Canon EOS 6D Mark II to Get New 26mp Sensor [CR3]

K

Jan 29, 2015
Mikehit said:
You keep on whining repeatedly about 'nerfing'. Have you ever considered it is 'designing to a price'

No.

D750

51pt AF, 24mp, 6fps, dual slots, tilt screen

And please don't argue that Nikon is having financial issues because of how they specced the D750. They were losing money on other products and have operational efficiency issues. Search the web. They are going to focus more on cameras like the D750 that brings in the business because its a great value.

Upvote 0
In-The-Dark said:
If DPAF is in the APS-C entry level T7i/800D, surely, it must be included in the 6DII as well.

How about AF? number of AF points, coverage/spread? Anything?
Thanks.

I really hope they don't undermine 6d2 like they did to 6d... Otherwise I will have to get 5d4 with broken teeth (as I would bite them hard).

I have to admit that I am getting a little impatient about it. The only thing holding me off right now is that I am waiting for 5d4 with pre-loaded c-log to be in stock.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
K said:
davidj said:
You all seem to be talking about the 6D II competing with the 5D IV, and thinking that the 6D II will have to be sufficiently nerfed to not compete with the 5D IV. Don't forget that there's a very competent Nikon D750 (and soon D760) that the 6D II will be competing directly against, so Canon can't limit the camera too much.

My wish is that the 6D II will go slightly upmarket, with it being an all-round very capable camera, just less so than the 5D IV, and the original 6D will hang around as a base model until replaced by a FF 8D (or mirrorless?).

This has been one of my angles for a long time, but apparently Canon doesn't compete with Nikon.

The 6D was much weaker than the D610 in most areas. But but but...it still sold. We've heard this ad nauseam.

D750 hits way above its weight class. Bigtime. That's the best bang for the buck FF on the market, or maybe of all time.

For a new user -- what is better? Dealing with a crippled 6D2? If not, then up selling to a 5D4 for $3,300 ..??

For $3,300 you can get both a D750 AND a D500. The D750 gives you amazing IQ, great AF, dual slots, big dynamic range. You have no shortcomings here, except maybe 1/8000 shutter... lol. And the D500 gives you 10fps, even better AF and the best crop sensor ever made.

And they can't argue that the D820 will be $3,300 also - because that's their high rez model, which is like Canon, to get high rez means a whole other $3,000+ body like the 5DS line.

Canon glass is not that much better to overcome a D500 & D750 body combo for $3,300. Incredible value and capability right there.

I hope that is enough reason for Canon to provide the 6D2 with some more up to date specs.

Nikon 600D didn't work out too well, especially with the Nikon response to the 600D problems. To some extent, Nikon's problems contributed to the early success of the "nerfed" 6D, along with the fact that it actually worked. But the reasons for the success of the 6D are now ancient history. As you say, let's hope for solid specs for the 6DII. 26 mp DPAF and a tilty flippy screen seem like a good start to me, especially for Live View, but who wants to be bothered with a tripod? I guess we will find out.

Upvote 0
leadin2 said:
I'm curious on the price. Canon is still selling (body only) 5D3 ($2300) and 6D ($1300), with the current 5D4 ($3300). 6D2 will probably be $1900 at launch?

I'm guessing the starting price will be about a 1,000 cheaper than the 5d4, coming in at $2,499. I hope its not quite so high because I won't want to spend that much to get one. if it's around the $2,000 mark then it's an instant purchase for me.

Upvote 0
james75 said:
leadin2 said:
I'm curious on the price. Canon is still selling (body only) 5D3 ($2300) and 6D ($1300), with the current 5D4 ($3300). 6D2 will probably be $1900 at launch?

I'm guessing the starting price will be about a 1,000 cheaper than the 5d4, coming in at $2,499. I hope its not quite so high because I won't want to spend that much to get one. if it's around the $2,000 mark then it's an instant purchase for me.

