Canon EOS 6D Mark II Poll Results

mashuto said:
Jopa said:
Luds34 said:
Best of luck! I'm fairly sure it will be a very solid camera and I look forward to some great shots over the next number of years.

Wrong. Canon is doomed, all Canon shooters are doomed, time to jump ship everybody! I just put all my Canon stuff on eBay for $19.95 /s

While I appreciate this and think its pretty funny. That was a response to me being concerned about these results. And being concerned is not the same as thinking this camera is a disaster or a failure.

My concern is that I went into this with an expectation based on past releases that I maybe shouldn't have. That the sensor would have significant IQ improvements in the areas I was hoping for. And its starting to look like it might not. The only two pieces of evidence so far are a RAW file that probably came from a preproduction camera (though could production actually be that huge of a difference?) and a statement from a Canon rep (though someone seems to think there was an opposite statement from another... but I dont know the source of that).

DR is an important item to me that I was hoping for in an upgrade. And its starting to look like my choices for a DR upgrade are to spend significantly more on a camera, 5D4, that has so many things I dont want or care about and is even missing one or two things I want (articulating screen). Or look elsewhere. But I like Canon and have no real desire to switch.

So, I have no doubt in my mind that the 6DII will be a fantastic camera, just like the 6D is. But with these doubts about DR (with some evidence) I am just wondering if I was too hasty with my preorder and whether the camera is really worth a spending $2000 as an upgrade over the 6D. I was originally planning to keep my 6D as a backup, but I could sell it and offset the cost... I dunno. I am exciting about the new features and would certainly benefit from having them. But without an increase in IQ, specifically DR, I question whether its worth the full upgrade price for me.

Everyone says wait and see, which I agree with since its hard to know whats factual and whats rumor, or what is down to preproduction models or what. But I just dont have that luxury with a preorder. So, it just seems more and more like cancelling the preorder and waiting until we have more actual solid evidence one way or another.

There has been 0 well founded evidence on this.

Upvote 0
CanonCams said:

Sure, but the point of my post is still more about my preorder. Because there is doubt, whether some choose to believe the things they have read or not.

If I keep my preorder, in my mind I am rolling the dice a bit on DR and IQ.

If I cancel, and IQ and DR are improved, all I have lost is maybe a month or two while stock replenishes. And if it turns out that IQ and DR arent improved, well I can make a better decision then when I have all the facts, for real.

So, thats why I am talking through this, it isnt about trying to say this camera will be bad. In fact I think it will be a really nice camera. Just not sure if its worth the asking price for me, right now with some of these doubts.

Upvote 0
mashuto said:
CanonCams said:

Sure, but the point of my post is still more about my preorder. Because there is doubt, whether some choose to believe the things they have read or not.

If I keep my preorder, in my mind I am rolling the dice a bit on DR and IQ.

If I cancel, and IQ and DR are improved, all I have lost is maybe a month or two while stock replenishes. And if it turns out that IQ and DR arent improved, well I can make a better decision then when I have all the facts, for real.

So, thats why I am talking through this, it isnt about trying to say this camera will be bad. In fact I think it will be a really nice camera. Just not sure if its worth the asking price for me, right now with some of these doubts.

How about you don't preorder then? How about just be patient and continue to shoot with your current gear until the real cameras are released and the right RAW algorithms are used? This stuff is a big load of bull so quit worrying about it.

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
How about you don't preorder then? How about just be patient and continue to shoot with your current gear until the real cameras are released and the right RAW algorithms are used? This stuff is a big load of bull so quit worrying about it.

Yea that probably would have been the smart thing to do. It is unfortunately not what I actually did. Anyways, I have said what I needed to say. I know things are not finalized, doesnt change my doubts, and cancelling the preorder is probably best thing to do since at worst, it just means I might have to be slightly patient and continue using my current camera (not a negative).

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
6DII dynamic range (DR) not improved, unfortunately:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1497323/25#14098826

Disappointing if true. That's obviously a big IF. No way to be sure until we see a few reviews from a few sources.

