Canon EOS R5 and a new Speedlite appear for certification

B77

Feb 16, 2020
It's going to compete directly with the a7Riv in a shrinking ILC market. From a business standpoint it wouldn't make a lot of sense to price it significantly higher. Could be $4k max if it uses CFexpress and the 8k video isn't severely gimped in some way. But any higher than that and it's getting into pro body territory. I doubt Canon wants people to consider buying the a9ii instead. They want people to have little doubt in their minds that they should buy the R5 over the a7Riv.

Let's just say we all want low price but we know Canon is greedy and that they'll price their camera as high as they can.
BlackMagic Pocket camera is $1.200 and shoots in up to 6K...and we've all seen where Canon priced their 4K 30fps with 1.7 crop...
Honestly, I am just waiting to see what ridiculous prices Canon comes out with and then I am buying something from competition, which has more reasonable prices...

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Let's just say we all want low price but we know Canon is greedy and that they'll price their camera as high as they can.
Not all.

I want this camera to be not cheap; if I buy it, I want it to serve me for the next decade. But Canon may see it as a means of selling its expensive RF glass (like they do with printers and toner cartridges). Hopefully, that means that Canon will just lower its gross margin expectations on the camera bodies sold. It will be worse if Canon instead tries to produce this camera from cheaper parts.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
BlackMagic Pocket camera is $1.200 and shoots in up to 6K...and we've all seen where Canon priced their 4K 30fps with 1.7 crop...
Honestly, I am just waiting to see what ridiculous prices Canon comes out with and then I am buying something from competition, which has more reasonable prices...
Greedy is as greedy does. I always wonder who is more greedy. Is it the manufacturer who is a good steward of capital so that the company can provide long term jobs to its employees and a fair return on investment to shareholders? Or is it the consumer who demands everything at the lowest possible cost no matter what the ramifications to the producers or even the environment? I'll have to say that the trophy for being the most greedy lies squarely in the lap of a larger portion of consumers who don't care that one product or another is made by slave labor under oppressive political regimes. Sadly, that sometimes includes myself, but at least I don't try to act pure and blame it on somebody else.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I am just waiting to see what ridiculous prices Canon comes out with and then I am buying something from competition, which has more reasonable prices...

Why wait? Seeing as you're already convinced Canon's prices will be ridiculous - 'the competition' awaits your patronage.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Blackmagic 6k is S35... cannot shoot stills, garbage AF and has no continuous AF... NONE, no image stabilization at all, no hot shoe, crap battery life, a huge weirdly shaped body, plastic construction, zero weather resistance... ( I could go on) and is priced at $2,500... there is nothing stopping you from getting the Pocket 6K, if that’s your preference. Personally I will happily pay $5k+ for this body if the specs and performance are there. The only reason I didn’t buy the 1DXMK3 was hopes that Canon would release a serious professional body.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Blackmagic 6k is S35... cannot shoot stills, garbage AF and has no continuous AF... NONE, no image stabilization at all, no hot shoe, crap battery life, a huge weirdly shaped body, plastic construction, zero weather resistance... ( I could go on) and is priced at $2,500... there is nothing stopping you from getting the Pocket 6K, if that’s your preference. Personally I will happily pay $5k+ for this body if the specs and performance are there. The only reason I didn’t buy the 1DXMK3 was hopes that Canon would release a serious professional body.

I'm hoping for mid $3K range. I bought a thong and I'm taking pole-dancing lessons.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
Bernie, is that you?
Seriously though, didn't you take even one business class in college? Initial adopters are pretty much depended upon to pay premium pricing to support the tremendous R&D costs that must have gone into the R5.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I'm hoping for mid $3K range. I bought a thong and I'm taking pole-dancing lessons.
Actually. Give it till black Monday or Christmas. 1Dx III sells at about 10% under RRP in Australia already. So.. release in July with orders fulfilled in August. Skip Sept, October. Let market and weather to cool down a bit. Place order come Black Friday / cyber Monday :) My plan anyway ..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
This R5 better be good and razor sharp...
This speedlite better be fast and long lasting on a fantastic li-ion battery. Or Canon will be falling further down the list of pro photographers..

And last but not least, and this is the hardest part for the Japanese, make it affordable this time. So don’t make the R5 body a whopping 6000 euro’s and the speedlite 900.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
Dream on Bert... and keep dancing. This R5 will be 4900-5900 of course. Canon choose to raise prices even higher, now Sony took a piece of the pie. But that will drive even more people into competition hands I’m affraid. If Canon does not charge reasonable prices I am switching too.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Dream on Bert... and keep dancing. This R5 will be 4900-5900 of course. Canon choose to raise prices even higher, now Sony took a piece of the pie. But that will drive even more people into competition hands I’m affraid. If Canon does not charge reasonable prices I am switching too.

Me has begun thinking that trolling you might be doing.

Upvote 0
Many that own 5Dmk4 and mk3 and slowly transitioning to mirrorless

I bought an R to hopefully replace my 5D4, but it just wasn't enough. I kept both, it is nice having two FF bodies again. If the R5 can replace the 5D4, I think I'll be quite content with the R & R5 combo.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Why wait? I recommend you go buy the Competition now, then pat yourself on the back for saving all that dough. Not only that, but you'll be able to use the gear as soon as you get it - more shooting opportunities - especially now that Spring is almost here, at least in the Northern Hemisphere.

Upvote 0