Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming soon, RAW light to be added? [CR2]

Is there a firmware for R6 as well with similar fixes/addons or only R5? Also, can anyone explain to me what is Cinema RAW light? I am a noob but eager to learn more. Just recently learned bRAW is Black Magic Raw :))

It is a light (smaller in size) version of a RAW file. And because it is uncompressed, the camera's processor doesn't have to compress each frame meaning that even thought it'll take more space to store those files, the camera should have less trouble with over heating issues because it doesn't compress each frame. This not only could resolve overheating problems, but will add billions of colors to the file for you to grade in post (assuming is 12 bit like the C200 for example). Savvy?

Upvote 0
I could but I won’t. H265 and soon to be h266 are part of the heat problem
They likely are based on SW, but I've not seen any statistical analysis on how much / well hardware implementations help...

Since the R5 supports h264 and h265, then it would be interesting to know why some modes are h264 which is cheaper in effort than h265 (and still supports 10bit and 4:2:2). h265 creates smaller files for the same quality, thus lower i/o and provide improved capacity, but I'd love to know if the higher i/o from h264 is offset by the lower encode effort / cost.

Upvote 0
Hmm, so it appears Canon's internal recording is a bit ahead of the dedicated external recorders, even with its limitations. I imagine the folks building external recorders won't be rolling them out until they solve the overheating issues so you can have unlimited recording. It will be interesting to see how long that takes and what measures they have to take.
Yep, I think to offer what they decided to offer required a lot of design / trade-offs / component iterations till they got to where they are with the R5/R6.

Upvote 0

zonefocus

CR Pro
Jul 6, 2020
I don't expect any firmware update to fix the heat limits on the R5. Everyone is talking about this like it needs a “fix”. I think this stems from some of the theories floating around that the camera is not getting hot. However, reports are that the cards are getting hot.

Has anyone considered that releasing the camera with these limits is not an oversight? There is no way that Canons testing missed the overheat and recovery times. Think about the camera in the lab; they record some video to run a test. Then do a little more. They would have seen the reduced recovery times on day one of testing. This would have been reported up the line and then a management decision made.

I don't buy the argument it is to trick anyone into buying more expensive gear. The full-time full-length production filmmaker is not banking on an 80/20 hybrid camera replacing their cinema cameras.

So my theory is that The limits are there to protect hardware around the cards. Those limits are there intentionally. To me, it seems like they made a trade-off between using high-speed cards to accommodate high frame rate stills, and recording / cool downtimes. As a stills camera that would have been fine.

They reasoned that a wedding pro/documentarian/editorial pro/long-form journo/ hybrid portrait 5-series shooter, who has to turn around a bucket load of editing is not going to want to deal with HOURS of hi-res footage. Not to mention terabytes of video data from shooting 8k or oversampled 4K all damn day. Companies who do that have entire production lines with tons of gear and don't bank on a mirrorless DSLR to be the primary workhorse!

I think the Big C reasoned that the 8k video primarily would be used sparingly to compliment an 80% stills 5-series shooter.

But then, on a different floor, someone in the marketeering team, working to a different beat and living in a social media-driven bubble, or worse still, a state of delusion, decided to go hell for leather on spruiking the 8k video, and the rest is history.

The Engineers ran for cover. And here we are.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I don't expect any firmware update to fix the heat limits on the R5. Everyone is talking about this like it needs a “fix”. I think this stems from some of the theories floating around that the camera is not getting hot. However, reports are that the cards are getting hot.

Has anyone considered that releasing the camera with these limits is not an oversight? There is no way that Canons testing missed the overheat and recovery times. Think about the camera in the lab; they record some video to run a test. Then do a little more. They would have seen the reduced recovery times on day one of testing. This would have been reported up the line and then a management decision made.

I don't buy the argument it is to trick anyone into buying more expensive gear. The full-time full-length production filmmaker is not banking on an 80/20 hybrid camera replacing their cinema cameras.

So my theory is that The limits are there to protect hardware around the cards. Those limits are there intentionally. To me, it seems like they made a trade-off between using high-speed cards to accommodate high frame rate stills, and recording / cool downtimes. As a stills camera that would have been fine.

