Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
What were they working out with those models? I just read a review of them that said everything on them works fine. I don't think Canon was debugging its system. It just didn't see a point in releasing a pro body when there were only 4-5 lenses it could use, and which body would then be out of date by the time there were over a dozen. Then as now: take a year or two to build up the lens system, and let the pro market start penciling in a purchase of the forthcoming model when they see your commitment. THEN release the pro model. It worked before. I don't see why it won't keep working.

First they are not going to tell you or anyone anything.
Then why were cameras like the 650 and 620 introduced prior to the 1?
They are definitely looking at these cameras in the real world.
Why did the bar disappear from the back of the RP?
We don't know why.
Think outside the box, if you have a brand new untried product and you have a reputation for superior designed products would you not start out with features in a simpler camera and see how they work on a small scale?
I sure would. Regardless of the pixel peeper and Sony bells and whistles yet crappy UI crowd complaints.
Over decades of watching Canon they make a solid product generally. The original Canon R cameras were dogs and they learned a lot. Also the T80 was a dog but Canon saw that in lens AF motor was far superior to the little screwy thingy others went with and they then thought why not a compete electrical interface even if it pisses off some users. Their pro base was small but they knew the EOS was so superior that it would destroy Nikon in the pro market and they did.
No they just make good solid useful tools and not cell phones with interchangeable lenses.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
You only think that because you haven't used a mirrorless for a couple months.

I got my first mirrorless ILC in 2013.

Basically, your AF is primitive, and you've taught yourself to only demand from it the few things it can actually do. So it works? No surprise, but only because you're limiting what you ask of it.

Take your R and track a sprinter at 8 fps. Ohhh...wait...well, try 5 fps with tracking priority. Oh...darn...I guess your AF is primitive and it only works because you limit what you ask of it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
What camera are you using to track birds in flight and what is its refresh rate?

I have been using a 1DX2 for BIF. I recently acquired a Sony A9 and have been amazed at the accuracy of the AF and ease of tracking BIF with the EV. Refresh rate is stellar. A Sony 400mm F2.8 will be my next addition.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have been using a 1DX2 for BIF. I recently acquired a Sony A9 and have been amazed at the accuracy of the AF and ease of tracking BIF with the EV. Refresh rate is stellar. A Sony 400mm F2.8 will be my next addition.

The A9 has a very good reputation for AF and refresh rate, and I would like to see a Canon rival to it.

Upvote 0
??? If you didn't buy it, what makes you think it's poor?

I don't know how you shoot, so I don't know how your 1DX II works under the conditions you need to shoot, but I've got a 10-frame burst of my 5-year-old son running towards me from like 7 to 1 meter, with the RF50/1.2 WIDE OPEN, and every shot is sharp enough to count his eyelashes. He's not even centered, he's all over the frames, but face-tracking followed him. This is one-hand shooting. Select face-track with the touch bar. Center the focus point with the garbage can button. Put over his face and tell him to run to me. 10/10 perfect shots. My EOS-1Ds MkIII certainly couldn't have done that.

For manual focus, the focus-peaking or magnifier in the viewfinder are both great. Again, the 1Ds MkIII could only do mag if I didn't use the viewfinder, and it didn't have peaking.
Canon organizes presentations. And there I could test the R .
I had the idea to buy a lighter camera. But after testing, I decided to keep the 1DX II, even if it's heavier. The disadvantages of R are too big. It takes far too long to focus and take a picture. And for that you need two hands. My left hand is always on the lens. I often have groups and not just one person.
In general, taking pictures with the R felt very slow. You feel insecure, also because you can not hear the camera took a picture or not.
So I prefer to stay with my 1DX II and see if Canon develops a better mirrorless.

Upvote 0
You only think that because you haven't used a mirrorless for a couple months.

Basically, your AF is primitive, and you've taught yourself to only demand from it the few things it can actually do. So it works? No surprise, but only because you're limiting what you ask of it.
What a load of twaddle....I regularly use a 85 f1.2 IIL and a 400mm f2.8 LIS....trust me when I say that the AF system in a 5DIII/4 or 1Dx/II far exceeds the continuous AF capability found in the Eos R or Rp...it's not even close. Sure the dual pixel AF is more accurate for static subjects...but for motion and action the current DSLR AF system blows away mirror-less's AF...no competition. Maybe for YOUR needs you are finding the Rf system's AF adequate. But it's far from a global solution or replacement.
Honestly...this Rf will take over the world cr*p is getting juvenile.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
What were they working out with those models? I just read a review of them that said everything on them works fine. I don't think Canon was debugging its system. It just didn't see a point in releasing a pro body when there were only 4-5 lenses it could use, and which body would then be out of date by the time there were over a dozen. Then as now: take a year or two to build up the lens system, and let the pro market start penciling in a purchase of the forthcoming model when they see your commitment. THEN release the pro model. It worked before. I don't see why it won't keep working.

