Canon EOS 6D Mark II Poll Results

Khalai said:
mashuto said:
Well I cancelled my preorder. I am not taking these measurements as gospel, but given that they are the only evidence out there right now, I figure I can wait until some other verified reviews and tests come out. If it turns out these early measurements were right, then I can make a more informed decision at that point. If it turns out they were wrong the only thing I lose is not being able to get one in the first batch.

Smart move IMHO. Preorders are always a bit risky. You pay full price for the privilege of having it first. If you're not in a hurry, what's few more weeks waiting for reviews, right?.

Especially for something like this. Canons aren't usually out of stock, right? Even very early in the cycle. You can pre-order well ahead of time, but the NDA will probably end the day they're available, so you can read all the reviews on launch day and order then if you like it. Shipping will generally get it to you within a couple of days. So you lose, literally, a week with the new toy in exchange for having a lot more information to decide with. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Upvote 0
LonelyBoy said:
Khalai said:
mashuto said:
Well I cancelled my preorder. I am not taking these measurements as gospel, but given that they are the only evidence out there right now, I figure I can wait until some other verified reviews and tests come out. If it turns out these early measurements were right, then I can make a more informed decision at that point. If it turns out they were wrong the only thing I lose is not being able to get one in the first batch.

Smart move IMHO. Preorders are always a bit risky. You pay full price for the privilege of having it first. If you're not in a hurry, what's few more weeks waiting for reviews, right?.

Especially for something like this. Canons aren't usually out of stock, right? Even very early in the cycle. You can pre-order well ahead of time, but the NDA will probably end the day they're available, so you can read all the reviews on launch day and order then if you like it. Shipping will generally get it to you within a couple of days. So you lose, literally, a week with the new toy in exchange for having a lot more information to decide with. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I have a feeling there might be a few weeks or a month lag between when the first batch goes out and supply is restocked. But if thats all, its not a big deal. Its not like I NEED a camera now. I still have my 6D, it still works, its still excellent. And theres a decent chance I wont even be able get out to shoot during that period of time anyways... stupid real life.

So, my fingers are crossed that reviews will come in and somehow prove these early findings completely wrong, and Ill just buy it then. And if not, well Ill either just keep my 6D a while longer or explore other options, whatever those options may be.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
I keep seeing DR come up on this thread. Just curious why there is any doubt on the DR side of things. See below -- these are the three sensors to come out with the on-chip ADC sensors.

See a trend on the DR figures. Why would anyone suspect that number would mysteriously plummet with the 6D2?

- A
Aren't you happy you asked about DR? ;)

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
scyrene said:
Aglet said:
As I've said before, I liked every aspect of Canon's cameras and systems except for one main thing:
THE IMAGE QUALITY.

And yet I don't see rafts of quality images where you can tell which brand was used. Superb images of wildlife, or whatever field you choose, which are *clearly* not-Canon. Why is that? Are most people blind? Or are you convicing yourself of a reality that doesn't exist?

if you go back and read the 2nd sentence below the one you quoted....

Easier to PP non-Canon files, you mean? It may be a fair point - I've not processed any non-Canon raw images, so I can't comment. I will say, however, that I rarely hit insurmountable problems in processing Canon files. But I actually enjoy post processing, I understand some do not and would want to minimise the time spent doing it.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
scyrene said:
Aglet said:
scyrene said:
Aglet said:
As I've said before, I liked every aspect of Canon's cameras and systems except for one main thing:
THE IMAGE QUALITY.

And yet I don't see rafts of quality images where you can tell which brand was used. Superb images of wildlife, or whatever field you choose, which are *clearly* not-Canon. Why is that? Are most people blind? Or are you convicing yourself of a reality that doesn't exist?

Easier to PP non-Canon files, you mean? It may be a fair point - I've not processed any non-Canon raw images, so I can't comment. I will say, however, that I rarely hit insurmountable problems in processing Canon files. But I actually enjoy post processing, I understand some do not and would want to minimise the time spent doing it.

You wouldn't want files from the Sony then. It took me much more work to get the subtle punch in my images from that camera. But malleability of the shadows - yes, different league, but I don't need or want it particularly.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Sporgon said:
scyrene said:
Aglet said:
scyrene said:
Aglet said:
THE IMAGE QUALITY.

You wouldn't want files from the Sony then. It took me much more work to get the subtle punch in my images from that camera. But malleability of the shadows - yes, different league, but I don't need or want it particularly.

I'm in the "don't want to PP more than I have to" camp. ABC files allow me to do quick global edits for the result I want.
I appreciate the art of talented PP work like those who are also good golfers....
But I don't want to spend my time doing either! :)

I know what you mean about that "subtle punch" part... local contrast?.. can look a bit weaker at times when so much dynamic range gets compressed.
I can get back enough of that quite easily with a simple and slight local contrast enhancement that takes a few seconds.

FWIW, sometimes I now shoot Fuji because I can get OOC jpg looking just how I want with no PP required...
If a minor exposure tweak is required... can do that in camera and have it re-process the raw file to another jpg. Rarely needed with excellent WYSIWYG EVF tho...

Upvote 0