Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Firmware 1.1 Coming Soon

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
neuroanatomist said:
pj1974 said:
neuroanatomist said:
True...but the 1D X II would be the camera of choice if you were involved in a land war in Asia.

"I've been shooting bracketed HDR images for so long... *grunt*
.... that I've forgotten how to take single exposures" *thud*
[1DXII falls to ground, defeated] :eek:

"I do not envy you the battery drain you will have when you power on, but in the meantime, sleep well and dream of large lenses."
[runs off]

;D 8)

:D & ;D

And one scene earlier:
5DIV duelling with [Insert 'competition' here]

'Competition' (to the 5DIV): "You seem like such a nice, low noise, high Dynamic Range, Shadow-pushable camera, I'd hate to outsell you!"

Canon 5DIV in reply: "And you seem like such a capable camera, I'd hate to be 'doomed'!"

(I will let your imagination run wild with the left-hand vs right-hand swordsmanship aspect, being the changing of lenses... insert DxO theme music here...)

Both swap lenses, and 5DIV emerges as victor.... runs off to battle IDXII

Upvote 0
brett b said:
I can't decide if the timing of this announcement is fortunate for me or not. I received an RMA # and return shipping label from B&H early today.
I received my 1DXII yesterday. Once the battery was charged I shot 8 images and looked at them on the lcd screen and was surprised to see the very strong green/yellow cast to the displayed images. I took the cf card from a recent headshots shoot with the 1DX and looked at the images in the 1DXII. Those images also showed the extreme green/yellow cast. I took the same cf card and looked at the images in my 5DIII and 1DIV. The images displayed well on the lcd's of all except the 1DXII.
I had not noticed anyone complaining about this...however, I'm rarely looking at the forums on any of the usual sites in recent years. So, I googled the problem and found that there was one post written here and one in the FM forums about the issue. I also found it discussed on two additional sites. But it seemed rare because most of those responding said their 1DXII lcd was displaying image very similar to their other recent camera bodies, typically their 1DX & 5DIII bodies.
I have it packed up and ready to drop it off at UPS and now I read that there will be a firmware fix. I can have a new one by Monday once this one is on it's way back to B&H (they have been fantastic, by the way). Or I can wait for the firmware to be released.
Does anyone remember how long it is, typically, between the announcement of a Canon firmware and the actual release of the firmware?

Your lcd sounds faulty, my 1dx2 lcd is fine and similar output to my 6d. Better to just replace it, these lcd firmware tones may be off also, and they're not designed to fix a hardware fault, just environmental conditions. It could also be a problem that leads to other problems later. You want ur brand new investment to be in top condition at the beginning

And u waited for the battery to be charged before trying it? I know that's technically correct but how could u wait? Hehe I couldn't wait on arrival and had to play with it asap on a small charge, too excited!

Upvote 0
brett b said:
I can't decide if the timing of this announcement is fortunate for me or not. I received an RMA # and return shipping label from B&H early today.
I received my 1DXII yesterday. Once the battery was charged I shot 8 images and looked at them on the lcd screen and was surprised to see the very strong green/yellow cast to the displayed images. I took the cf card from a recent headshots shoot with the 1DX and looked at the images in the 1DXII. Those images also showed the extreme green/yellow cast. I took the same cf card and looked at the images in my 5DIII and 1DIV. The images displayed well on the lcd's of all except the 1DXII.
I had not noticed anyone complaining about this...however, I'm rarely looking at the forums on any of the usual sites in recent years. So, I googled the problem and found that there was one post written here and one in the FM forums about the issue. I also found it discussed on two additional sites. But it seemed rare because most of those responding said their 1DXII lcd was displaying image very similar to their other recent camera bodies, typically their 1DX & 5DIII bodies.
I have it packed up and ready to drop it off at UPS and now I read that there will be a firmware fix. I can have a new one by Monday once this one is on it's way back to B&H (they have been fantastic, by the way). Or I can wait for the firmware to be released.
Does anyone remember how long it is, typically, between the announcement of a Canon firmware and the actual release of the firmware?

