Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’re told that the follow-up to the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II has begun field testing with a very small number of photographers and/or engineers. The Canon EOS-1D X Mark II was announced on February 1, 2016. This makes an imminent announcement seem highly unlikely.
2020 is an Olympic year and it just so happens that the summer games are in Tokyo, Japan and Canon is a huge Olympic sponsor, and will likely be an even bigger one with the games being in their home country.
We have no idea what the specifications for the camera will be at this time, and we don’t expect an announcement until the very end of 2019 at the earliest. An announcement ahead of CP+ 2020 next February wouldn’t surprise us.
Whenever it does come, will this be the last of the Canon EOS-1D series of DSLRs?

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Interesting, knowing how aggressively Canon has gone to RF mount.

There's little chance that they could get a 1DX level R body out before the games, and even less chance that they could get photographers to switch. A comprehensive selection of R sports lenses won't be there either.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
There's little chance that they could get a 1DX level R body out before the games, and even less chance that they could get photographers to switch. A comprehensive selection of R sports lenses won't be there either.
Have you seen an account where the EF to RF converters did not work flawlessly? So far, I have seen nothing but praise. I do not think glass would be an issue and I do not know what Canon has up their sleeve internally for the next R, but considering they've been working on DPAF since the 70D, I do wonder how far off a Professional R camera really is. As noted above, Canon has been dropping a lot of resources into the segment.

That said, I am happy to see a DSLR rumor. As I've been reading/watching about the RF/EOS R and looking at all my EF glass, I have started to wonder if I won't just stay in the EF-DSLR world for awhile. I could use a converter with a new R body (once one I want is announced), but I know as soon as I have one I am going to want RF lenses and that is where $$$ starts flowing from my bank account.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Maybe it will be a further evolution (R is supposed to be the revolution...) and besides being a new standard for speed, they will simply add in things that were left out before without compromising durability.

Things like wifi, C-Log, newer codecs, 4k 10-bit HDMI out, true silent mode in LV, all the DPAF focus modes enabled, intervalometer, full touchscreen(probably still fixed), dual CFast, etc.

Of course, if they want to raise eyebrows, they might do a hybrid OVF/EVF as well...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
If the sensors are newer die shrunk layers behind the sensor layer the readout should be much faster. If they've gone elsewhere with manufacturing their digic 9 chipsets faster computations and clock speeds can make a big difference.

The tracking tests for the R show that while it shoots slow, the focus is nearly perfect with the shots it foes manage to capture. What seems to be needed more than anything is just more raw speed of said processing.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Maybe it will be a further evolution (R is supposed to be the revolution...) and besides being a new standard for speed, they will simply add in things that were left out before without compromising durability.

Things like wifi, C-Log, newer codecs, 4k 10-bit HDMI out, true silent mode in LV, all the DPAF focus modes enabled, intervalometer, full touchscreen(probably still fixed), dual CFast, etc.

Of course, if they want to raise eyebrows, they might do a hybrid OVF/EVF as well...
EOS R is not a revolution sensor wise. Now all the above are welcome additions but a higher resolution (say 24Mp ) with even better performance at low and high iso would be perfect :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Guys be ready for 30fps at 1080p, yes, Canon for the Olympics, will degrade the new bodies so you have to buy the old ones back again !
"proutprout
Im New Troll Here"

Welcome to Canonrumors. with your optimism and inside knowledge, it's good to have you here!:p

Reactions: 21 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
EOS R is not a revolution sensor wise. Now all the above are welcome additions but a higher resolution (say 24Mp ) with even better performance at low and high iso would be perfect :)
It will be a new sensor (as always) and 24MP seems logical, although the video folks will be annoyed by the increased 4k crop factor.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Interesting, knowing how aggressively Canon has gone to RF mount.

It shows they can't yet make a true heavy duty pro mirrorless yet. That is smart seeing that unless the pro mirrorless hits it out of the ball park, to go with what works. And with all the new pro/long EF lenses just introduced this makes a lot of sense.
I am still cheering for a pro level mirrorless like the 5D or D850 sooner than later.
Once that happens I will upgrade my old 7D.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

Might be a good time to introduce the CF Express into the lexicon.

Upvote 0