Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Firmware 1.1 Coming Soon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Based on feedback from large photo organizations, news photojournalists, and so on, Canon has delivered a significant firmware upgrade for the EOS-1D X Mark II camera.  Firmware upgrade version 1.1 clearly targets professional users and organizations, but as you’ll see, some of these features may be useful to individual working pros or even serious photography enthusiasts.  We’ll examine what’s new in this firmware upgrade in this article.</p>
<p><strong>In a nutshell: what’s new and different?</strong></p>
<p>This new upgrade (version 1.1) addresses specific issues that professional news and photojournalism organizations have brought to Canon’s attention — we understand that not all of these will be important in more ordinary, everyday use to individual photographers. That said, the changes and new features that this firmware adds to the EOS-1D X Mark II camera are the ability to:</p>
<ul>
<li>Install up to 39 items of IPTC information into the camera, and to add data (or deliberately not apply it) to images you take</li>
<li>Add set-up information for up to 40 new Wi-Fi® networks to a memory card, and load that data as a full set of possible Wi-Fi networks to select from for connection</li>
<li>Transfer only “protected” images via Wi-Fi</li>
<li>Retain GPS position data:  Continue to apply last known GPS location information to images subsequently taken, even if GPS connection is lost (photographer went inside a building, etc.)</li>
<li>Change LCD color tone (four pre-defined settings), to either approximate display from other cameras you’re working with, or to shift color tone based on ambient lighting as the LCD monitor is being used</li>
</ul>
<p>The aim of these changes is to enhance a professional photographer’s workflow; improve on-location network and Wi-Fi operations (especially for photographers working at large events, with many Wi-Fi networks in simultaneous operation); and to smooth the process of transferring images and managing them with new embedded metadata.  We’ll take a brief look at each, to shed some light on what changes and potential applications have been implemented.</p>
<p>Keep in mind that the EOS-1D X Mark II differs from other Canon EOS models in that it not only permits network communication and transfer of images via Wi-Fi (using the optional WFT-E8A or WFT-E6A wireless file transmitters), but also via wired ethernet connection — there’s a dedicated ethernet port on the camera for this purpose.  This allows similar network connectivity, but without some of the variables users can encounter on-location with Wi-Fi transmission.  Firmware v. 1.1 doesn’t change this; we only want to remind users of it here.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos1dx-markii-firmware-update.shtml">Read more at the Canon Digital Learning Center</a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jul 21, 2010
Sharlin said:
neuroanatomist said:
Yeah, my 1D X can't shoot in-camera HDR but Rebel/xxxD bodies as can my EOS M and even PowerShot cameras. It's so unfair!

Not to mention the food mode...

Indeed...

Canon-EOS-T6-Food-Mode-Dial.jpg

Heck, my pathetic 1D X doesn't even have a mode dial at all. No green square mode, no sports mode. Damn Canon for crippling my camera!

;D

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
neuroanatomist said:
KiagiJ said:
No dual pixel raw then? No time lapse stills/video, no creative aspect ratios. Why should a flagship lack what lesser bodies have? Should be complete with all, ugh

Yeah, my 1D X can't shoot in-camera HDR but Rebel/xxxD bodies as can my EOS M and even PowerShot cameras. It's so unfair!

I would agree in most cases but given that both these cameras were in development (mostly) at the same time and they were released only a few months apart, I am also a bit frustrated they wouldnt bring those features up into the DX2 as well via firmware. And I'm planning buying one this weekend most likely anyway. If they can't do DP RAW in the DX2, i'd be curious to learn why

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
PureClassA said:
neuroanatomist said:
KiagiJ said:
No dual pixel raw then? No time lapse stills/video, no creative aspect ratios. Why should a flagship lack what lesser bodies have? Should be complete with all, ugh

So you can buy more cameras. $$$$$$$$$

I would agree in most cases but given that both these cameras were in development (mostly) at the same time and they were released only a few months apart, I am also a bit frustrated they wouldnt bring those features up into the DX2 as well via firmware. And I'm planning buying one this weekend most likely anyway. If they can't do DP RAW in the DX2, i'd be curious to learn why

Upvote 0
Id have liked some simple playback touch screen features haha, even the new touch to shoot thats in the 5D4.. but hay ho.. anyway I said I'd never use it ;) :D

On another note I shot some slow mo today and a little 4k, for a stills guy I have to say... AWESOME!!! Each day I use the 1DX2 I love it more and more!

Now Mr Canon, gimme my new firmware :D

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
neuroanatomist said:
True...but the 1D X II would be the camera of choice if you were involved in a land war in Asia.

"I've been shooting bracketed HDR images for so long... *grunt*
.... that I've forgotten how to take single exposures" *thud*
[1DXII falls to ground, defeated] :eek:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
pj1974 said:
neuroanatomist said:
True...but the 1D X II would be the camera of choice if you were involved in a land war in Asia.

"I've been shooting bracketed HDR images for so long... *grunt*
.... that I've forgotten how to take single exposures" *thud*
[1DXII falls to ground, defeated] :eek:

"I do not envy you the battery drain you will have when you power on, but in the meantime, sleep well and dream of large lenses."
[runs off]

;D 8)

Upvote 0
uxr51 said:
They did not add dual pixel raw, HDR, added touchscreen functionality to protect their 5D IV camera. ;D

Now you need to buy the 5d IV + C line video camera.

Any chance of this would likely come after 6mo to a year after 5d4 hits the market...if at all. New major functionality for a flagship camera will only likely come after soaked in with a lesser model.

Upvote 0
I can't decide if the timing of this announcement is fortunate for me or not. I received an RMA # and return shipping label from B&H early today.
I received my 1DXII yesterday. Once the battery was charged I shot 8 images and looked at them on the lcd screen and was surprised to see the very strong green/yellow cast to the displayed images. I took the cf card from a recent headshots shoot with the 1DX and looked at the images in the 1DXII. Those images also showed the extreme green/yellow cast. I took the same cf card and looked at the images in my 5DIII and 1DIV. The images displayed well on the lcd's of all except the 1DXII.
I had not noticed anyone complaining about this...however, I'm rarely looking at the forums on any of the usual sites in recent years. So, I googled the problem and found that there was one post written here and one in the FM forums about the issue. I also found it discussed on two additional sites. But it seemed rare because most of those responding said their 1DXII lcd was displaying image very similar to their other recent camera bodies, typically their 1DX & 5DIII bodies.
I have it packed up and ready to drop it off at UPS and now I read that there will be a firmware fix. I can have a new one by Monday once this one is on it's way back to B&H (they have been fantastic, by the way). Or I can wait for the firmware to be released.
Does anyone remember how long it is, typically, between the announcement of a Canon firmware and the actual release of the firmware?

Upvote 0