Firmware wont fix that. Sounds like a faulty lcd. Color should be reasonably close out of the box. Have it exchanged for another one.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
adhocphotographer said:
This was an entertaining thread... :)

But i think it does not make sense not including DPRAW in the update... if it is soon awesome, why is not in the 1DXII?

We don't have enough information yet. There could potentially be some small hardware configuration variances between the DPAF on the 5D4 and the 1DX2. Not sure what they would/could be though. Neuro is the brains there. I'm Just making guesses.

This is why I asked earlier that given these two cameras were developed virtually along side one another at almost the same times, it seems curious why the 2nd tier camera would receive such a benefit but not the flagship. If they were a year apart, I might understand that. I also concede that perhaps at the time of the release of the DX2, the use of DP RAW had not been considered or the firmware for it perhaps not yet completed. Now that it is, I'm curious to know what (if anything) on the DX2 prevents it. I just bought one last night LOL. So I'd love to have that feature myself

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
PureClassA said:
There could potentially be some small hardware configuration variances between the DPAF on the 5D4 and the 1DX2.

Just idle speculation on my part - if Canon has separate development teams for the 5-series and 1-series bodies it could lead to a bit of one upmanship with the 5-series group saying, "ha! we'll show those flagship guys what we can do!". Probably not, but who knows what goes on in these giant corporations.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
GuyF said:
PureClassA said:
There could potentially be some small hardware configuration variances between the DPAF on the 5D4 and the 1DX2.

Just idle speculation on my part - if Canon has separate development teams for the 5-series and 1-series bodies it could lead to a bit of one upmanship with the 5-series group saying, "ha! we'll show those flagship guys what we can do!". Probably not, but who knows what goes on in these giant corporations.

That is a possibility, but not too probable. Canon seems to have very tight integration from one line to the next, even if it is an entirely separate team that develops each (which I highly doubt) Even still there are active management decisions at a more senior level at day's end whereby feature sets are finalized based upon what other current and imminent (say, within a year) products do/will have.

Upvote 0
Ive had a very specific bug fix request since day one , hoping it was taken care of with this update. And that is, shooting tethered with Ethernet cable to computer via Safari wft mode, when viewing images on the camera card using Web browser, vertical images are not displayed vertically. Annoying as hell,bit not as annoying as the no response from canon cps peeps in Canada.

Fingers crossed, downloading asap

Upvote 0
What ''could'' Canon do with this firmware upgrade but simply decided not to?

-DPRAW Format

-Continuous DPAF shooting in liveview (stills)

-Expanded touchscreen functionality (with an options to turn it off)

-4K HDR video! (possible as it shoots 4K 60p)

-Canon Log (Gives it absolute zero digital sharpening which pictures styles don't, resulting in a slight ''video'' look, and adds full two stops of highlight dynamic range)

-Timelapse Intervalometer (Is it really missing? It must be somewhere in the menu. It's on the 7D!)

-Zebra pattern

-Focus Peaking

-Video assist (A 1DC feature where it records C-Log but shows a rec.709 image whilst shooting)

-16:9 UHD mode (3840x2160) (for direct viewing/editing on 16:9 screens, which all HD/4k TVs are.)

-Auto ISO In Manual Exposure mode with Exposure Compensation (movie mode)

-HDR Bracketing

This firmware update would attract enormous customer base (especially LOADS from the professional videographic/cinema industry) just by simple firmware tweaks.