Well that is a concern. I am not a fan of pricey camera. But 6d2 seems to have a lot of upgrades and shouldn't be too cheap. Otherwise you will expect some crucial flaws.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
leadin2 said:

Likely depends somewhat on specs we don't know about yet--AF especially. Maybe $2000 if they really design to cost, up to $2200 with more features. At this point it's a guess, but if the were really trying to keep the cost down I don't think they would be putting the tilty/flippy screen on it.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Mikehit said:
Bernard said:
That's the key question for me too.
One way for Canon to protect the SLR market against mirrorless competitors is to offer SLRs that actually work.

What a dumb statement. SLRs do work and have done for over 100 years.

Canon is an optics company. making a half-decent viewfinder should not be beyond their grasp.
They do make a very decent viewfinder. What you seem to want is EVF which is not about optics.

Mike,

Determining the exact plane of focus is essential to my style of photography. The non-interchangeable screen in the 5d3/4/5 and 5ds/5ds-r don't let me do that with any confidence using the optical viewfinder.

I get that it's not a problem for you, but it is for myself and others.

I am quite familiar with EVFs, by the way. I want an SLR with a focus screen that is suitable for manual focus. Canon offers such a screen on the 1Dx-2 and 6D, so it would be great if they could continue to do so on the D's replacement.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
K said:
Mikehit said:
You keep on whining repeatedly about 'nerfing'. Have you ever considered it is 'designing to a price'

No.

D750

And please don't argue that Nikon is having financial issues because of how they specced the D750. They were losing money on other products and have operational efficiency issues. Search the web. They are going to focus more on cameras like the D750 that brings in the business because its a great value.

Fair enough. I too doubt that development costs of the 750D directly had much effect on the Nikon bottom line. On the other hand, I really doubt that they are recovering costs selling the 750D for $1500 and wonder what volume they would have needed to break even at the original price point, not that we will ever know for sure.

If the 750D floats your boat, now is the time to grab one, no question. On the other hand, by their own admission, Nikon has had serious problems selling and servicing cameras and making money at it, and it is not clear to me that they are out of the woods. Something that somebody thinking about buying into a camera system might want to think about.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BillB said:
leadin2 said:

Likely depends somewhat on specs we don't know about yet--AF especially. Maybe $2000 if they really design to cost, up to $2200 with more features. At this point it's a guess, but if the were really trying to keep the cost down I don't think they would be putting the tilty/flippy screen on it.

I could be wrong, but I think a tilt-flippy was a day one assumption when they drew up the first rev of the design.

I could be proven wrong, but I believe the mission for 6D2 design-wise was:

• DSLR camera
  • FF sensor of no higher resolution than the 5D4
  • Key upgrades over the 6D1: Tilty-flippy, DPAF, NFC or Bluetooth

...and from that point, they jammed as much tech in there as they could to hit price and cost targets. I really think it was as simple as that.

- A

Upvote 0
bereninga said:
I think the 5DIII will eventually be discontinued and the 6DII will take the price point right above the current price the 5DIII. This is pretty much what happened when the 6D came out and the 5DII was discontinued.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 6DII (with kit lens) was $2500-2700. But then after time it'll settle to $2200.

5D2 did stay a while longer and dropped further in price. That's how I snapped my first FF camera. There are probably a bunch of people still waiting to compare and enter to buy. The model they choose will depend on which specs they can settle with, versus the dollar.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
K said:
Mikehit said:

No.

D750

Canon 6D outsells the D750 but the 6D has a lower spec according to you.
Please explain Canon's incentive to beat the D750 on price. There isn't one because even you admit you still buy Canon. Until you (and thousands like you) put your money where your mouth is and switch to Nikon, Canon has no incentive to change its strategy.
You are part of the problem.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
james75 said:
leadin2 said:

Remember, based on the 5D2 / 6D past history, 5D3 will go poof on/about the time the 6D2 gets announced. So I'd take that out of the equation.

I see this more or less at the prior original asking price of the 6D1: $2099 for body only

Keep in mind, we've only seen one of the 'horsepower specs' confirmed to CR3 thus far, the resolution. The other two of those horsepower specs -- fps and # of AF points -- are still unconfirmed.

