Canon EOS R3 and Canon EOS R5 to receive new firmware next week

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Both the Canon EOS R3 and Canon EOS R5 will receive new firmware next week. We have been told that some cameras are returning from service with the new firmware already installed.
The new firmware will be focused on video improvements for both cameras. Sorry photographers.
We’ll let you know the second that new firmware goes live across Canon’s web sites.

Continue reading...

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I haven't updated my firmware at all on the R5.
If fact I've rarely done it in the past with all my other cameras.
Do people recommend it for the R5. Did it genuinely improve anything - focus tracking in particular in the last firmware update?
I'm a sort of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type of person but if tracking was improved I'd take that

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Do people recommend it for the R5. Did it genuinely improve anything - focus tracking in particular in the last firmware update?
I'm a sort of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type of person but if tracking was improved I'd take that
I think of it as always an improvement or else they wouldn’t release it. Loads of new functionality from the original firmware.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I’m really really hoping Canon will allow us to shoot video utilizing the full sensor height. We deserve the option of using the entire sensor to capture video. It’s easy enough to crop in post to whatever aspect ratio required.

As thing stand, these cameras are only full frame in photo mode. In movie mode, they are all crop sensor cameras.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

another_mikey

CR Pro
Feb 17, 2015
Improved subject tracking and expanded eye tracking for different subjects are just 2 of the things that come to mind over the original firmware, but there are more added features as well. Plus I am sure many bug fixes. As a software developer in a former life, I can tell you that these firmware updates are almost certainly very heavily scrutinized and tested, so that there is going to be a very low risk of anything negative. Canon has also shown a willingness to put out quick updates in those rare cases that an previous update has any unintended consequences.

Bottom line - you are missing out on new features and reliability if you do not keep your firmware up to date.

ML

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Canon DSLRs firmware updates did only very rarely contain anything but fixes to obscure bugs, but it’s a bit different now. Some of the R bodies have received significant improvements and new features.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I will need the lens profile of the already ordered RF24 not just in the R5 but in the R as well.
Do the lenses themselves now contain the correction profiles and transfer them to the camera?

The latest firmware update for the EOS R was in Nov 2020 and added support for the RF 70-200/2.8 and RF 100-500. The RF 14-35/4L was announced in June 2021, and when I mounted it on my EOS R the correction profile was in there. Of course, it's possible that the firmware update from 7 months earlier contained the profile for the 14-35, and for obvious reasons Canon did not list that lens with the update.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Do the lenses themselves now contain the correction profiles and transfer them to the camera?

The latest firmware update for the EOS R was in Nov 2020 and added support for the RF 70-200/2.8 and RF 100-500. The RF 14-35/4L was announced in June 2021, and when I mounted it on my EOS R the correction profile was in there. Of course, it's possible that the firmware update from 7 months earlier contained the profile for the 14-35, and for obvious reasons Canon did not list that lens with the update.
It starts to look like something Canon may use to force people to upgrade. Is Canon going to provide firmware for new lenses released 10 years from now? That would be quite a list of cameras to have to support. The R5, R3, R1 might be safe bets, but anything below that is probably going to end up unsupported within 5 years. The cinema cameras will probably get updates too but at some point its all going to run out. Personally I don't get a 24mm with 11% distortion. I'm guessing it will have similar image quality in the corners compared to the 24-240mm at 24mm. Why a prime 24mm needs to have that amount of distortion is confusing to be sure. Perhaps Canon has simply lost the plot. Time to switch to Nikon?

Upvote 0

Monte

EOS R3
CR Pro
Jul 7, 2013
ALBERTA, CANADA
A general question I've been meaning to ask for a while: can firmware be updated wirelessly, or is it still done the old way by loading onto a memory card?
My R3 did an update when I connected it to my iPhone via the app. So the R3 will do it without the old load it on a card method.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
What nobody hardly ever writes about is that the R3 is in urgent need of a firmware fix regarding issues such as the camera crashing after switching off from sleep mode (it no longer can be powered on until the battery is removed and reinstalled) and that the camera sometimes drains the battery all the way down even when powered off. I know as a fact that I‘m not the only one dealing with these issues, but I guess there are too few R3s out there that this would be a major discussion topic. Nevertheless, it is a little disappointing from my perspective since I‘ve had this pricy camera since May now and this has yet to be addressed. So I‘ll be keeping my fingers crossed that this is hidden somewhere in the new firmware.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What nobody hardly ever writes about is that the R3 is in urgent need of a firmware fix regarding issues such as the camera crashing after switching off from sleep mode (it no longer can be powered on until the battery is removed and reinstalled) and that the camera sometimes drains the battery all the way down even when powered off. I know as a fact that I‘m not the only one dealing with these issues, but I guess there are too few R3s out there that this would be a major discussion topic. Nevertheless, it is a little disappointing from my perspective since I‘ve had this pricy camera since May now and this has yet to be addressed. So I‘ll be keeping my fingers crossed that this is hidden somewhere in the new firmware.
Sorry you’re having issues, hope the update addresses them.

I’ve had my R3 since last November and never experienced a freeze/lockup or unusual battery drain.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I wonder what they’re looking to update with this firmware. It is very unfortunate that the R3, R5/R6, and R7 all use totally different autofocus systems now…and no, the R7 does not have the R3 AF system, it has a bastardized version with deliberately less intuitive controls. Give everything the R3 AF system. It’s damn near perfect and I hate using any other camera because of it!

Hopefully we find the R5 gets a nice update to disable the movie record limit. I doubt there is anything they can do now to further improve overheating performance, but it would be cool to see the gauge system from the R7 - if that’s even possible.

Upvote 0