And it's their absolute flagship camera so what are they protecting? Nothing. Except maybe the 1DX MKIII? (don't say C line because they already had the 1D-C that never compromised CX00 sales)

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Yes, because it is well-known that software is just willed into existence. It does not take money, time or personnel resources, so it's just a choice not to make it happen. Everything is always "small firmware tweaks". Nobody ever needs to prioritize what to implement and when, and armchair analysts on internet forums know how Canon's R&D, sales, marketing, and finances operate better than Canon itself ::)

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
--Bertrand Russell, "The Triumph of Stupidity," 1933

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Ebrahim Saadawi said:

This firmware update would attract enormous customer base (especially LOADS from the professional videographic/cinema industry) just by simple firmware tweaks.

And it's their absolute flagship camera so what are they protecting? Nothing. Except maybe the 1DX MKIII? (don't say C line because they already had the 1D-C that never compromised CX00 sales)

There's more firmware updates to go, the camera's only been out four months. This update was aimed squared to solve some problems for photojournalists like myself. That doesn't mean they forgot about all of the other users of the 1DX mark II, it just means we had some small, specific needs and they took care of that. I'm looking forward to all of these features when they come out. You can't blame them for that.

I also doubt they planned this firmware update out in advance of releasing the camera-- I'd say it's more likely that this was a quick solution to aid the major news organizations such as the AP and Getty Images that buy hundreds, if not thousands, of 1DX mark II. Some of this might have even been insight from the Olympic games.

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:
Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Yes, because it is well-known that software is just willed into existence. It does not take money, time or personnel resources, so it's just a choice not to make it happen. Everything is always "small firmware tweaks". Nobody ever needs to prioritize what to implement and when, and armchair analysts on internet forums know how Canon's R&D, sales, marketing, and finances operate better than Canon itself ::)

Do you have any idea how large and resourceful Canon is as a company? The type and number of the world's highest acclaimed engineers and developers, the amount of liquidity that's put into each division responsible for design, sofrware, marketing, testing, etc. If you don't know: It's HUGE.

Their ''ability'' to implement these firmware festures (that ML -a punch of coders in their mothers basement- added, and added them extremely well, with very little effort and very little time) is absolutely zero work compared to Canon JP's capability,

They can EASILY add all of those, and much more that we never though about, but they don't. This only means they're restricted by the marketing department.

After all if we add all these features, designing a 1DX III would be incredibly hard. So marketing team isn't stupid too...

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Ebrahim Saadawi said:
Do you have any idea how large and resourceful Canon is as a company? The type and number of the world's highest acclaimed engineers and developers, the amount of liquidity that's put into each division responsible for design, sofrware, marketing, testing, etc. If you don't know: It's HUGE.

Their ''ability'' to implement these firmware festures (that ML -a punch of coders in their mothers basement- added, and added them extremely well, with very little effort and very little time) is absolutely zero work compared to Canon JP's capability,

They can EASILY add all of those, and much more that we never though about, but they don't. This only means they're restricted by the marketing department.

After all if we add all these features, designing a 1DX III would be incredibly hard. So marketing team isn't stupid too...

So you think the whole engineering division is just fiddling its thumbs because the marketing team says they're not allowed to work? Yes, of course it's an executive decision to have the R&D FOCUS ON SOMETHING ELSE that is projected to be more profitable. Given Canon's continuing financial success I'd say they're pretty good at prioritizing. So it is obviously a question of prioritizing and not a question of whether to do something or just pay the engineers for browsing whatever the Japanese equivalent of Reddit is.

Upvote 0

1DX2Uncut

Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II & 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II
Aug 12, 2016
Southern California
I hope V1.1 further fixes the corrupted image issue. I experienced it yesterday with a SanDisk Extreme PRO CFast 64GB card. Running Version 1.0.2 firmware (that came pre-installed) on my EOS 1D X Mark II. The SanDisk card was formatted in camera.

I experienced 2 corrupted images with a strange incorrect color profile (all dark blue) and one image was cut off on the left side of the frame (not the previously known issue of cutting off at the bottom of frame).

I need to buy more CFast cards and they won't be SanDisk anytime soon!

Is anyone else still experiencing any problems?

I did support a report to Canon and asked if Ver. 1.1 would further address this issue.

Upvote 0