I can't see why Canon would choose not to improve base DR unless:
  • They honestly didn't think it needed the boost - seems unlikely considering they thought the 5D IV needed a boost
  • It was a casualty of getting really strong low light performance
  • Or the long shot - they started development of the 5D IV before the choice to use on-chip ADC and developed this sensor for it, then switched to ADC and decided to build a new sensor for the 5D IV, then didn't want to waste the R/D for this sensor
  • Or they didn't make that choice and did in fact improve DR

Yes, I have an active imagination. Speculation aside, none of us know what it can or can't do until we see it. I'll be waiting patiently until August.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
amorse said:
x-vision said:
6DII dynamic range (DR) not improved, unfortunately:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1497323/25#14098826

Disappointing if true. That's obviously a big IF. No way to be sure until we see a few reviews from a few sources.

I can't see why Canon would choose not to improve base DR unless:
  • They honestly didn't think it needed the boost - seems unlikely considering they thought the 5D IV needed a boost
  • It was a casualty of getting really strong low light performance
  • Or the long shot - they started development of the 5D IV before the choice to use on-chip ADC and developed this sensor for it, then switched to ADC and decided to build a new sensor for the 5D IV, then didn't want to waste the R/D for this sensor
  • Or they didn't make that choice and did in fact improve DR
Yes, I have an active imagination. Speculation aside, none of us know what it can or can't do until we see it. I'll be waiting patiently until August.

Is that a CR2 production file or a CR2 PRE-production file?
Could not find in all the comments over there.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
candyman said:

Doesn't matter. The DRums of doom are beating. Canon's sales will DRain away and DRy up as customers who've been DRooling over Sony DRop Canon in DRoves.

;D

Almost certainly a preproduction camera.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
candyman said:

Doesn't matter. The DRums of doom are beating. Canon's sales will DRain away and DRy up as customers who've been DRooling over Sony DRop Canon in DRoves.

;D

Why is there so much emphasis on preproduction camera?

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
candyman said:

;D

No doubt the camera will sell regardless of what's in there. I still think the 6D was always marketed to entice crop Canon shooters to jump to full frame, and this will definitely still serve that purpose.

I want DR but I'm not leaving - just because that's the most important improvement I was hoping for in the 6D II doesn't negate the other reasons as to why I chose Canon in the first place. I'm content to keep using my 6D mk I until we see some real reviews.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
CanonCams said:
neuroanatomist said:
candyman said:

;D

Why is there so much emphasis on preproduction camera?

In the absence of valid data, people will take what scraps are available and run with them.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
neuroanatomist said:
candyman said:

;D

I would think so. No signs yet of availability of the final version
I have to admit that I have never been in circumstances where I am able to judge the image quality between a pre-production model and the final production model. However I like to believe that the final version is tweaked based upon input of those early adopters / testers.
I hope for that. But regardless of that, for ME it is still a good upgrade.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Aglet said:
mashuto said:
Such a rollercoaster of emotions!

THIS is why I went ABC.
I stopped waiting, wishing, pre-ordering, hoping for improvements... it was like a bad relationship!
I divorced Canon, acquired a poly-camerous lifestyle of far greater satisfaction.

Funny. I never needed to wait, pre-order or had a bad relationship with Canon. And I've tried Sony and Fuji as well. While not bad systems at all (I really like Fuji haptic controls), they just lacked something I didn't miss in Canon system.

So I have a proposition to you, since you sound quite insecure with your desicion. Be happy with what you have, let others be happy with what they have and everyone should keep busy with taking amazing images instead of measurebating over and over some minuscule difference in paper specs, okay? :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Khalai said:
So I have a proposition to you, since you sound quite insecure with your desicion. Be happy with what you have, let others be happy with what they have and everyone should keep busy with taking amazing images instead of measurebating over and over some minuscule difference in paper specs, okay? :)

I guess you missed shoelace-boy's 'tech blog' filled with amazing images captured with the lens cap on. Measurebation, indeed...

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Khalai said:
Aglet said:
mashuto said:

THIS is why I went ABC.
I stopped waiting, wishing, pre-ordering, hoping for improvements... it was like a bad relationship!
I divorced Canon, acquired a poly-camerous lifestyle of far greater satisfaction.

Funny. I never needed to wait, pre-order or had a bad relationship with Canon. And I've tried Sony and Fuji as well. While not bad systems at all (I really like Fuji haptic controls), they just lacked something I didn't miss in Canon system.

