Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Coming in April 2016 [CR3]

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
that1guyy said:
I read that the touch screen is only for reviewing images and not to change settings or focus, which defeats the purpose IMO.

Not really defeating its purpose - http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/08/nikon-d5-specifications-and-features-explained-confidential-nikon-internal-document.aspx/

Easily tap the wrong place and you get unintended results.

Jack

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Bizzarre as it is to say, "I dont blame you". Obviously the 1DX is a fantastic camera, but oh lord would I kick myself in a few months. I'm sure returned it now while you still could for a full refund. Even if you decided to get a 1DX after the DX2 comes out, the 1DX will likely drop another $1000 in the next 30-60 days. Ride it out if you can.

john1970 said:
The predicted lists price of $5999 has just caused me to return the 1D X body that I recently purchased three weeks ago. Originally when I thought the 1D X MK II was going to cost $7000, $4600 for the old one appeared a good value, but at a difference of only $1400 I will purchased the MK II version instead.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Surapon is a hero and a modern day MacGyver, or MacGruber. He gets all the gear, and makes a lot of gizmos himself. And a great guy. Where is he, I haven't heard from him lately?

sek

rs said:
AshtonNekolah said:
ahsanford said:
Luds34 said:
helpful said:
I am so happy with Canon's decision to set the price at $5999 rather than $6,799.

Canon, I want you to know that the $800 difference will benefit you. Speaking for myself, I plan to purchase two this April, but would have purchased only one if the price were $6,799.

If the price drops by another thousand after the first year, I will likely purchase a third 1D X Mark II as well

Can I ask a dumb question? What would you do with 3 1DX type bodies?

I get owning 3 (or more) different bodies that serve different purposes. I get 2 of the same bodies with 2 different lenses in the midst of a shoot. But 3 at a time? Especially giant 1DX style?

Just curious.

I actually don't know first hand, but I could speculate:

1) You shoot sideline sports (especially in inclement weather) -- easier/faster/safer to swap rigs than swap lenses.

2) You buy/own all of your business' gear but you shoot events with a partner.

3) You are Surapon.

- A

3) You are Surapon. what does this mean? some kind of code for big shot or something?

Surapon is a bit of a legend around these parts:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=368824

http://petapixel.com/2013/12/18/photographer-blower-confiscated-tsa-fly-like-missile/

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Re: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Coming in April 2016 [CR3] Are you all crazy?

11 posts and already a bridge troll. This "canonrumors forum"
gold wing afterall. Welcome!

sek

GoldWing said:
Everyone here talking about how great the 1DX is before knowing the specs is CRAZY.

Why don't you fan boys at least try and make your comments look real!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
scottkinfw said:
Surapon is a hero and a modern day MacGyver, or MacGruber. He gets all the gear, and makes a lot of gizmos himself. And a great guy. Where is he, I haven't heard from him lately?

sek

I catch him on facebook on the Canon Professional Servcies page. Did you know he once made a camera with a rubberband, a piece of twine, and a paperclip?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
neuroanatomist said:
keriboi said:
PureClassA said:
Seems to me that Canon would want to injure Nikon D5 pre-orders any way they can, so the earlier the better. Tomorrow would be fine for me. You guys?

What if the Canon specs dont match the nikon and it has the same poor DR and high iso noisier?

I wasn't aware that Nikon specified the DR or noise for the D5. Can you please point me to the relevant specs for comparison?

I doubt there are many people choosing between the two cameras. At that level most of the customers are very invested in their previously chosen brand. I don't think there would be enough ship jumpers to hurt either brand. I know I wouldn't no matter what Nikon or Sony does. I'd have to win the lottery to start over and still wouldn't. I'm just glad I chose Canon.

Camera bodies come and go. The glass stays around much longer. From what I've read, Canon generally beats all other brands in the glass department.

Yeah, there are people screaming they'll jump to another brand if Canon doesn't do this or that. There's a bunch of them on these boards. Most of them just like to scream. Some switch brands. The rest of the screamers just like to scream.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
keriboi said:
PureClassA said:
Seems to me that Canon would want to injure Nikon D5 pre-orders any way they can, so the earlier the better. Tomorrow would be fine for me. You guys?

What if the Canon specs dont match the nikon and it has the same poor DR and high iso noisier?

I wasn't aware that Nikon specified the DR or noise for the D5. Can you please point me to the relevant specs for comparison?

