Canon EOS R3 and Canon EOS R5 to receive new firmware next week

Good news, NOPE!! It stores regular complete RAW files that open normally. I think what we’re seeing here is just Canon exploiting the buffer size and allowing it to be completely filled up rapidly while not even attempting to write to the card. Then you sit and wait for it to offload all the information from the buffer to your card. The file folder system unfortunately required DPP to work and it’s done so in a really poor way, IMO. But it also kept everything organized. And, as someone who rates all their images in camera and adds a star to the best shot of each car, I didn’t find it that cumbersome other than having to extract the RAW file in camera in a separate step. I believe it could have been better managed. I don’t know if this is necessarily better? But it does allow me to dump my cards and import without any issues seen on the RAW Burst Mode. It does mean that you are adding 50 images into your card sequence on playback and that seems more annoying than organized folders of each individual sequence that I could open and unpack, so to speak.

Of note, there is NOT a pre-shot buffer to this mode. It doesn’t make very much sense unless it was to make sure the viewfinder remains useful?
I'm thinking this is a precursor to the pre-capture. I'm thinking it was not ready to push out just yet, but is coming, at least to the R3.

On the 195fps mode it is interesting and much more useful that you can limit the number of shots in the burst. Something like a 10-20 shot burst that is cleared from the buffer in less than a couple of seconds makes it much more useable, IMO. That is of course, if it has a customizable button available to toggle it on and off. We'll see what people come up with.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
On the 195fps mode it is interesting and much more useful that you can limit the number of shots in the burst. Something like a 10-20 shot burst that is cleared from the buffer in less than a couple of seconds makes it much more useable, IMO. That is of course, if it has a customizable button available to toggle it on and off. We'll see what people come up with.
That’s what I’m thinking. Since it’s a drive mode, it could be assigned in a C# mode to easily toggle in/out of that mode.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Then it is something in the settings. Most likely back button focusing. I have no issues with R5 (2 years) or R3 and when a friend of mine that had freezing issues on R5 loaded my settings into his the issues stopped. He was using BBF and I am not.
You should contact Canon and let them know you have solved this issue, since their engineers have been unable to do so,

Upvote 0
That’s what I’m thinking. Since it’s a drive mode, it could be assigned in a C# mode to easily toggle in/out of that mode.
I was thinking about it a little more and think this would be a near perfect use of the "Recall Shooting Function" button. The option allows you to choose a lot of parameters and set them to a single button and you autofocus with it and all the attached settings. That way you can shoot normal up until you know you want the speed and use that button to shoot at the high speeds, and then release it and you are back to normal again.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I only would know why Canon don’t fix the Electronic shutter limitation to Max 0,5 seconds on the R5.
It is annoying not to be allowed to use the focus bracketing for sunsets on the R5 while it is possible with R7 and even R10 (obviously possible also in the R3).
Canon rarely, if ever, backports common sense updates. The R5-II will likely get the fix.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0