Canon EOS M50 Mark II coming in 2020 [CR2]

I love my M50 to death - would really like to see them move the HDMI port off the grip somehow and add a headphone jack. Also, it's crazy to me that they don't at least have a native flat profile; Sony puts HLG and S-Log on their point and shoots, so I think it's reasonable to hope for C-log on the next M50. Hopefully there's a higher end M camera with IBIS and 10 bit, but I'd be fine without them on an M50 follow-up.

Now give me a battery grip and a native 18-35 f/1.8 option and I'll be very happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Super excited about this great news, dream inclusions are
1-IBIS
2-custom modes on the dial even just 2 would be handy.
3-unlimited 1080 recording
4-same battery as r5-r6 would be good upgrade and great for price as all systems using it
5-usb-c or thunderbolt port so we can record direct to external ssd would be amazing just have a backup sd card for emergency
6- better ISO for night shooting
7-weather proofing would be great too

Upvote 0
It always seemed a given that Canon was going to continue the M line, and especially the M50, given that it is the best selling mirrorless camera on Amazon and in Japan. If they can add IBIS and adopt the M6 MkII sensor (seems a given on the sensor), it will sell well. I'm sure Canon is going to have a tough decision deciding on the second dial. On the one hand, it would make settings easier on the fly. On the other hand, it is touted as being simple (it is the mirrorless rebel or kiss after all), so one dial would be consistent with philosophy. Adding IBIS would seem to add quite a bit of cost this early in the adoption of the technology by Canon, so it may get skipped. However, IBIS is a great feature for video, and the M50 camera is extensively used by the vlogging crowd.
The M50 is a great camera today. It is good news that it is going to get better. They need to release an m-mount nifty fifty.
If the M50 Mk2 gets the FPS of the M6 Mk2, it will completely compete with the 7D mk2 for performance.
i think they made the 50 with the 32mm with the 1.6 factor comes out as 51.2 apparently the best lens in quality might be worth a look if its what you need

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The R is the reason I got the M50.

When I found out the day it was announced that it had no IBIS, I immediately purchased the M50.
No way was I going to spend THAT much money on a non IBIS camera.

Now I like the small form factor (compared to my T3i). It lets me gets into places that do not allow cameras. Especially with the tiny EF-M 70-200 (forgot exact mm).

Not sure if to get the new M50 (only if it has IBIS) or R6 or to get both.

Upvote 0

epic.one

EOS M5 | Sony A7
Jan 26, 2019
Johannesburg
Personally don't think the M50 MkII is getting IBIS. I think a lot of people are forgetting that its meant to sit between the Mxxx and Mx line. I expect:
  • Improved 24 megapixel sensor
  • Latest Digic processor
  • 4K 60fps
  • New kit options
  • Same tilting touchscreen (maybe with better resolution)
  • Same LP-E12 battery
The 32 megapixel sensor and IBIS are reserved for the M5 Mark II as addo9ng it to an updated M50 would almost double its price and necessitate a bigger body to accommodate the LP-E17.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
...and necessitate a bigger body to accommodate the LP-E17.

17 vs 12...I think the 17 might be one or even two millimeters thicker, otherwise, they're very close to the same size. It wouldn't take that much bigger a body to accommodate the LP-E17, and that's assuming it's jam-packed in there. If not...it would take nothing at all.

I'd love to see Canon consolidate its batteries at least somewhat, on future models.

(As a complete aside, I have two cameras that take the LP-E17; as such I was interested in the RP for a while since it also takes that battery.)

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
Personally don't think the M50 MkII is getting IBIS. I think a lot of people are forgetting that its meant to sit between the Mxxx and Mx line. I expect:
  • Improved 24 megapixel sensor
  • Latest Digic processor
  • 4K 60fps
  • New kit options
  • Same tilting touchscreen (maybe with better resolution)
  • Same LP-E12 battery
The 32 megapixel sensor and IBIS are reserved for the M5 Mark II as addo9ng it to an updated M50 would almost double its price and necessitate a bigger body to accommodate the LP-E17.
That would be nifty for someone new to the system, but it wouldn't be worth upgrading from the first gen, at least not for me.

Upvote 0

mcfrlnd

EOS R5 & 5D MK IV
Sep 13, 2019
I think Canon could benefit from slimming down their product offerings here. I don't know if the numbers support having both the M5 and M50. With the M50 clearly the better seller, it could make sense for them to cannibalize the M5 and just produce a much improved M50. There's no reason why they couldn't maintain a level of simplicity that helped make it so popular while beefing up its functionality.

I tried the M50 strictly for video and really liked the form factor (best of the M line IMO). I just wished it had more advanced features and user control. Ultimately, that was its downfall for me. I'd definitely reconsider the platform if Canon comes through with IBIS, 4K un-cropped w/ better DPAF integration, enhanced user control, and battery life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
I find the contrast between the general popularity of the M50 and the lack of excitement / posts on this forum about its successor quite amusing.

Goes to show how poorly 'the market' is represented here :LOL:
This is usually the case in any enthusiast forum. The frustrating part is there would likely be more of a mod/addon scene if the enthusiasts took it more seriously. The stalled development over on MagicLantern, for instance, means that their mods are decreasingly relevant as they are missing out on Canon's most popular camera for almost two years now (not that that necessarily matters to the project owners).

I also think Canon could release a higher end M50 Mk II, but if so they'd probably need to call it a M60 as they'd need to keep the current M50 in market to continue capturing the market they've been hitting where it's an ideal price/performance/features ratio for a *lot* of users.

Upvote 0
I think if Canon just adds the M6 mk sensor and 4K with DPAF, then it will continue to sell well. Canon generally just adds the next generation sensor to all of its cameras - I don't think they will improve upon their old 24MP sensor, so I would predict the new camera will get the 32MP sensor. This will allow DPAF with 4K.
Because Canon can probably just make those two changes and have it keep selling well, they probably will. If they decide that they need to include IBIS to keep the vlogging/video users excited about the new camera, they should do it. It would guarantee it to be a great seller, but I don't know if they are willing to pass the IBIS technology down to their cheaper models yet. I would guess not but hope so.

Upvote 0