I doubt there are many people choosing between the two cameras. At that level most of the customers are very invested in their previously chosen brand. I don't think there would be enough ship jumpers to hurt either brand. I know I wouldn't no matter what Nikon or Sony does. I'd have to win the lottery to start over and still wouldn't. I'm just glad I chose Canon.

Camera bodies come and go. The glass stays around much longer. From what I've read, Canon generally beats all other brands in the glass department.

Yeah, there are people screaming they'll jump to another brand if Canon doesn't do this or that. There's a bunch of them on these boards. Most of them just like to scream. Some switch brands. The rest of the screamers just like to scream.
I think the actual question is if the 1DXII improvements are sufficient to motivate 1DX owners to upgrade. We should know in a few weeks.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
And there may be numbers of those who have lagged behind, say 1D4 owners and then like me who came in a few years ago at a lower level and have learned enough to understand/justify/rationalize such a purchase.

It's a special experience to be able to step into something that is out of your league and an anomaly relative to all other purchases, just like I really appreciate the 11-24. I'd rather hike with a camera than drive a fancy car (hoping it won't be heavier! :().

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Eldar said:
CanonFanBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
keriboi said:
PureClassA said:

I think the actual question is if the 1DXII improvements are sufficient to motivate 1DX owners to upgrade. We should know in a few weeks.

As a long time 1Ds MkIII user my interest is in MP, I am slightly disappointed in the rumored 21mp as what I'd really like is 24-28, I don't want or need 50 mp particularly and I am well used to the 1series niceties and refinement, it seems such a shame that the 1DsMkIII, the greatest stills orientated DSLR Canon have made, morphed into the 1DC videocentric tool with nothing for the higher end stills orientated shooter.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Eldar said:

Not to mention 1D4 and 1Ds III owners. Perhaps even some 5D3 owners too. Not sure how many 1DX owners will upgrade in the first year though. I think the major users in news houses who are already over 400k shutter actuations may ;-) Beauty with Canon is that these things have a 3-4 year life cycle anyway.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
PureClassA said:
scottkinfw said:

sek

I catch him on facebook on the Canon Professional Servcies page. Did you know he once made a camera with a rubberband, a piece of twine, and a paperclip?

you forgot the chewing gum.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2011
PureClassA said:
Eldar said:

Not to mention 1D4 and 1Ds III owners. Perhaps even some 5D3 owners too. Not sure how many 1DX owners will upgrade in the first year though. I think the major users in news houses who are already over 400k shutter actuations may ;-) Beauty with Canon is that these things have a 3-4 year life cycle anyway.

As a 1D4 owner will wait until prices settle. Just splurged on 11-24mm at very competitive price.

Upvote 0
Wow. I hadnt posted in over a year but I constantly read the site.

Back to topic. This camera is bound to make an appearance at The Super Bowl, right? America's biggest sporting event, by far, and there is bound to be a 1DX II on the sidelines. A prototype or three should be in full use.

When the 1dx II finally arrives, Ill be scouting for some good deals on the 1dx. Now, I still am real happy with my 7d Mark II purchase. It has been great for sports and other events but I learned it is handy to have two cameras. There was a big HS football matchup between two powerhouse schools. One from California and one from Texas. It was featured on ESPN and I decided to rent a 1dx to go along with my 7d II. Late in the 3rd, my 7d ii was having some quirks about the lens. It kept shutting down and the 1dx saved my bacon. The 7d II started working in mid 4th quarter and I still dont know why it was acting up but it hasnt happened since that night.

The 1dx was awesome in low light and I think the photos looked cleaner than the photos from the 7d II. The af was fantastic once I got the hang of it and I was glad to shoot in a lower ISO at f/4.

Im gonna get one and have 2 cameras at all times. Now I gotta get another lens. Probably a 24-70 f 2.8. I like the 7d ii with the 70-200 2.8 is II. The reach is too valuable to me and I cant get big 400s yet.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I dont know how much they will settle and how quickly. We've had fast/significant price changes in the last couple years because of the Yen's falling value against USD. It's gone from 80:1 to 120:1 since 2012 when the 1DX came out. It's seems to have settled for the time being. Canon may do some rebates here and there, but I wouldn't expect prices to fall in the first year (unless the Yen falls to 140-150)

iaind said:
PureClassA said:
Eldar said:

As a 1D4 owner will wait until prices settle. Just splurged on 11-24mm at very competitive price.

Upvote 0