Canon EOS R5 and a new Speedlite appear for certification

Greedy is as greedy does. I always wonder who is more greedy. Is it the manufacturer who is a good steward of capital so that the company can provide long term jobs to its employees and a fair return on investment to shareholders? Or is it the consumer who demands everything at the lowest possible cost no matter what the ramifications to the producers or even the environment? I'll have to say that the trophy for being the most greedy lies squarely in the lap of a larger portion of consumers who don't care that one product or another is made by slave labor under oppressive political regimes. Sadly, that sometimes includes myself, but at least I don't try to act pure and blame it on somebody else.
Thank you! That’s precisely why I’ll never use Godox gear.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dream on Bert... and keep dancing. This R5 will be 4900-5900 of course. Canon choose to raise prices even higher, now Sony took a piece of the pie. But that will drive even more people into competition hands I’m affraid. If Canon does not charge reasonable prices I am switching too.

Bye then!

Upvote 0
Not all.

That’s my hope as well
I think canon has always been the greatest lens maker
But the last few years they have been behind on bodies and the core semiconductors to stay ahead. Maybe the future will be good enough bodies but world beating lenses to keep the marketshare?
If so then the R makes sense. It wasn’t world class but they lowered the price and improved it. It’s actually a good deal at the Xmas prices. In keeping with that then the R5 and R6 won’t be ripoffs.

I want this camera to be not cheap; if I buy it, I want it to serve me for the next decade. But Canon may see it as a means of selling its expensive RF glass (like they do with printers and toner cartridges). Hopefully, that means that Canon will just lower its gross margin expectations on the camera bodies sold. It will be worse if Canon instead tries to produce this camera from cheaper parts.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Actually. Give it till black Monday or Christmas. 1Dx III sells at about 10% under RRP in Australia already. So.. release in July with orders fulfilled in August. Skip Sept, October. Let market and weather to cool down a bit. Place order come Black Friday / cyber Monday :) My plan anyway ..

Just my opinion, but I think you'll be terribly disappointed.

The demand for the R5 appears to far exceed demand for the 1D X Mark III. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still backordered during the 2020 holiday season. Particularly if Covid-19 keeps parts production shut down in China for very long. The earliest holiday deals for the R5 will be at the end of 2021.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018

The demand for the R5 appears to far exceed demand for the 1D X Mark III. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still backordered during the 2020 holiday season. Particularly if Covid-19 keeps parts production shut down in China for very long. The earliest holiday deals for the R5 will be at the end of 2021.
Of course: all depending upon actual hands-on reviews etc. But, assuming it does anything like what it says it will, it will fly off the shelves faster than Canon's (likely to be stretched) supply chain can make them. In that case, yes - well into 2021.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Particularly if Covid-19 keeps parts production shut down in China for very long. The earliest holiday deals for the R5 will be at the end of 2021...

That depends. Of course we don't know what impact, if any Covid-19 will have. But, if it does disrupt the supply chain and hurt sales, both manufacturers and dealers will be scrambling to hit their revenue targets and make up for lost sales before the end of the year. The R-5 may not be impacted, but I could see other models and lenses getting discounted.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

I know. Was playing a fool it is going to be in a short supply for a loooooong time. I am not selling my 5D IV bodies until then.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
You mean like ProFoto A1X. They came up with the design.
Actually - no. Round heads have been around for decades since Honeywell first showed it,
and in fact the Godox delivers the light that the Profoto promises - but fails to deliver.

The Profoto has fresnel grooves that are too prominent and deep,
which projects the shape of the linear flash tube onto the subject.

The Godox has finer and better laid out fresnel grooves and thus does
what Profoto can't. From a lighting perspective, the Godox is by far
the better device.

Oh, and you get four of them for the price of one single Profoto.

Upvote 0
Let's face it: Canon can't compete with Sony when it comes to mirrorless and 4K video. The EOS R is certainly great, but it's useless for videographers. So Canon now has to introduce a product that is at least as good as the Sony A7R III if they want to keep their customers. I think the R5 will be expensive, but a price over $3,500 would just not make sense to me. Who would buy that when there are competing products that are just as good and still cost less? I don't think you can justify that with 8K, nobody needs that. According to current knowledge, the R5 can't even do more than the A7 III (apart from 8K), so why the high price expectation? All I want is a mirrorless full frame camera that can shoot 4K without crop factor, at a reasonable price. So Canon better be clever or I'm switching to Sony.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Let's face it: Canon can't compete with Sony when it comes to mirrorless and 4K video. The EOS R is certainly great, but it's useless for videographers. So Canon now has to introduce a product that is at least as good as the Sony A7R III if they want to keep their customers. I think the R5 will be expensive, but a price over $3,500 would just not make sense to me. Who would buy that when there are competing products that are just as good and still cost less? I don't think you can justify that with 8K, nobody needs that. According to current knowledge, the R5 can't even do more than the A7 III (apart from 8K), so why the high price expectation? All I want is a mirrorless full frame camera that can shoot 4K without crop factor, at a reasonable price. So Canon better be clever or I'm switching to Sony.
lets face it: according to current knowledge, your post is a pure, undiluted non-sensual drivel. here you have.

