Canon EOS M50 Mark II announcement is likely this week

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon is expected to announce the Canon EOS Kiss M2 (Canon EOS M50 Mark II) this week. The new EOS M camera will be available as a body only lens kits with the EF-M 15-45 and EF-M 22mm.
Canon will also officially announce the PowerShot Zoom. The last time I heard about the PowerShot Zoom, it was only for the Japanese market.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I got a slap on here the other week when I said the M50 II would be up against the new Fuji X-S10. The s10 is being revealed on Thursday by Fuji and as a spoiler, this week Canon announces the M50 II. They are going to make an interesting comparison. The M50 will have better eye detect AF. The S10 has IBIS and a better range of native lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Given the current price point of the M6-2 and relative features of that camera and the M50-2, I have to wonder if the M6-2 price will drop, perhaps by $200, and the M50-2 will take its place. Also, I'd feel a lot better about the entire M system if Canon introduced 2 or 3 lenses simultaneously with M50-2, perhaps a 15 f/2, 53 f/2 and 15-50 f/2.8-4.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
Given the rumoured specs, I'd like to slap this on Fuji's face. Fuji! This is how you make an affordable camera. Same evf resolution (magnification?) as R6, 14fps, new sensor. We still don't know for how much the m50 II will retail. The Fuji with its crappy evf from 2013 will cost 1000$. Ibis? Oh dear. Sure it costs a bit to put it there. If it's a camera meant for videographers, why bother put a crappy evf on it.

Upvote 0
Given the rumoured specs, I'd like to slap this on Fuji's face. Fuji! This is how you make an affordable camera. Same evf resolution (magnification?) as R6, 14fps, new sensor. We still don't know for how much the m50 II will retail. The Fuji with its crappy evf from 2013 will cost 1000$. Ibis? Oh dear. Sure it costs a bit to put it there. If it's a camera meant for videographers, why bother put a crappy evf on it.

because they are all YouTubers looking at the articulating screen so they can film and preen at the same time. A not so good EVF didn’t harm sales of the M50 I.

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
because they are all YouTubers looking at the articulating screen so they can film and preen at the same time. A not so good EVF didn’t harm sales of the M50 I.
I didn't own the m50. But I do own the G1X mark III. I don't believe its evf is any better than the one on the m50. And it is very usable despite the low resolution by today's standards. The same Fuji evf they've been putting on all their less than top of the line cameras since the X-T20 and now most probably the X-S10 just isn't usable, to me at least since I wear glasses. Low magnification. Can't see anything in sunlight.

Upvote 0

Fris

EOS M5
Aug 10, 2020
Given the current price point of the M6-2 and relative features of that camera and the M50-2, I have to wonder if the M6-2 price will drop, perhaps by $200, and the M50-2 will take its place. Also, I'd feel a lot better about the entire M system if Canon introduced 2 or 3 lenses simultaneously with M50-2, perhaps a 15 f/2, 53 f/2 and 15-50 f/2.8-4.

I don't think they occupy the same niche. The M50 seems like a really accessible camera for casual users on a budget, while the M6 is aimed at enthusiasts who appreciate image quality and portability. Here in the Netherlands, the M6ii launched for almost €400 more than the m50.

So yes, I also hope the M6 will drop by $200, but I also hope the M50 will come in at a lower price point to better fit the budget of its niche.

About the lenses: yes! Would totally get that 15-50 f2.8-4.

Upvote 0
Well, well, well, looks like the M mount is dead (sarcastic).
The M50 EVF is fine, it just lacks color calibration, that's why it looks a bit washed out. Also specs about dot count alone does not tell you about the liveview resolution. On sony cameras I saw high resolution viewfinder with extremely low resolution feed (something like 480p). Also some Sony viewfinders flicker like a CRT screen, and that drives me crazy.

Upvote 0
I didn't own the m50. But I do own the G1X mark III. I don't believe its evf is any better than the one on the m50. And it is very usable despite the low resolution by today's standards. The same Fuji evf they've been putting on all their less than top of the line cameras since the X-T20 and now most probably the X-S10 just isn't usable, to me at least since I wear glasses. Low magnification. Can't see anything in sunlight.

I had an M50 and really liked it. Long story but I went to Fuji for the X-T4. I recently bought a used X-T30 as a backup body and the EVF is IMO better than the M50. Not as good as the T4. Very useable none the less. Everybody is different. To be fair I only need glasses for very close work.

Upvote 0
probably not.
The M50 was always the cheap camera. Can't see Canon changing that formula.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
That'll make it the 11th M body to be released versus the 8 native EF-M lenses from Canon. As much as I love my M50 and EF-M 32mm f/1.4, I simply cannot see myself investing any more into this system and will either start going to RF (Canon strategy working well here) or going to a different brand altogether.
The M's aren't about "investment" when the most expensive lens is still around $400.
it's about simply using them until they die basically.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
[...] if Canon introduced 2 or 3 lenses simultaneously with M50-2, perhaps a 15 f/2, 53 f/2 and 15-50 f/2.8-4.
That is a very fine set of lenses in combination with the 32 f/1.4!
I just bought a 2nd hand EF-S 15-85 which is quite good optically but lacks a little bit from higher apertures - and 15mm would be fine for landscape + vlogging + tight environments!

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
The M's aren't about "investment" when the most expensive lens is still around $400.
it's about simply using them until they die basically.

But an $1000 camera could use a better kit lens than the pretty mediocre $100 15-45. That lens doesn't even have a proper focus ring for manual focusing.
Will wait for this announcement but will probably not put any more money into the M system.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0