Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Actually Sony struggles with AF in video compared to Canon's DPAF.
Canon is very smooth and Sony is jerky and amateurish by comparison.
See reviews that are not fanboy of Sony. Very eye opening.

Yes, but my point was neither about video nor AF accuracy. It was solely about throughput. The R can do 5.5fps with Servo AF, or less if focus priority is enabled. I’d like to see a Canon R body capable of even 8fps before I believe they can do the jump to 14+.

Canon indubitably owns video AF right now, and one-shot DPAF is good as well. Object tracking likewise. But DPAF is not without drawbacks.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...We want a big bulky durable camera that can get drenched, dropped, and beaten,familiar grip and button layout and not some lightweight camera that doesn’t balance out our super telephotos with terrrible ergonomics... if improved autofocus... The 1dxmkii is an incredible and reliable camera, it will be hard to beat.

I'm convinced that mirrorless fetishists are a religious cult. And, an annoying one at that, because they want to force their preferences on everyone else. And that's in the face of Canon saying the EF series and DSLRs are not going anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Why else announce the development a f/2.8 with IS 15-35, 24-70, 70-200 lens and future RF mount camera bodies with in body image stabalization (IBIS)?

There is a leaked Canon presentation showing both IBIS+IS working together. This is similar to what Panasonic is doing with both the IBIS + Lens IS working together to get 6 stop stabilization instead of 5.5.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I strongly suspect that Canon is waiting for a new sensor to debut the Pro R (and that it explains their delay in releasing one). I think they would have released a Pro R already if they thought they could, but with all the flack they got for recycling sensors in the R and RP could you imagine if they did it in an even more expensive camera? I don't think it would fly at all.
Canon may have run out of sensors to recycle anyway.

Upvote 0

Canon IBIS https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-has-appeared-to-confirm-ibis-is-on-the-roadmap/

RF lenses I mentioned are under development https://fstoppers.com/gear/canon-officially-announces-development-six-new-rf-series-lenses-340538

Canon CEO interview summary of the Janury 25 interview.
  • mirrorless camera sales aren't adding to its bottom line, but are instead eating into the sales of DSLRs
  • Canon expects that 10 million units 2018 shipment for prosumer and professional cameras to drop down to and plateau at roughly 5-6 million units by the end of 2020.
This does not mean Canon or Nikon will stop the manufacturing of current DSLR bodies, lenses and accessories. It just means no more R&D money spent for future products.

Canon has more than a dozen DSLR bodies being sold at BH today and I see Canon continue manufacturing at least half of them beyond the year 2023.

It would be a pleasant surprise if the 1DX3 will be a DSLR.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I strongly suspect that Canon is waiting for a new sensor to debut the Pro R (and that it explains their delay in releasing one). I think they would have released a Pro R already if they thought they could, but with all the flack they got for recycling sensors in the R and RP could you imagine if they did it in an even more expensive camera? I don't think it would fly at all.
Canon may just want to avoid the Osborne Effect.

The delay has more to do with trying to avoid cannibalizing the sales of 1DX2, 5D4 & 5DsR before the year 2020.

Upvote 0
Interesting ... well at least there should be some action on the used market as people sell to upgrade.
I've noticed Canon lowering prices of the new model to its street price by its 6th month of introduction.

If I were to buy any Canon pro product like the 1DX3 MILC it would be after the 2020 Olympics in August.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
If it's any decent specs, I'll buy one. 1Dx(1) already flipped the mirror quite many times, so time to retire soon.

I'm making a prediction, you can quote me on this in about one year time:

"They will announce EF and R versions less than 6 months apart."

As much as they have been pushing for R, I'm happy to hear there's 1DX3-EF coming as that's what I want. However, the R-push makes me believe they are working on R-variant on the side. Not in time to be fully released before Tokyo, but maybe couple prototypes already at the hands of select individuals. And then perhaps slightly after Tokyo if they deem they are close enough to DSLR version, they'll announce the 1R with couple special lenses to be released before next winter olympics. Maybe even 200-400R.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon IBIS https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-has-appeared-to-confirm-ibis-is-on-the-roadmap/

RF lenses I mentioned are under development https://fstoppers.com/gear/canon-officially-announces-development-six-new-rf-series-lenses-340538

Canon CEO interview summary of the Janury 25 interview.
  • mirrorless camera sales aren't adding to its bottom line, but are instead eating into the sales of DSLRs
  • Canon expects that 10 million units 2018 shipment for prosumer and professional cameras to drop down to and plateau at roughly 5-6 million units by the end of 2020.
This does not mean Canon or Nikon will stop the manufacturing of current DSLR bodies, lenses and accessories. It just means no more R&D money spent for future products.

Canon has more than a dozen DSLR bodies being sold at BH today and I see Canon continue manufacturing at least half of them beyond the year 2023.

It would be a pleasant surprise if the 1DX3 will be a DSLR.

