Canon EOS M50 Mark II announcement is likely this week

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Hi Dragon

Really good point about the 15-85. In the Uk one can get a really good used one for just over £200 and on Amazon new they are over £600. A really underrated piece of glass.
Seems like the reviewers just never could get excited about EF-s glass, no matter how good it was. Same seems to be true of M glass, some of which is also top notch (the 11-22 comes to mind). OTOH, they drool over Fuji glass. Not everybody shoot pictures in the dark.

Upvote 0
I have two M50 bodies and a M5. I'm at least curious about this camera. Though, I dont think I want another EF-M camera with limited physical controls. If the EVF is physically larger than the one in the M50 and M5, I'd consider it. While the RP has the same resolution EVF, it's physically larger and easier to see into. Given this is probably going to be cheaper than the M6 mark II... that's probably the extent of what they would do.

EF-M does have gaps in higher quality zooms and telephoto, but with Sigma and now Viltrox getting in there with AF lenses (oh, and that one Tamron...), we are seeing things fill out. The 56mm from Sigma was a big one for me. The 16mm I'm sure is a big one for a lot of people too. Though I would like a decently fast ~12mm with IS and an ~85. Maybe a fast telephoto as well. f/4 would be sufficient, but I can't see Canon releasing any constant max aperture zooms on EF-M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That EF-s 15-85 lives on my 90D. Arguably the most versatile of all the EF-s lenses and sharp enough to do the 90D justice, but it IS a bit bulky on the M5. OTOH, a 15-85M that ended at f/6.3 or 7.1 could be compact and very compelling.

While EVFs enable below-f/5.6-lenses I hate everything below 5.6 :) - maybe there is enough progress in lens element options to enable optical designers to use existing focal length/f-stop ranges in COMPACTER packages? According to wikipedia it is a lens design from 2009 and with IBIS there might be a way to optimize the in lens IS (ILIS?) for longer focal lengths and use the IBIS with the shorter focal lengths to reduce IS group/actor size. We have DO and BR as options which arent too expensive.
Maybe we need again a mid price segment with reasonable f-stops and prices instead of these very expensive very high end lenses and those really cheap and reduced lenses.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Maybe we need again a mid price segment with reasonable f-stops and prices instead of these very expensive very high end lenses and those really cheap and reduced lenses.

I think a decent constant f/4 constant M zoom would be superb, and certainly possible

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think a decent constant f/4 constant M zoom would be superb, and certainly possible
Same here but I think we should expect some 15-60mm focal range with f/4 - the front lens diameter usually is large to avoid wide angle settings without mechanical vignetting except ... someone @ Canon has a new idea to bend the light in lenses in a creative way :)

Upvote 0

hyt

May 28, 2020

As much as I would love to see that, I just honestly don't think it's ever going to happen. Considering how Canon have hamstrung the EF-M lenses with their constant 60.9mm barrel diameter design choice to make a visually appealing set of portable lenses, I can't see them now breaking that mould and designing faster M lenses while so much of their energy is already confirmed on filling out the RF system over the next couple of years.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
yeah...
- same hardware (it seems)
- improved eye-focus
- Better tracking
- While looking through the VF, simply tap the screen to jump eye/face/subject
- New spot 1 point AF (even smaller square AF it seems)
- Automatic images/video transfert to PC via Image Transfer Utility 2 (don't know if it's tethering, not sure)
- youtube streaming (like G7 X III?)
- 1080/120fps

So like the original M50, vlogger target. No info about the 4K crop. But DPAF in 4k seems enabled.
For me that's a good thing for a possible M5 II (more still oriented) :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
yeah...
- same hardware (it seems)
- improved eye-focus
- While looking through the VF, simply tap the screen to jump eye/face/subject
- youtube streaming (like G7 X III?)
- 1080/120fps

So like the original M50, vlogger target.
For me that's a good thing for a possible M5 II :)
A vlogger's camera...probably with a Sigma lens.

Upvote 0
neither do i.

but canon never dramatically increases the price of subsequent camera models - and the m50 sold in spades because it was under $700 body only.
Welp I was right, it's a M50 Mark II .. this makes sense. I can't find the blog entry but Craig originally had two EOS-M's .. one with with a 24MP and the other with the 32MP. it could be the signals just got mixed up.
  • 24.1MP ASP-C
  • 4K no mention of frame rates or full width I don't think
  • 1080p120
  • 10 FPS / 7.4 FPS with AF
  • DIGIC 8
  • EyeAF Improved
  • Live YouTube (Like the G7X Mark IV)

Upvote 0
If it can't do everything my 700D can do, then no deal for me. I would like to see a cable release port on the M50 mkII, more M telephotos lenses for the portability and animal eye AF would be awesome.

Does the M50 feel awkward with the EF adapter with telephoto lenses? I have the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM.

Hi

With the adaptor the non-L 70-300 Mk II was about as big as was comfortable. The EF-S 55-250 was very nice as was the EF-S 15-85 (though this one a touch front heavy.

Upvote 0
If it can't do everything my 700D can do, then no deal for me. I would like to see a cable release port on the M50 mkII, more M telephotos lenses for the portability and animal eye AF would be awesome.

Does the M50 feel awkward with the EF adapter with telephoto lenses? I have the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM.
700D? I mean there's so much that it can run rings around your 700D. perhaps the only thing it cannot is your cable release. it won't have it. You do have a bluetooth release and tethered smartphone though.

Everything else it mops the floor with it. the APS-C 24MP sensors are night and day better than the 18MP sensors, and it's cheap too. should be around $650 at launch for body only - and a TON smaller than your 700D.

fcd92661c682f060a5062510b766f2c3.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
700D? I mean there's so much that it can run rings around your 700D. perhaps the only thing it cannot is your cable release. it won't have it.
everything else it mops the floor with it. the APS-C 24MP sensors are night and day better than the 18MP sensors.

Does the M50 have bulb mode? Cause to my surprise the M10 does not

Upvote 0
Does the M50 have bulb mode? Cause to my surprise the M10 does not

Yes but you have to work for it.

"Turn your mode dial to "M" for manual. You will have a range of shutter speeds available to select, between 1/4000th of a second and 30 seconds. If you scroll past the 30 second option, you will see the word "Bulb" appear".

It is also available in touch mode.

Upvote 0