Canon EOS 7D Mark II in 2014 [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
unfocused said:
Frankly, the relatively low pricing of the 70D should give some reassurance that the 7DII will likely come in comfortably under $2,000

Completely agree 8).

There's no reason to believe that the 7DII product positioning will change compared to that of the current 7D.
This means, of course, a sub-$2000 price tag ... and sub-$2000 specs.

So, no 61 AF-points in the 7DII.
Canon will not put their first-tier AF system in a sub-$2000 body.
Same for some of the other dream specs floating around.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
Krob78 said:
The 7d came in substantially less than a new 5d2 came in at, with the "newer" technology. Why can't a 7D2, having some of the same technology and some "newer" technology come in substantially less than the 5d3?

Agreed.

Too often, people generalize about Canon pricing based on one example – the higher cost of the 5DIII in comparison to the D800. But, that was an anomaly. Canon and Nikon traditionally price their comparable models at nearly identical price points.

They do so because that's what the market demands. A $2,500 7DII would be hard-pressed to compete against a $1,800 D400.

Why didn't the 5DIII follow that pattern?

I have always argued that Canon set a $500 premium with the 5DIII because the 5DIII was much more targeted to specific buyers than the D800. The 5DIII with its high ISO performance is a must-have tool for photographers in a highly competitive field – weddings and events (which also happens to be about the only sizeable professional field left). Canon knew they could charge a premium because their target audience needs the competitive edge that the clean high ISOs gives them.

The D800 sacrificed high-ISO performance for high resolution. Unfortunately, there simply isn't a large professional base of photographers who gain any competitive edge from a high resolution sensor (emphasis on "large" professional base). It's a nice feature and gives some bragging rights to a company that has been perceived as being behind the curve on resolution for several years. That's not to say that some photographers don't need high resolution, it's just that the target audience is much smaller and the competitive advantages to be gained from the high resolution are much less significant.

I don't understand why people always point to the 5DIII, which was an exception, when every other DSLR Canon makes fits nicely within the rule of consistent pricing with their competitors. Frankly, the relatively low pricing of the 70D should give some reassurance that the 7DII will likely come in comfortably under $2,000

You are assuming Canon will leave the 7D II in the same target demographic bucket as the 7D. I'd point to the various statements Canon has made about how they want to do something "special" with the 7D II. That hints to me that it might end up more like the 5D III...an "anomaly" as you called it, than the same old deal...the "as cheap as possible specs with a high frame rate" deal.

I am not sure that is a safe assumption. The 7D II could very well come in like the 5D III (at least as it is in your view, as a specialized part...personally, I think the 5D III is an amazing general purpose FF camera, as it fits the bill for just about everything and anything with the sole exception being sunset photos where you get the sun, the brightly lit sky, and all the deep shadow foreground detail all in a single shot), and be effectively an APS-C 1D X, filling a niche for a specific subset of people...sports/wildlife/birds...rather than just being a cheapish APS-C "pro" camera.

Personally, I would rather spend $2000 or so on something that DID have 61pt AF, 10fps (and dual UDMA 7 CF), a 24.4mp APS-C, and a worthwhile IQ boost over ANY other APS-C sensor from Canon...something where NR works more on the level it does for the 5D III, rather than how it didn't so much for the 7D (Topaz DeNoise 5 definitely improves things...but it would be better if you could just clean up noise on the 7D II like you can on a 5D III or even better, 1D X photo).

Upvote 0
jrista said:
You are assuming Canon will leave the 7D II in the same target demographic bucket as the 7D.

This is a safe assumption to make, IMO.

To put it another way: if the 7DII is the 1DIV successor, what will be the 7D successor?

This is a rhetorical question 8).
Like I said, I don't see the 7DII morphing into a different class of camera.

I'd point to the various statements Canon has made about how they want to do something "special" with the 7D II.

What Canon actually said was that the 7DII would "evolve into new territory".
There are different ways to interpret that but I wouldn't read too much into it.
Just consider that when the 5DII was announced, its video feature was considered 'revolutionary'.
So, now that Canon is talking 'evolution', I wouldn't hold my breath for a big departure from the current concept.

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
unfocused said:
Frankly, the relatively low pricing of the 70D should give some reassurance that the 7DII will likely come in comfortably under $2,000
Completely agree 8)

Maybe, maybe not - I don't think the 70d price is a sufficient indicator because here Canon don't have a choice, they have to counter the very competent d7100, even though the Canon's dual af tech is unique while Nikon very likely has the better af system. With a potential 7d2 Canon has much more freedom to act.

x-vision said:
There's no reason to believe that the 7DII product positioning will change compared to that of the current 7D.

There is one reason: At the time of the original 7d there was the aps-h 1d4 with more reach than a ff, now there isn't. If Canon also wants to target the former 1d4 customers they could go for more quality & more $$$.

x-vision said:
To put it another way: if the 7DII is the 1DIV successor, what will be the 7D successor? This is a rhetorical question 8).

I'll answer it anyway :p ... a successor of the 7d1 is the 70d with about the same af system and some gimmicks, just as they split up the 5d2 into a higher end successor (5d3) and a reduced cost version (6d).

Upvote 0
although I am quite satisfied with what Canon did with the 70D (the sensor and ISO remains to be seen), I still think it's too much crippled to be a true 7D successor.

70D doesn't have 100% VF, 1x magnification, 3x custom func, less FPS, AF spot and selection missing, CF card, mag.alloy and same weather sealing, joystick,..

swivel touchscreen, Wi-Fi and faster AF in live view arent real compensations for all that in my book.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Sporgon said:
unfocused said:
Sporgon said:
I disagree here...

I disagree that you disagree. :)

Seriously, I think we are saying the same thing. 5DIII targeted to a professional market to fit a specific need. D800 targeted to...whom? I've never been sure.

The 5DIII may be $500 more camera, but that's because it has features that make it worth that to a specific market.

Agreed ;)

I think the 7Dii will follow the same path. Many sports 'pros' use the 7D as a much more affordable 1D -whatever. My guess is the next one will be basically an APS-c 1Dx.
My guess is the next one will be basically an APS-c 1Dx.
How great would that be?? A brand new Canon 7Dx! I think I'll preorder mine tonight! 8)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.