Canon EOS R vs 5D Mark IV - Pros & Cons

Apr 25, 2011
But, if you think about it, it is kind of crazy that you have to do that (for the peaking, the fixed screen I understand a little),
A 7" fullHD display is nice by itself.

and you also don't have the option of 4k external recording.
Why? What prevents using a passthrough display or a display with a built-in recorder?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
EOS R Pro/Cons vs 5D4

+faster autofocus
Are you sure it is faster? Canon has a footnote as a caveat for fastest: "Among interchangeable lens digital mirrorless cameras incorporating 35mm full frame equivalent image sensors with phase-difference detection AF on the image plane and contrast detection AF, available in the market as of September 5th, 2018 (Based on Canon's Research).", which excludes the 5DIV. In fact, the EOS R is rated by Canon at 5 fps for focussing for APS-C vs 7 fps for the 5DIV. The EOS R can do 10 fps only if it doesn't AF after the first frame.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Generally speaking, one is not clearly better than the other, one has a zillion AF points and (hopefully) intelligent tracking through the frame (and for video), and the other is just quicker to snap into initial focus from far away and also better at quick tracking (as long as it has been told with good settings on what to expect), but they are both useful for different situations.
That might change later of course, but that's where it is now.
And of course in theory, you may need to micro-adjust mirror-based AF, but not DPAF because it is already judged by the sensor's pixels themselves and also the camera's algorithm, that figures out what should be in focus.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
https://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

check the EOS R against the 5D MK4 and the Sony a7R III.

the sony is of course more expensive than the canon but shows noticable better image quality.

i update my 5D Mk4 when canon offers me better image quality.
i hope that the higher end mirrorless model will see an increase in resolution and overall better image quality.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Some additional pros for R:
- Does not need lens calibration (general advantage of mirrorless)
- Has precise focus guide in manual focus (eliminates the need of external monitor for video)
- Can mount both EF and EF-S lenses via adapter
- Supports a 3rd customizable ring on lenses
By lens calibration, do you mean AFMA? I've heard people say there is no need for AFMA in mirrorless. Can someone explain that?

Upvote 0
By lens calibration, do you mean AFMA? I've heard people say there is no need for AFMA in mirrorless. Can someone explain that?
In a nutshell, DSLRs have a separate AF sensor different from the image sensor and any difference in the optical path between the two sensors must be compensated somehow, usually through the AFMA process. In mirrorless, the phase or contrast detect methods use the image on the sensor itself to achieve AF, albeit known to be a tad slower.
Dustin Abbott has a two parts video explaining the AFMA process and tools and a few thread in CR such as this are dedicated to the AFMA dicussion.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
... a way too much in only a few years if advances in technology continue as they have. Here's my question for myself. If I don't presently get out to shoot how is a lighter lens going to help?;)

Jack
Wouldn't you like a 500 that weighs almost as your current 400 DO ? :)

OK I am exaggerating a little, it will weigh more but you get my point. We only get older with time and the less weight the better.
But I have followed you in the birds thread and you are doing just fine :) Nice pictures, nice place(s), nice attitude.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
5D IV +Available now, known/understood system and full functionality is not pending firmware updates.

Just got my 5D IV last week and so far I'm very excited and pleased. Lots to learn stepping up from a 50D.
You will not regret it! It is a very nice camera for general purpose, portraits, night/low light shots, landscape, etc.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
You will not regret it! It is a very nice camera for general purpose, portraits, night/low light shots, landscape, etc.

I'll add that it can also be competent for action shooting particularly if you're not a paid pro who must get "that shot"...the AF tracking is good enough...gotten great results at ice shows with it, especially since many have virtually nonexistent lighting. I prefer it to the 7D2 I was using before basically due to its superior high ISO performance. Also, the additional resolution over a 1DX/II leaves room for extra cropping as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Comparing the R with the 5D4 in that image comparison, the R image is noticeably crisper. Did IR use the same lens on both cameras?

Answering my own question, I saw the "EXIF" button and indeed, although both were taken at 50mm, in the case of the R the much sharper RF 50 1.2 was used, whereas the 50mm compact macro was used in the 5D4 shot (and the other Canons that I know of)...misleading! Not an equivalent comparison as it is set up at the moment.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0