You shouldn't really point out to an insecure person that they are insecure ;) Over the years here on CR we have seen many people who have used the forum to try and convince themselves that they have made the right decision in changing. When you have been in photography as long as I have, almost forty years, and got to my age, fifty six, and have changed systems many times, you come to realise that you were often better off with what you had before ;)

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
Sporgon said:
Khalai said:
Aglet said:
mashuto said:

THIS is why I went ABC.

You shouldn't really point out to an insecure person that they are insecure ;) Over the years here on CR we have seen many people who have used the forum to try and convince themselves that they have made the right decision in changing. When you have been in photography as long as I have, almost forty years, and got to my age, fifty six, and have changed systems many times, you come to realise that you were often better off with what you had before ;)

Not being youngster anymore myself at age of thirty-two, I've been on the verge of switching systems numerous times. Grass always seemed greener on the other side of the fence - it's because they fertilize it with bulls**t.

I've had several Fujifilm cameras on loan and really like them (but could not get past that X-Trans image output with ease), their haptic controls are not just for looks. I love how Fuji camera are actually incredibly functionally designed. Then there is Sony - love/hate with me. I kinda liked the form factor and certain lenses (Loxia 21 or 85, Sonnar 55/1.8...), but could not get past controls and ergonomics as they appeared counter-intuitive and battery life (rather lack of it) drove me nuts. There was also time with Nikon. Good system, nice lenses, hated the colours.

I've came full circle to Canon (well, technically never left). Yes, I have some gripes with Canon and some things I hate. But I definitely love the image output with L lenses, very intuitive controls and ergonomics. It just suits me best for what I need and I like the output.

Sure, my camera lacks decent AF system, has not the best DR or SNR metrics or has only single card slot. And you know what? I still like it, because it's a tool I can use the easiest way to make images I want.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Khalai said:
I've came full circle to Canon (well, technically never left). Yes, I have some gripes with Canon and some things I hate. But I definitely love the image output with L lenses, very intuitive controls and ergonomics. It just suits me best for what I need and I like the output.

Sure, my camera lacks decent AF system, has not the best DR or SNR metrics or has only single card slot. And you know what? I still like it, because it's a tool I can use the easiest way to make images I want.

There you go.
You know its shortcomings and it still does the job for you.
I'm glad you've convinced yourself you're satisfied. :)

As I've said before, I liked every aspect of Canon's cameras and systems except for one main thing:
THE IMAGE QUALITY.
While I can agree that image quality, directly out of camera, does look pretty good from Canon gear, that's not always the final chapter with what I (or some others) do.
While the raw files can tolerate some massaging in post, they are more likely to fall apart under heavy manipulation that then requires more time than it's worth to fix or workaround or otherwise compensate for the lower performance of their imaging system.
ABC files hold up much better because of more agreeable noise characteristics.

If something with the IQ of the 5D4/80d/7d2 had been available 5+ years ago, I probably would not have needed to switch. I could work with the files from these models.
But this is much improved from what was available from Canon 5+ years ago when even a consumer level Nikon provided far cleaner raw files.

for my work:
lenses - irrelevant
color rendition - subjective, irrelevant, and completely adjustable
noise characteristics - critical

That last point was a Canon-fail for my workflow, hence why I switched and why I would suggest to others who have the same requirements to either try one of these new Canon bodies with the better noise character or an ABC camera that has better IQ.

And it pays to be patient enough to see real-reviews of shipping hardware before deciding whether it's good enough. I took a chance on pre-ordering my d800s and, thankfully, wasn't disappointed. Pre-ordered 7d2, OTOH, had other issues and went back to the supplier and was the last Canon I opened my wallet for.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
neuroanatomist said:
Khalai said:

I guess you missed shoelace-boy's 'tech blog' filled with amazing images captured with the lens cap on. Measurebation, indeed...

You might want to loosen the buckle on your hat there, Neuro-toxic. ;)

Upvote 0
transpo1 said:
Hmm...interesting: 38% wanted 4K. That could be a lot more pre-orders :)

The results are potentially misleading. I clicked the 4K box because we had to choose one of the options presented. In fact, 4K is of little importance to me, it's just the others are even less so. For instance, with regard to SD slots, I use CF so even two would be a pain, as I'd have to buy at least one new card either way :)

I should say more generally, I also wasn't quite 100% on any of the 'will you buy?' options. I might, and reviews aren't that important as I'm sure it'll be a solid camera, but I wouldn't preorder, as I don't think it's necessary to pay RRP for anything these days.

Upvote 0