Upvote 0
lets face it: according to current knowledge, your post is a pure, undiluted non-sensual drivel. here you have.
Well, I don't agree with that but I respect your opinion. Could you please at least explain why you think I'm wrong? Because I thought this was a respectable community where you can discuss with others on a professional basis. If I wanted to get shit thrown at me I would've commented on 9gag.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Well, I don't agree with that but I respect your opinion. Could you please at least explain why you think I'm wrong? Because I thought this was a respectable community where you can discuss with others on a professional basis. If I wanted to get shit thrown at me I would've commented on 9gag.
Well, you look like a troll, walk like a troll and quack like a troll. What did you expect?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

++++ Let's face it: Canon can't compete with Sony when it comes to mirrorless and 4K video.
A.M.: completely wrong. "lets face it" a strong statement but completely unsupported. what exactly I have to face here?
++++ I think the R5 will be expensive, but a price over $3,500 would just not make sense to me
A.M.: it makes perfect sense for someone who understands this market. you obviously do not.

+++ Who would buy that when there are competing products that are just as good and still cost less? I don't think you can justify that with 8K, nobody needs that.

A.M: there is so much wrong in this statement and the entire post, that I am seriously doubting that I can direct you to understanding.

++++So Canon better be clever or I'm switching to Sony.

A.M.: Canon do not care so do I.

Upvote 0
++++ Let's face it: Canon can't compete with Sony when it comes to mirrorless and 4K video.
A.M.: completely wrong. "lets face it" a strong statement but completely unsupported. what exactly I have to face here?
++++ I think the R5 will be expensive, but a price over $3,500 would just not make sense to me
A.M.: it makes perfect sense for someone who understands this market. you obviously do not.

+++ Who would buy that when there are competing products that are just as good and still cost less? I don't think you can justify that with 8K, nobody needs that.

A.M: there is so much wrong in this statement and the entire post, that I am seriously doubting that I can direct you to understanding.

++++So Canon better be clever or I'm switching to Sony.

A.M.: Canon do not care so do I.
Look, I just wanted to share my opinion, which is quite unpopular as it seems. I'm far from pro but not a beginner either. I've always focused more on taking pictures rather than comparing specs. I've been shooting with a 70D for the last 6 years and now I'm considering an upgrade. I was just wondering what exactly would justify a price that high. Have you got any enlightment for me?

completely wrong. "lets face it" a strong statement but completely unsupported. what exactly I have to face here?
Why is that unsupported? The EOS R is the only thing that is comparable to the Sony counterparts I mentioned. But it has a crop at 4K, no IBIS, no dual SD etc. You know all that stuff. When it comes to video, there's no reason to choose the R over a Sony. That's what I meant with Canon can't compete. Now with the R5 they can, specs-wise. But if they make it double the price they push forward into a completely different, smaller target group. They can do that of course, but in that case I think it would make sense to launch a cheaper model (R6?) along with the R5 to cover the needs of those who have a smaller budget.

• Haha
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Price? Anyone? I've already started collecting aluminum cans and bottles. At my age I can't sell my bod..
He he, I am with you, Bert, maybe we can sell the rare earth and heavy metal elements collected in our bodies over decades to the battery industry :p On Monday a guy in my fav camera shop told me he heard rumors going up to 7 k$ for the R5, but he wasn't yet sure. Pretty sure that Canon will want not only a few k$ for 8k vid;)

Btw, seriously, I am still amazed that they managed to introduce 8k video plus IBIS. This means that they designed a very efficient sensor and found a smart way to cool this sensor, given the weaker heat conduction links that come with IBIS. The new RF 24-105mm F4-7.1 and RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 zooms show that Canon trusts the low light performance of their new sensors, which promises a substantially lower noise floor, too. Those zooms start a new dark age of lens design, but they are light and compact, of course. Looks like Canon people really woke up and recognized that Sony is their new rival, no longer Nikon.

Upvote 0