They are not going to tell you what they were looking at.
I never said debugging. They were working things out like speed of AF, tracking AF and I am sure many other things in programming.
Canon is not like Sony coming out with half baked junk needing many iterations to fix. Canon comes out with a beautifully working complete camera and system. Then as technology changes introduces new models to take advantage of that like processors etc. No they do not always lead, except for the EF system led the world for 30 years before others began to approach it.

Upvote 0
How many hours did you spend with each so far? What do you think the technical hurdle could possibly be in mirrorless AF not keeping up with the SLR models?
More than enough and also borne from observation of the hoard of wildlife and sports photographers NOT migrating to the Eos R....

Upvote 0
How many hours did you spend with each so far? What do you think the technical hurdle could possibly be in mirrorless AF not keeping up with the SLR models?
If you are concerned to my photographic credentials...go look me up. My name googles well. I've also been here a long time and I regularly post to this forums pages such as the various lens and camera pages here with portfolio imagery. Where as...you seem to have arrived here late December 2018...and have posted only dialogue. You claim to have a 600mm f4, a very serious piece of kit...so let s see some pictures. Pop them in 600mm f4 LIS page.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
No-one's going to take your self-appraisal for something like that. Why don't you just tell us the weeks' experience you've had learning it, and we'll decide whether it's enough or not.

How does mere observation magically inform you that AF is the issue, not, say, battery life, memory slots, megapixels, a lack of budget to roll over kit, or lack of information (or indeed, disinformation) about the new system?
So you have a group of working photographers with good quality gear... Canon starts down the mirrorless path with a low end FF mirrorless and an introductory model. Neither of these units are a significant improvement (and in many ways a downgrade) from the 5D series cameras that most working pros tend towards. The same holds true for the fanatical birders....

Why would these people consider changing systems at this point? Doesn't it make more sense to wait until some higher end mirrorless come out, and to wait for the current gear to get aged out?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Yesterday I was at a conference, there were two photographers, one of them sold his Canon gear and was now working with Sony Alpha. The other one was using the 1Dx mark II. Damn, that noisy shutter was disturbing .. and man what a relief to be able to work in complete silence.

To me it is clear that the 'noisy times' are over. Maybe at a football field people don't mind you firing like a machinegun, but EVERYWERE ELSE those times are over. My fellow photographers are not happy with Canon (unsharp, fuzzyness, front/backfocus etc). Some lenses are sharp, some others arent, it sometimes seems a matter of luck (I use microadjust and CPS service, don't worry) and on top of that the silent mode makes them switching to Sony one after the other. Sharper, Silent, and cheaper! It just does not feel good anymore to spend money on gear you simply cannot trust. So Canon needs to step up and make sure every single camera and every single lens is spot on crispy sharp without any (AF) issues.

So to wrap up: If Canon decides to make the 1Dx III as expensive as their predecessors and make a noisy shutter again, they will sell a few to sports photographers, but even they are switching to eye-focus camera's such as Sony. And NO I AM NOT SONY related, I am just a Canon user myself.

So PLEASE CANON, make that camera affordable and silent!
And built in WIFI please or this thing will absolutely not sell.
Merci!

Upvote 0
problem with saquatch and ufo photographing is those thingies can see to future. All they need do to avoid getting photographed is choosing path what doesnt lead to getting photographed. Some lucky peoples may get photoes from drunken sasquatch but so rare thing ,its usually amateur photographer with crappy equipemnts.

This also means that carrying around a big fancy camera makes you UFO-abduction-proof. Win!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
The EOS R is utterly silent (except for aperture, if you're not shooting wide-open) in silent mode.

The EOS R also has Bluetooth and Wifi. You can see the liveview on your smartphone or PC, adjust focus point, change camera settings and shoot. Then, you can have the camera automatically upload the resulting images.

I'm not saying the R is pro-use. Ergonomics are poor due to the smaller body. Battery life is 1/3 what it needs to be and it needs another memory slot. But, I'd expect doodads like Wifi and Bluetooth that are in the mid-level MILFF will surely be in the high-end SLR. Conversely the next sensor will surely be shared between the SLR and the MILFF, so if the SLR is too loud, the pro R will be what you want.

Attachments

• D61BAC1C-0299-4B36-B37C-E9EE22512BF9.jpeg
    D61BAC1C-0299-4B36-B37C-E9EE22512BF9.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 227
  • Haha
Upvote 0