One might imagine [26 MP x 6 fps x 45 AF points] might command higher asking price / drive higher interest levels than [26 MP X 5 fps X 19 AF points]. There's a ton more to a camera, of course, but those three metrics (along with sensor size, of course) are the first pass, 'judge a book by it's cover' sort of items on the spec list.

- A

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
ahsanford said:
james75 said:
leadin2 said:

Remember, based on the 5D2 / 6D past history, 5D3 will go poof on/about the time the 6D2 gets announced. So I'd take that out of the equation.

I see this more or less at the prior original asking price of the 6D1: $2099 for body only

Keep in mind, we've only seen one of the 'horsepower specs' confirmed to CR3 thus far, the resolution. The other two of those horsepower specs -- fps and # of AF points -- are still unconfirmed.

One might imagine [26 MP x 6 fps x 45 AF points] might command higher asking price / drive higher interest levels than [26 MP X 5 fps X 19 AF points]. There's a ton more to a camera, of course, but those three metrics (along with sensor size, of course) are the first pass, 'judge a book by it's cover' sort of items on the spec list.

- A

Yes! AF is the only thing that is really important for me.. the 9 AF points on the 6D just made it so so weak. I'm thinking that they'd have at least 19 AF points? I predict 19-30 AF points, all cross type.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that the Canon EOS 6D Mark II will get a brand new and dedicated 26mp sensor.</p>
<p>This keeps in line with the original EOS 6D getting its own sensor.</p>
<p><strong>Canon EOS 6D Mark II Known Specifications</strong> (We’ll update this list as we get more information)</p>
<ul>
<li>26mp Full Frame CMOS Sensor</li>
<li>DPAF</li>
<li>DIGIC 7</li>
<li>Wi-Fi</li>
<li>Bluetooth</li>
<li>Vari-Angle LCD</li>
<li>A slightly taller and deeper body over the current EOS 6D.</li>
<li>New battery grip BG-E21</li>
<li>Announcement on June 29, 2017, Shipping in early August</li>
</ul>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
[size=36pt]WHAT I AM CONCERNING IS WHETHER IT HAS 4K OR NOT[/size]

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
ahsanford said:
I could be wrong, but I think a tilt-flippy was a day one assumption when they drew up the first rev of the design.

• DSLR camera

...and from that point, they jammed as much tech in there as they could to hit price and cost targets. I really think it was as simple as that.

- A
ahsanford said:
BillB said:
leadin2 said:

• DSLR camera

- A

I agree with what you are saying. I think the tilty/flippy was a given from the beginning too. What I was trying to say was that for Canon some features in the 6DII design were at least as important as minimizing cost (and including those features will have an effect on the final price). One feature we don't know yet is the AF system. My guess is they are not going to cheap out on that one either (meaning it will be the 45 point system--I doubt they designed a new one, but who knows.)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
cellomaster27 said:
Yes! AF is the only thing that is really important for me.. the 9 AF points on the 6D just made it so so weak. I'm thinking that they'd have at least 19 AF points? I predict 19-30 AF points, all cross type.

19 AF points one would think is the low end. High end might be more like the 80D's 45 points.

But again: [26 x 6 x 45] is not terribly far off of the [30 x 7 x 61] of the 5D4. So if Canon made such a 6D2 as that, one would argue they will need to keep something sexy out of the 6D2 to justify their (guessing) $2099 vs $3299 body-only prices -- and I'm talking about more than just the 5D4 things we generally presume the 6D2 isn't going to get (100% VF coverage, tough metal build, etc.).

To me, those things are the features on the fence that a lot of people want: 4K, AF joystick, high number of the AF points working at f/8, dual slots, faster flash sync, 1/8000 shutter, etc. My presumption is the 6D2 will get some but not all of that list.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
james75 said:
leadin2 said:

- A

Oh, okay. I wasn't aware the original 6d had a asking price of 2,099, I thought it was around 2,300. If it is priced around $2100, then even better.

Upvote 0