Canon EOS M50 Mark II Specifications [CR2]

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
This sounds reasonable DPAF II is a great addition for the M50 II, but surely this camera can’t be any more money than 799 £ or $

It would be nice to see an M5 II come along soon with IBIS and slightly better spec for say 999 £ or $
Try $1,499. Please name me an APS-C camera for $999 with Ibis. The Sony DSLR-A100 I bought 14 years ago was that much back then.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
4K@60FPS!? If you thought there were overheating problems with the R5 and R6, just wait for this camera...just a Wild Guess.
I mean, GH5 has been doing 4k60 for nearly 4 years; sensor size matters. Obviously the Sony cams had all sorts of issues with overheating at APS-C early on, but Sony solved that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
This will be a great little camera. Makes me feel better about the money I just spent on the original M50 too. This has nice upgrades across the board but for a casual use body I wouldn't see much benefit from the upgrade. And I didn't want to spend too much. I think this one will be maybe $800 US at launch. We will see.

Brian

Upvote 0

leadin2

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2017
Singapore
lol

Well I'll probably get it. I love my M6 Mark II but forgetting the viewfinder just makes me feel bad for the whole photo session. With animal eye AF from DPAF2 it'll be perfect for birding.
I keep putting my face to the camera, only to remember I don’t have evf in my previous M6 lol
After I bought an external evf, realized I seldom use it since the touch screen is too convenient. Just a matter of getting used to.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Following the logic I've read here, Canon is supposed to focus solely on the R bodies, so why is this camera coming?

If they release a new M camera despite this "logic", why is it not sensible to expect a 5D Mark V as well?

Because M bodies sell like candy. Simple, small, and most importantly these days - double as web cams. Like a dozen of my friends bought the M50 just for that. My sister got the white one because “it was pretty.” My brother got one because it was cheap enough “for what he needs while traveling, and is light.” People have their reasons, but they sell tons of these little guys. I think Canon would have preferred to give the line up and go only with RF, but they sell so many of them now. Can’t say know to a proven revenue stream. Most people buying M series cameras are like the old rebel users; often they will just buy an updated rebel like 5 years later instead of moving up the line. Same happens here.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Anything about a R Aps-C?!
Would be cool with only 20MP! For better pixels.
Yes man this camera with 4k 60p is great news for the APS-C Canon line. Been waiting for this so long. Just wish it was with the ergonomics of a R body. I also have much more faith with the RF glass for the future compared to the M line. M line doesn't seem to get much attention with new (quality) glass.

Would love to go FF but swapping my current kit 200d, canon 10-18, sigma 18-35 and 60mm macro for an equivalent FF body and glass is far from cheap especially for a hobbyist.

Would love to pay up to 2k body only, if Canon could deliver a nice R7 APS C body or so.
On my wish list:
4k 60p 10 bit DPAF no crop and nice detailed footage
IBIS (hopefully less wobbles on UWA than with FF)
Animal AF
1080p 120p with DPAF no crop
Combined with some nice stills this would be my dream camera for now.

There was a rumor earlier about R APS C body in the end of 2021. Waiting.. waiting....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try $1,499. Please name me an APS-C camera for $999 with Ibis. The Sony DSLR-A100 I bought 14 years ago was that much back then.

On 15 October Fuji is formally announcing the X-S10 which is going to be priced at $999 and we know it will have IBIS. Also lots of other lovely features.

Having said that if the body size is right I might buy an M50 II in a few months when discounts are available depending on whether it has animal eye detect AF. It will depend on the body dimensions.

Upvote 0
Yes man this camera with 4k 60p is great news for the APS-C Canon line. Been waiting for this so long. Just wish it was with the ergonomics of a R body. I also have much more faith with the RF glass for the future compared to the M line. M line doesn't seem to get much attention with new (quality) glass.

Would love to go FF but swapping my current kit 200d, canon 10-18, sigma 18-35 and 60mm macro for an equivalent FF body and glass is far from cheap especially for a hobbyist.

Would love to pay up to 2k body only, if Canon could deliver a nice R7 APS C body or so.
On my wish list:
4k 60p 10 bit DPAF no crop and nice detailed footage
IBIS (hopefully less wobbles on UWA than with FF)
Animal AF
1080p 120p with DPAF no crop
Combined with some nice stills this would be my dream camera for now.

There was a rumor earlier about R APS C body in the end of 2021. Waiting.. waiting....

Hello Nigel95

I was looking for a similar sort of upgrade path. I had a 100D (much underrated) and ended up with an M50 and 90D. The latter was rubbish and I swopped it for an RP. The M50 was really nice as was the RP but after considerable thought and a fair bit of angst I sold my Canon kit and bought a Fuji X-T4 which has a crop sensor. The eye autofocus doesn't match Canon. Everything else knocks the mid range Canon offerings out of the park. It is a beast.

If I was in your position, I'd sit and wait to see what Canon does in a year or so. In the meantime you will still have a really nice set up and will get great images out of it.

Canon aren't my favourite company at the moment because they got lost when mirrorless came along. If one doesn't actually need mirrorless then they have a range of great products. Outside of that the R5, R6, RP and M50 plus M6 Mk II (the last with reservations) are good, but they don't have the breadth of Sony.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
No IBIS ... ta da dááá ... pass ....

I have the same feelings.
Even if, realistically (based on previous rumors), I did not expect this one have IBIS.

About three years ago when I started to feel that my very old 450D needs a refresh I wanted an APS-C camera with IBIS. But at that time the only one was Sony A6600, which I did not like. So I decided to stay with Canon for another period of time. Until I actually accomplished my decision, the Fujifilm X-H1 came out. I was tempted, but it was not as small and light as I would have wanted. So I finally bought a used Canon 80D. It was the smallest APS-C Canon with focus micro-adjustments.
I like its IQ and features (the focus MA changed my 85mm 1.8 into a very usable lens), but it is too big and has no IBIS. I really miss it with my longer primes (85 and 100). In low light I am always deciding between f/5.6 with IS and f/1.8 without IS. None of them is optimal. I want f/1.8 with IS!
Therefore I decided to buy a smaller mirrorless camera (smaller than 80D and X-H1) with IBIS by the end of this year or beginning of the next year. So I am eagerly waiting if Canon gives me a camera to consider and eventually stay with Canon or the only option will be Fujifilm (X-T4 or maybe the new rumored X-S10)...

Upvote 0