Canon EOS M50 Mark II Specifications [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Following the logic I've read here, Canon is supposed to focus solely on the R bodies, so why is this camera coming?

If they release a new M camera despite this "logic", why is it not sensible to expect a 5D Mark V as well?
Because Canon said there’s no 5D Mark V coming. Perfect logic right there. That’s as sensible and logical as you can get.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
I saw someone mention that there will be a follow up to the M5 - I want to upgrade but did not like the M6ii lack of viewfinder. I have the M5. Should I get this one with these rumored specs or is something better coming - I am confused if this is the upgrade I have been waiting for - I know earlier ppl said the m6ii was not much of an upgrade for the m5 and the specs on this m50ii appears to be the same as an m6ii with viewfinder. I don't want to get this if there is something better coming shortly with IBIS or even a full frame M system camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
and bought a Fuji X-T4 which has a crop sensor. The eye autofocus doesn't match Canon. Everything else knocks the mid range Canon offerings out of the park. It is a beast.

If I was in your position, I'd sit and wait to see what Canon does in a year or so. In the meantime you will still have a really nice set up and will get great images out of it.
I was looking into the Fuji XT4 if canon made a body like that with APS-C I would be so happy! However Fuji also has some pretty expensive glass. If I would replace my current 3 lenses. I could probably just get a R6 with some FF glass for that kind of money. (didn't do the math exactly but thats what I remember from earlier looking into it). I Remember there is an adapter for Fuji for Canon glass but ofc AF will not be optimal. I remember also that capture one is better for Fuji raw files (worm artifacts). I use Adobe software myself but I have no personal experience with those 'worms' things just something I read when researching back then.

I am very pleased with the current 200d stills IQ for my needs. Don't even need an upgrade for this honestly. Although IBIS would be nice same as Animal AF. However the current 1080p footage is just not cutting it for me from the 200d. Extremely mushy and soft. I want something more detailed and better color reproduction. If only Magic lantern had an option with decent DPAF. Those raw video footage from the EOS-M is more work in the workflow but damn glorious. You can pick one up for like $150 used lol.

Indeed let's wait and stick to my current kit for now.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The EOS M50 Mark II will not necessarily replace the EOS M5. The EOS M5 has a 1.62m-dot 3.2” touchscreen and a 1040 mAh LP-E17 battery whereas the existing EOS M50 only has a 1.04m-dot 3.0” touchscreen and an 875 mAh LP-E12 battery.

Those are probably the two least significant differences between the M50 and the M5 you could have picked.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I was looking into the Fuji XT4 if canon made a body like that with APS-C I would be so happy! However Fuji also has some pretty expensive glass. If I would replace my current 3 lenses. I could probably just get a R6 with some FF glass for that kind of money. (didn't do the math exactly but thats what I remember from earlier looking into it). I Remember there is an adapter for Fuji for Canon glass but ofc AF will not be optimal. I remember also that capture one is better for Fuji raw files (worm artifacts). I use Adobe software myself but I have no personal experience with those 'worms' things just something I read when researching back then.

I am very pleased with the current 200d stills IQ for my needs. Don't even need an upgrade for this honestly. Although IBIS would be nice same as Animal AF. However the current 1080p footage is just not cutting it for me from the 200d. Extremely mushy and soft. I want something more detailed and better color reproduction. If only Magic lantern had an option with decent DPAF. Those raw video footage from the EOS-M is more work in the workflow but damn glorious. You can pick one up for like $150 used lol.

Indeed let's wait and stick to my current kit for now.

Hi Nigel.

Switching wasn’t an easy choice for me. In the end I added up the cost of an R6 plus the cost of the lenses I wanted (because some R glass is so new no chance of used) and for less money I got the X-T4 (I like the crop to increase reach) with the 16-80 and a 100-400 as new used for just over £3000.00. Add in a couple of third party batteries and a couple of extra SD cards and I’m good to go. All weather sealed and great stabilisation.

Am I happy with it all? Absolutely. Do I want Fuji to improve their AF? Yep.

Do I miss Canon? To a degree because I like their kit. Trouble is they don’t seem interested in the part of the market I’m in. And I’m not alone. Think about the people on here and elsewhere who are gagging for a 7D MkIII (or rather R7).

I rarely shoot video so that is an unknown to me personally, yet there are lots of shooters out there getting great results from the x-t4 / 3.

The question I’d ask all the Canon fans here is ‘why stick with Canon when other makers produce products that might better meet your needs’?

Canon loves your money and they love your loyalty. Are they reciprocating your commitment?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0