Canon EOS 5D Mark IV to Feature CFast & SD Card Slots [CR2]

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
CanonFanBoy said:
WOW! It is so fun to watch technology advance.

Now I'll ask the inevitable forum question: What does anyone think the chances are that these will show up on the 1DX Mark III and do you think this will allow 25 frames per second? ;)

With the size of those, make two slots in the camera and alternate image writes to each card to double the speed again.....

BTW, when we really go mirrorless, look for 120FPS burst rates :)

Upvote 0
crazyrunner33 said:
rrcphoto said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told by a pretty reliable source that the upcoming Canon EOS 5D Mark IV will feature both a CFast 2.0 slot and a SDXC UHS-II slot.</p>
<p>If the camera is going to shoot internal 4K like the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, the CFast slot makes a lot of sense. The faster SD card slot will be a very welcome addition as well, as the the 5D Mark III used a standard SD card slot which was quite slow.</p>
<p>We’re still waiting for more reliable specifications about the EOS 5D Mark IV, a camera we expect to see announced later next month.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

if that's the case then we'll probably going to get MJPEG 4K video aka like the 1DX Mark II

canon is not quite there yet with DiGiC to render out h.264 4k in a relatively easy manner, and this probably means no DiGiC 7 as well.

what got me thinking today though is the timing, we are in 2016, which is 4 years away from what canon will most likly have q

I'm hoping for the MJPEG for reliability. As I stated before, processing into a smaller codec requires a lot of processing power, and heat as a result . The reviews for the new Fuxi XT2 are starting to come out, it has log(which is great, hopefully a log will be available on the 5D), but even it is still experiencing heat issues with just H.264. The camera won't let you record more than 10 minutes at a time due to overheating. Until Canon can catch up with the technology, I'll be happy with a reliable and data hungry internal codec, and an uncompressed output.

For people who want a small files and a beautiful image, the Samsung NX1 is a great option, but as the owners of those cameras have found out, it's very difficult to edit the footage at this time(unless if you have an incredible editing rig). For small files and easy editing, the C100 is hard to beat.

Nice try http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t2-first-impressions-review

Optional 'Power Booster Grip'

Along with the X-T2, Fujifilm has introduced the VPB-XT2, a vertical battery grip that holds two extra batteries. As well as significantly extending the camera's battery life, the grip also extends the camera's 'Boost' mode. With the grip attached, this is able to draw power from multiple batteries, increasing the camera's maximum continuous shooting rate, as well as extending its video recording time to 30 minutes.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told by a pretty reliable source that the upcoming Canon EOS 5D Mark IV will feature both a CFast 2.0 slot and a SDXC UHS-II slot.</p>
<p>If the camera is going to shoot internal 4K like the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, the CFast slot makes a lot of sense. The faster SD card slot will be a very welcome addition as well, as the the 5D Mark III used a standard SD card slot which was quite slow.</p>
<p>We’re still waiting for more reliable specifications about the EOS 5D Mark IV, a camera we expect to see announced later next month.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Don Haines said:
CanonFanBoy said:

Now I'll ask the inevitable forum question: What does anyone think the chances are that these will show up on the 1DX Mark III and do you think this will allow 25 frames per second? ;)

With the size of those, make two slots in the camera and alternate image writes to each card to double the speed again.....

I'm currently working on an auxiliary battery to support just that. It attaches to a pair of suspenders/belt and allows one to go to any Walmart and get an 850 cranking amps battery to power the camera. No more bothersome grips. Shazam!!! :)

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
crazyrunner33 said:
I'm hoping for the MJPEG for reliability. As I stated before, processing into a smaller codec requires a lot of processing power, and heat as a result . The reviews for the new Fuxi XT2 are starting to come out, it has log(which is great, hopefully a log will be available on the 5D), but even it is still experiencing heat issues with just H.264. The camera won't let you record more than 10 minutes at a time due to overheating. Until Canon can catch up with the technology, I'll be happy with a reliable and data hungry internal codec, and an uncompressed output.

I don't think the 10 minutes depend on overheating... with grip it expands to 30minutes, exactly 3 times more than with one battery. The Fuji drains the battery with it's mirrorless EVF and processingpower. That's all. With codec it would be even less, I guess.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
CanonFanBoy said:

It's already here...it's called movie mode.

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
GMCPhotographics said:
I think one of the biggest weaknesses of the 5DIII camera is the SD slot. Pop a card in both slots, put the camera into max fps mode and the buffer lasts a few seconds. Pop the SD card out and the buffer lasts for 5-6 seconds before filling up. So yes, it's good news about the 5D4.

So what's exactly the good news here, as the 5DM4 is supposed to have a SD Card slot again? I never trusted SD-Cards, by the way, as they often failed. While CF Cards were always relyable.

Upvote 0
vscd said:
GMCPhotographics said:
I think one of the biggest weaknesses of the 5DIII camera is the SD slot. Pop a card in both slots, put the camera into max fps mode and the buffer lasts a few seconds. Pop the SD card out and the buffer lasts for 5-6 seconds before filling up. So yes, it's good news about the 5D4.

So what's exactly the good news here, as the 5DM4 is supposed to have a SD Card slot again? I never trusted SD-Cards, by the way, as they often failed. While CF Cards were always relyable.

The 5d3 had the second gen SD card slot which would only read/write data at about 21mb per second. The specs seem to point to the much newer UHS-II format which could give speeds of upto 156mb per second and thus is a lot more useful (and cheaper).

Upvote 0