That's why I referenced confirmation bias. You are taking a bunch of unrelated factoids and using them to draw a conclusion about the future of DSLRs that supports your own bias. Canon officials have made public statements that they do not see mirrorless as a replacement for DSLRs. Canon doesn't know if mirrorless will ultimately replace DSLRs. If they don't know, I don't understand why you seem to be so certain.

Upvote 0
Ooh, 21.8MP, 16fps,, Tweaked 61pt AF, dual CFExpress, blah blah blah.

Maybe they can surprise, but surprising us would be a surprise nowadays in itself. Hopefully it's not another lame update like the 1DXII and they go out with a bang.

My specs:
24.2MP stacked sensor, 1/200s read speed
14EV DR @ISO80-125, 0.5EV more DR through rest of range than 1DXII
ISO 80-102K, expanded to ISO 40-808K, same per-pixel noise as 1DXII
Hybrid operation. 14fps mechanical shutter
10fps e-shutter using DPAF, LV through hybrid OVF+EVF (3.69MP)
all new AF covering 70% of VF, few hundred points, all x-type to f/5.6, subset x-type to f/8, central cluster x-type @ f/11. AF down to EV -5
eye-AF in LV and AF-C up to 10fps
New efficient video codecs, no more mjpg garbage, 200Mb/s, c-log, zebras,
4K@ 24p,25p,30p, 48p, 50p, 60p, from 5K and downsampled
1080p @ 240p, 180p, 120p as well as standard options
illuminated buttons
flip-out screen
Dual CFExpress
1.4kg

This is the sort of revolution they need, 1DXIII has to go out with a bang.

Upvote 0
Canon may just want to avoid the Osborne Effect.

The delay has more to do with trying to avoid cannibalizing the sales of 1DX2, 5D4 & 5DsR before the year 2020.

They would want to release a pro model of 5D and 1D FF mirrorless soon. Nikon, Sony, Panasonic isn't going to sit idle. Tamron already provide great lens for Sony and Sigma will offer for Panasonic option at CP+. As a long time Canon user who has never switch, I'm already toying with the idea of adding a non Canon FF mirrorless camera and using adapter.

It could be a couple things they are working on that they are trying to get perfect: better eyeAF, IBIS, new sensor, 4K, new card format.

If they release a pro body without IBIS and charge $3500, they would definitely get alot of flack.
If they reuse 5D IV sensor or similiar performance (ISO, DR, FPS) for $3500, they would get alot of flack.
If they still have 4K heavily cropped, they would get alot of flack.

Upvote 0
All this makes me think that if Canon doesn't prove it's ability to throw lots of megapixels (at least 30) through to a memory card more than 8-10 times per second in a mirrorless body, then it doesn't make sense for me to invest in EF glass (on the way out) nor R bodies (not capable enough). If the 2020 Olympics offering is a 1 series body upgrade about as incremental as the last one, I won't expect Canon will provide what I need, which would greatly sadden me. If they came out with a great 1 series upgrade, I might get that as a stop-gap to allow me to use current glass and give time for mirrorless to catch up. Not that other people's use cases aren't well taken care of by these current offerings. And not that the RF lenses are the most exciting thing happening in the industry right now from an academic perspective. Between now and that next release, I'm experimenting with both the R system, and I'm going to also play around with either the L mount stuff - once Sigma's glass comes out - or the next rev of the Sony A9 or A7r. Best case: Canon surprises us with something great. I have my fingers crossed, but I'm worried enough that I'm spending time and money exploring other things to do due diligence.

Panasonic S1 is very interesting camera for me. It has ergonomic, weather sealing, eyeAF, IBIS, dual card slot, good video option, weather sealing, touch screen LCD, 5.8 million dot EVF. Pretty much everything I wish Canon EOS R Pro would be for $2500. The high ISO is very clean and it focus fast even in dark situation. The only unknown is how well the EF-L adapter works.

If Sony come out with next gen A9 or A7R with 5.76 million dot EVF, best eyeAF with live tracking and fully touch screen LCD like a6400, I would switch and get 2 Tamron lenses for cheap.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
Panasonic S1 is very interesting camera for me. It has ergonomic, weather sealing, eyeAF, IBIS, dual card slot, good video option, weather sealing, touch screen LCD, 5.8 million dot EVF. Pretty much everything I wish Canon EOS R Pro would be for $2500. The high ISO is very clean and it focus fast even in dark situation. The only unknown is how well the EF-L adapter works.

If Sony come out with next gen A9 or A7R with 5.76 million dot EVF, best eyeAF with live tracking and fully touch screen LCD like a6400, I would switch and get 2 Tamron lenses for cheap.
When you do finally end up switching, make sure you let us know......jeez

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
RF/ML is the future. Just like digital supplanted film, RF / ML will supplant the dSLR/EOS sytem
The flaw in your analogy is that film as a product, was two fold (product and development) and it's availability of both declined and for development even disappeared in certain areas. The mechanical change you mention changes nothing but consumer sales. Thus it's not a paradigm shift but an evolution in choices. Current DSLR's will continue to work and be used, unlike many film bodies which could not be used by a vast majority of shooters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0