Canon EOS R3 Body $3399 (Reg $4999)

KT

Feb 2, 2012
That's a pretty decent discount on a well-specced body that still holds its own two years into the release cycle.

Competition might heat-up early next year for 24 MP sports bodies with the release of the Nikon Z6 Mark III and Sony A9 III, though neither of these are direct competitors to the R3, at least price-wise. Too bad it sold out quickly but I expect more shipments are on the way, doubt there are still many photographers willing to pay full-retail at this point so expect many discounts to come.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Ironically, I sold my second R3 around July/August to clear the way for an R1. Now the R1 is likely imminent for the next 2-3 months and the R3 is selling for less than I sold mine for!?! Has me asking if I really need an R1? haha MUST RESIST!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Competition might heat-up early next year for 24 MP sports bodies with the release of the Nikon Z6 Mark III and Sony A9 III, though neither of these are direct competitors to the R3, at least price-wise
I do not think it was a coincidence that the a9 III was launched with the original launch price of the R3 in many regions.
I expect the R3 II to cost around the same.
I am not sure whether the Z6 III will compete with the R6 II, R3, or be somewhere in between.

Upvote 0
That's a pretty decent discount on a well-specced body that still holds its own two years into the release cycle.

Competition might heat-up early next year for 24 MP sports bodies with the release of the Nikon Z6 Mark III and Sony A9 III, though neither of these are direct competitors to the R3, at least price-wise. Too bad it sold out quickly but I expect more shipments are on the way, doubt there are still many photographers willing to pay full-retail at this point so expect many discounts to come.
If the Nikon Z6miii is anything like its predecessors, it is not going to compete with the R3(mkii) or the A9mkiii. It is competing with the R8

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
Anyone had any experience (good or bad) with Canon's refurbished bodies like what's on offer here? I'm worried about getting a body with 10K shutter actuations.

I purchased many refurbished lenses over the years (4-6) through Canon's online portal and found them all to be 100% brand new without a sign of use, you are just missing two things: 1) Original retail box, 2) The extended warranty you will get with full-price retail purchase. I think it's just Canon offloading some of their old stock without having to go through the hassle of Mail-in rebates and the need to honor long-warranties. Hope the same is true with bodies as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
I do not think it was a coincidence that the a9 III was launched with the original launch price of the R3 in many regions.
I expect the R3 II to cost around the same.
I am not sure whether the Z6 III will compete with the R6 II, R3, or be somewhere in between.
Canon knows very well that with all the hyperbole Sony is showering the first global shutter camera with, they won't be able to compete at such price point using a 2 year old body, no matter how capable and well-respected the R3 is. Hence the price cut down to $4K. Instead, they will bracket the A9 III $6K price-point with the R5 Mark II and R1 and let the consumer choose what works for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Anyone had any experience (good or bad) with Canon's refurbished bodies like what's on offer here? I'm worried about getting a body with 10K shutter actuations.

Only good.
Same! I've purchased quite a few refurbs, and they have all been like-new, with very few shutter actuations. My R5 I'm using now was purchased refurbished, and it performs perfectly.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Same! I've purchased quite a few refurbs, and they have all been like-new, with very few shutter actuations. My R5 I'm using now was purchased refurbished, and it performs perfectly.
Thank you for the feedback. I have never purchased refurbished lenses or cameras from Canon, but there is always time for a first. For $4000 a R3 body is a very good value. I know I am nitpicking here, but my only critiques of the R3 are 1) mismatched card slots, 2) metering not linked to AF point in spot metering, 3) wished it had longer (deeper) buffer at 30 fps.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
If the Nikon Z6miii is anything like its predecessors, it is not going to compete with the R3(mkii) or the A9mkiii. It is competing with the R8
Uh, no. The Z6 is Nikon's version of the R6. Unfortunately (for Nikon), the Z6 missed the R6 mark by a wide margin. I expect the Z6 iii to outperform the R6ii in many if not most respects. Leapfrogging the competition is a fact of life. Since it doesn't have a stacked sensor, it will be no closer to the R3 in performance than any other non-stacked-sensor camera. However, if it gets as close as does the R5 (if not closer), than it will be a worthy alternative to stacked-sensor cameras like the R3 and Z8 (if you don't mind the lower resolution).
Do you mean Z5 II?
The Z5 competed with the RP.
The Z6 II competed with the R6.
You're going in the wrong direction. The Z5 is a stripped down budget camera, and there are no rumors or expectation that there will be a version II of the Z5. Rather, as you indicate, the Z6iii will compete against the R6ii.

Upvote 0

I purchased many refurbished lenses over the years (4-6) through Canon's online portal and found them all to be 100% brand new without a sign of use, you are just missing two things: 1) Original retail box, 2) The extended warranty you will get with full-price retail purchase. I think it's just Canon offloading some of their old stock without having to go through the hassle of Mail-in rebates and the need to honor long-warranties. Hope the same is true with bodies as well.
I bought the R7 from Canon refurbed last summer. It was in a very good condition and according to the "shutter count" app it had taken less than 1.000 until then. I figured the count must had been somewhere around 250 shots because when my file numbers were at 1.200 the shutter count switched to "less than 2.000". I was curious so I checked after every little shooting :)

The camera itself was in great condition, as good as new! I was only missing the original retail box.

I ended selling the camera to my father-in-law to be (he absolutely loves it!). I want to stick with one camera, having to choose which one to take drove me crazy and therefore I will upgrade from the R in the near future.

Upvote 0
Uh, no. The Z6 is Nikon's version of the R6. Unfortunately (for Nikon), the Z6 missed the R6 mark by a wide margin. I expect the Z6 iii to outperform the R6ii in many if not most respects. Leapfrogging the competition is a fact of life. Since it doesn't have a stacked sensor, it will be no closer to the R3 in performance than any other non-stacked-sensor camera. However, if it gets as close as does the R5 (if not closer), than it will be a worthy alternative to stacked-sensor cameras like the R3 and Z8 (if you don't mind the lower resolution).
Do you mean Z5 II?
The Z5 competed with the RP.
The Z6 II competed with the R6.
Yeah, I got it wrong and messed up. I don´t follow Nikon as much and I always thought the Z6 is no competition for the R6 (at least not all for the R6mkii). Therefore, I figured it would compete with the R8 when really it is the Z5.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Yeah, I got it wrong and messed up. I don´t follow Nikon as much and I always thought the Z6 is no competition for the R6 (at least not all for the R6mkii). Therefore, I figured it would compete with the R8 when really it is the Z5.
Well it's a real pain keeping up with multiple companies' offerings. I use both the R5 and Nikon Z9. I was hoping that Nikon would release a high-rez, high-performing camera in a compact body (that would be Z7iii, which with major performance improvements would compete against the R5) that would allow me to settle on one system. However, people in the Nikon forums have me convinced that the Z8 supplants Nikon's Z7 line and is in fact Nikon's answer to the R5). So, I'm trying to convince myself that my second body doesn't need to be high-rez and that a 24MP Z6iii will suffice. I'd love to go the other direction and get an Canon R5ii as my second body, but I've purchased a couple of Nikon exotics, so I'm not abandoning Nikon anytime soon.

Upvote 0