Canon EOS-1D X & EF 24-70 f/2.8L II Delays Officially Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny... this time last year I was saying that it would make more sense for canon to release the 5d3 first and then the 1ds4/x and people argued with me saying that the flagship was older and needed the replacement and yada yada yada... and i ate crow when in the fall of last year Canon announced the 1dx and people were certain that the 1dx would be released before the 5d3 and the 5d3 would be later on in the year.... sure enough my theory came true... 5d3 is here and flying off the shelves and the 1dx is still no where to be seen. It's a shame we are seeing delays like this but in the end, how many 1d4 and 1ds3 user are demanding/desperate for the 1dx compared to 5d2 users for a 5d3? I may be a minority but I suppose I feel the 5d3 is more revolutionary to the 5d2 than the 1dx is the 1ds3 or the 1d4.

Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
DzPhotography said:
nikkito said:
NOOOOOOOOO O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Canon!!! my Birthday is in April 25th.

Now what???

i have to wait til June? i'm so angry
Get a 5DMkIII in the mean time to soften the blow? :p

hell yeah! but wait, i have no money left. Now I couldn't even buy a used 50mm f1.8 :p

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
From Canon
We previously reported that the Canon EOS-1D X had been delayed until June and the new EF 24-70 f/2.8L II delayed until July, both have been confirmed delays by Canon themselves.
There was no real reason given for the production delays.

Hey Craig and folks, do you have a link to the press release? Is it an official statement from US / UK?

As of now, Canon Japan still shows 1D X to be released in late April:

And they still shows 24-70 f/2.8 L II to be released in April:

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Bombsight said:
JR said:
Exactly! This really frustrating as they keep annoucing stuff but dont deliver on what has been annunced already.

This is my biggest problem with Canon. Stop the hype & quit putting the horse before the carriage!
Canon, you're getting a lot of flak because of sensationalizing your flagship before you can produce it.

You got it. So frustrating. Not sure if it was always like this but over the past year they really to struggle to dilever what marketing sold us!

Upvote 0
waving_odd said:
Hey Craig and folks, do you have a link to the press release? Is it an official statement from US / UK?

"London, UK, 12 April 2012 – Canon would like to advise of updated sales start dates for the previously announced EOS-1D X and EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM lens, due to a delay to the start of mass production. The EOS-1D X will now be available to buy from mid-June 2012, and the EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM lens from early-July. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to customers."

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/12/Canon-EOS-1DX-coming-in-june

This is as official as it will be. Don't expect any other statement from Canon. They hope the 4K cinema stuff will be burying this bad news fast.

Upvote 0
Shnookums said:
waving_odd said:

"London, UK, 12 April 2012 – Canon would like to advise of updated sales start dates for the previously announced EOS-1D X and EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM lens, due to a delay to the start of mass production. The EOS-1D X will now be available to buy from mid-June 2012, and the EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM lens from early-July. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to customers."

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/12/Canon-EOS-1DX-coming-in-june

This is as official as it will be. Don't expect any other statement from Canon. They hope the 4K cinema stuff will be burying this bad news fast.

Urgh... just found the statement from Canon UK too...

http://www.canon.co.uk/About_Us/Press_Centre/Press_Releases/Consumer_News/News/sales_start_dates_for_EOS-1D_X_EF_24-70mm.aspx

Upvote 0
dswatson83 said:
One more delay and they will miss the Olympics! This is scary. The dream camera for sports shooters may not be ready (and if ready, i'm sure there will be plenty of orders not yet filled) for the most extreme sporting event in the world.

Given the hint of their announced reason of delay (...due to a delay to the start of mass production...), I guess they should have produced / delivered enough units of 1D X to Olympics journalists. It sounds like the delay just affects the mass production for general public, while they might have created a separate production line for some sort of special (and early) order from large press houses...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
well, these are awful news indeed, for all of you who have been hopin to get their gear on time...
I am saving up for the 17-40 to purchase it along with the 5D3 around this time next year. Hope Canon will lower its pricetag a bit in the meantime. But having read some short test notes on DPR, ISO should be at least one or even two stops better than the 5D3s...Well, that doesn't make things easier, but it rocks quite a bit once the new cam hits the shelves...

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
pedro said:
well, these are awful news indeed, for all of you who have been hopin to get their gear on time...
I am saving up for the 17-40 to purchase it along with the 5D3 around this time next year. Hope Canon will lower its pricetag a bit in the meantime. But having read some short test notes on DPR, ISO should be at least one or even two stops better than the 5D3s...Well, that doesn't make things easier, but it rocks quite a bit once the new cam hits the shelves...

I would not bet on a price reduction, but bett iso then mkiii would be a good bet ;)

Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
Shnookums said:
waving_odd said:

This is why they did not give any info before. They wanted to inform the delay at the same time they launched new products so that it wouldn't make much noise.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
nikkito said:
Shnookums said:
waving_odd said:

This is why they did not give any info before. They wanted to inform the delay at the same time they launched new products so that it wouldn't make much noise.

Very good observation! Too bad we wont know more for now...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.