Canon EOS 6D Mark II Manual Now Available

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
privatebydesign said:
We've had this discussion before and I am really trying to help here. Stop making such a big deal of metering, revert to old school M mode and take test images.

You're right, we have had this discussion. ::)

My subject and I are always moving. I have varied background lighting and varied subject lighting and I am not afforded the time to take test shots every few seconds when the lighting changes again. I have to stick and move and get it right the first time.

So to me it is a big deal if I am always tweaking M mode and constantly chimping as conditions change. Throwing the spot meter around the frame would be tremendously helpful for this haphazard, run and gun sort of shooting.

I think we need to agree to disagree here and get back on topic.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ahsanford said:
privatebydesign said:
We've had this discussion before and I am really trying to help here. Stop making such a big deal of metering, revert to old school M mode and take test images.

You're right, we have had this discussion. ::)

My subject and I are always moving. I have varied background lighting and varied subject lighting and I am not afforded the time to take test shots every few seconds when the lighting changes again. I have to stick and move and get it right the first time.

So to me it is a big deal if I am always tweaking M mode and constantly chimping as conditions change. Throwing the spot meter around the frame would be tremendously helpful for this haphazard, run and gun sort of shooting.

I think we need to agree to disagree here and get back on topic.

- A

It's not a case of agreeing to disagree, many people are perfectly capable of getting better results than you with the same equipment (same goes for me too) in these situations you claim are impossible. Well you can either ignore their advice, pretend your situation and lighting is different from anybody else's , constantly plead for yet another 'feature', get one of the multitude of cameras that already has the feature you claim to NEED, OR you can listen to what people do who can shoot in the situations you can't.

It's funny, I have been shooting professionally for decades, I recently swapped out my model of camera and I am taking no end of advice on some of the customization and settings now available to me. Others have been used to a similar level of customization and feature set for years so why wouldn't I try to learn from them?

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
I check each manual release just for this. I could see this trickle down the line eventually, but I'll be frank that this particular check was to make sure the 6D line wasn't hooked up with something the 5D line doesn't have.

It's got a few features over the 5D line.
For example, I believe that the 6DII is the first ever Canon camera that can be set up so that evaluative metering isn't locked when you press half-way on the shutter release. Custom function I-8 allows users to select whether half press locks AE or not for each metering mode.
Also, some button customisation functions can be assigned to more buttons, such as for example the AI servo - One shot switch, which can now be assigned to the AF-on and * buttons in addition to the front Fn button. But I feel that most of these additions are just there because Canon knows that the xxD / 6D line's front Fn button has been so poorly designed intentionally that it's quite useless in practice.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hey Scott, you've probably noticed how valuable multiple AF buttons can be with their "overriding the shutter" characteristic on the 1DX2. If I'm understanding correctly, with the 6D2 3 buttons can AF but it'll be the same AF function or IOW essentially redundant.

As far as metering goes, I've been shooting straight manual quite a bit and I do feel there are circumstances with action where I prefer the spot focus with linked exposure to the spot. This would likely be flitting birds in and out of shadow. Of course everyone has their work-arounds as I did shooting with the 6D and likely once again with the 6D2.

Jack

Upvote 0