Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
I don't care about dual card slots, but expect they will include them as so many people have whined about it.

Joysticks are pretty much redundant on mirrorless and the last think the R body needs is another control taking up real estate on the back.

I don't care that much about dual card slots, but if available, I won't complain for sure!

I don't know where you live, but I'm from Montreal, Canada, and in winter we can get very cold weather. So I repeat, in winter time, a joystick would be much appreciated to change the focus point, as it's faster than the directional button.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

But will it have a usable viewfinder. I've so far found all modern EVFs to be just barely usable, with the least bad the OM-D EM-5 Mark II, and the two Canon's to be below average - about the same as the Sony A7 ii.

I can't believe, after all this time, how bad the EVFs still are.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
Because I m shooting mostly wedding. Flash photography is nice, but in most of my weddings it would ruin the atmosphere. I can shoot with flash, but I don t like it. It adds to photos something, what wasn t there in real life. But it is just my oppinion - I m not saying, that flash photography isn t ok. I just prefer natural light and real atmosphere. That s it :)
I understand your point and that's why I said that it depends on the type of photography you do... I've done only two weddings so I can't speak of experience.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
But will it have a usable viewfinder. I've so far found all modern EVFs to be just barely usable, with the least bad the OM-D EM-5 Mark II, and the two Canon's to be below average - about the same as the Sony A7 ii.

With a statement like that, you are either a troll, or you don’t have any experience with the EOS R.

The R and Rp does not have the same EVF.

I do agree though, that an OVF is better in some shooting scenarios, when the lighting is very good (such as sunlight).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Yesterday, I ve spoke with some photographer, who is also working in Canon as sales representative and he accidentelly told me, that there will be two new bodies early in 2020 - Rs (high mpx) and some low light beast. But who knows. I m really into it. This would be perfect bopdy for me, as I hate flash photography.
Didn't they tell why they expected Rs to be worse in low light?

Upvote 0
I understand your point and that's why I said that it depends on the type of photography you do... I've done only two weddings so I can't speak of experience.
Agree with that. Nex think is, that usual people are quite nervous, when you re setting strobes during wedding photoshoot. It looks more "professional" and they yre scared, because they re not "proffesional models" and it is not so natural. Not to mention, that flash photography takes more times. And I don t have any spare time during their day :)

Upvote 0
Didn't they tell why they expected Rs to be worse in low light?
No, he immidietelly stop talking about that. I think he shouldn t share. I assume, that low light version would have some low megapixel sensor? Something like sony a7s II? Something around 18 mpx would be perfect for low light shooting. But it is just guess - I think, time will tell :)

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
With a statement like that, you are either a troll, or you don’t have any experience with the EOS R.

Tried one of each in the store.

The R and Rp does not have the same EVF.

Both were awful.
I do agree though, that an OVF is better in some shooting scenarios, when the lighting is very good (such as sunlight).

And when things are moving, or there is high contrast, or where the light is low and you don't want your low-light adaptation destroyed, or where you want to see the scene as it appears to the unaided eye.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Including all the firmware updates in the mark 1 , what can the mark2 give us that was missing in the first one?
Besides what others said, how about being able to use the camera for sports. This is mirrorless design and it is useless for sports or action photography. Sure you can time a shot, but in reality, the EOS R and RP were not permitted to compete with the Canon dslr lines. It's a shame since the RF glass is so good.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I think the only thing finalized with the EOS R was the RF-Mount. I love the EOS R, but would love it even more if it were closer to the capabilities of the 5D Mark IV. Let's face it, the only real advantage the EOS R has over the 5D is autofocus and maybe the tilt screen - which is not to everyone's taste.

That said, the EOS R is still fantastic and I really can't wait to see what's next from Canon in this line of cameras. I don't think that the fact Sony just outsold them in Japan has gone unnoticed.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com

Both were awful.

And when things are moving, or there is high contrast, or where the light is low and you don't want your low-light adaptation destroyed, or where you want to see the scene as it appears to the unaided eye.

Tried one in the store...now I'm an expert.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Tried one in the store...now I'm an expert.

If it stunk following a walking person in decent light in the store, how will it get better following faster subjects in more difficult conditions?

The store is easy conditions. I don't understand how people think something which stinks in the store will get better when you take it out of the store.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Very interesting, though I find myself a bit sceptical over the timeline, considering that this aggressive of a release timeline seems like it would be out of character for Canon. If this and the other rumors are true, then we'd expect Canon to release a 1DX III, high resolution R body, R mark II, and a 5D V in 2020, let alone the note that they'd have several more RF lenses coming in the same timeframe. I can see the 1D series and the 5D series or R series coming at the same time, but this is stacking up a lot of bodies at the higher end of the spectrum in a row. That seems like a lot of different production lines to start up at once... unless the RII and the high resolution body only differ from each other in the sensor, kind of like the R and Ra?

Lots to watch for now!
Let's face it. The 1DXMKIII will have the greatest impact on the current professional market than any other camera being discussed here.

It will also have the greatest impact on Nikon with their D6 coming to fruition with months of each other.

A professional mirrorless camera with the ergonomics' clarity in an EVF to rival an OVF after a generation of refining dies not exist. And to get everyone to make the substantial investment in all new glass will take a generation of proven efficacy.

The 1DXMKIII will be important as it show everyone what Canon is capable of placing into the next two generations of R and EVEN better!

Upvote 0

Both were awful.

Really? ... while most people testing and share the good experience with the eos R (especially with 1.4 firmware), this people "tried one in the store" and were awful.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Let's face it. The 1DXMKIII will have the greatest impact on the current professional market than any other camera being discussed here.

It will also have the greatest impact on Nikon with their D6 coming to fruition with months of each other.

A professional mirrorless camera with the ergonomics' clarity in an EVF to rival an OVF after a generation of refining dies not exist. And to get everyone to make the substantial investment in all new glass will take a generation of proven efficacy.

The 1DXMKIII will be important as it show everyone what Canon is capable of placing into the next two generations of R and EVEN better!

I really hope that Canon could put out a Mirror-less that could be somewhat on par with the 1DXIII. If the 1DXIII truly does have the best video specs out of Canon's DSLR & Mirrorless lines, then it would deter me from investing in Canon's new line of glass, which is incredibly nice. This may mean I'll just keep with my EF lens and pick up the 1DXIII.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Really? ... while most people testing and share the good experience with the eos R
Stockholm syndrome ;)

Really. The current EVFs suck no matter that brand. Maybe they could look better if one could assign different exposure compensation and different picture style to the EVF preview and to the final picture.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

I suggest you test the Leica SL 2 or the Panasonic S 1, their EVFs are superb !

Upvote 0

wickedac

I'm old here.
Jul 19, 2017
Worcester, MA
Agree with that. Nex think is, that usual people are quite nervous, when you re setting strobes during wedding photoshoot. It looks more "professional" and they yre scared, because they re not "proffesional models" and it is not so natural. Not to mention, that flash photography takes more times. And I don t have any spare time during their day :)

Weddings are what drove me to learn off-camera flash, I can't imagine shooting a reception or indoor portraits without it. Even outside in daylight it has it's uses. Mastery of flash is essential if you're going to be able to take on any situation and provide professional results. If you feel like you don't have enough time you need to figure that out and work with your clients. In an 8-12 hour day there's always time, and if there's a lot going on that's what second shooters and assistants are for. Just setting up my reception lighting can take a half hour with up to four sandbagged light stands and sometimes another one or two smaller stands with speedlights for little things like cake cutting etc. The clients know I need this time and it's fit into the timeline.

Upvote 0