They reasoned that a wedding pro/documentarian/editorial pro/long-form journo/ hybrid portrait 5-series shooter, who has to turn around a bucket load of editing is not going to want to deal with HOURS of hi-res footage. Not to mention terabytes of video data from shooting 8k or oversampled 4K all damn day. Companies who do that have entire production lines with tons of gear and don't bank on a mirrorless DSLR to be the primary workhorse!

I think the Big C reasoned that the 8k video primarily would be used sparingly to compliment an 80% stills 5-series shooter.

But then, on a different floor, someone in the marketeering team, working to a different beat and living in a social media-driven bubble, or worse still, a state of delusion, decided to go hell for leather on spruiking the 8k video, and the rest is history.

The Engineers ran for cover. And here we are.

Would you say that the following is a bit more accurate statement? :)

But then, on a different floor, a former member of the marketing team, working to a different beat and living in a social media-driven bubble, or worse still, a state of delusion, decided to go hell for leather on spruiking the 8k video, and the rest is history.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012

Has anyone considered that releasing the camera with these limits is not an oversight?

The debate seems to be more over whether its for nefarious purposes or not, rather than it being an oversight as such.

My impression with my R5 was that the card didn't seem to be particularly hot when some limits were happening, and that cooling efforts to the camera or the card seemed to make little or no difference to recovery times.

Which doesn't mean that it cant be due to card temps sometimes, only that there seem to be times when it isnt, which is somewhat puzzling.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Osama

CR Pro
Jul 5, 2020
If the CFexpress is the problem, why the CFexpress card does not overheat when shooting in 4K 30p non HQ mode? I shot for hours in this mode to both CF and SD cards without an issue. Both HQ and non HQ modes got the same bit rate as per the manual.

Besides, both the CFexpress and SD cards return to room temperature in a matter of minutes. The camera, however, doesn't seem to be affected; it doesn't care even if I inserted a new, unused card. It won't work.

I believe that this theory is misleading.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If the CFexpress is the problem, why the CFexpress card does not overheat when shooting in 4K 30p non HQ mode? I shot for hours in this mode to both CF and SD cards without an issue. Both HQ and non HQ modes got the same bit rate as per the manual.

Besides, both the CFexpress and SD cards return to room temperature in a matter of minutes. The camera, however, doesn't seem to be affected; it doesn't care even if I inserted a new, unused card. It won't work.

I believe that this theory is misleading.

I don't think the pre-overheating warning is being triggered by a single source. If you record 4k and have the digic downsample and use CFe the warning triggers in 25 minutes. The big questions are:
  1. What are the inputs for the algorithm that triggers the warning?
  2. What are the inputs for the algorithm that provides the estimate during recovery?
Not having cards in the slots could indeed slow down the heat build up or it could just break the algo. Or both :) There's a report on fredmiranda that putting the R5 in a freezer makes it recover after completely after 25 minutes instead of 2 hours, so the notion of it being "a simple timer" doesn't seem to hold up either.

I think Canon put in very conservative limits and making them less conservative will be a political decision for Canon and will never approach the actual limit of the hardware. You just know that someone will try filming 8k all-I for hours around noon in Death Valley and scream on twitter about actual overheating causing actual damage if Canon pulls a Sony.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I give up, I tried to upload some images I took today, my 1st attempt at using the R5 & high FPS on our trainee guide dog free running. Apparently the image is too large for the server, it's only about 21mb so not massive. I dont want to reduce the size as it defeats the object. Anyone know how to upload larger files?

Anywhooo, I was pleased with the results, at F2.8, 2000sec, ISO 200 , 70mm using the RF 70-200mm, the eyes were pin sharp and this is a black Labrador with very dark, almost black eyes. I tried this with the R and couldn't get any images in focus. Result!! :D

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
They need to focus on the website... its ridiculous that the website is down for more than a week and they dont care

Never seen a website down for so long on current digital world for even smaller companies... dont know if we can trust them when they cant even take care of their own website

What exactly do they need to do to get it back up?

Upvote 0
I give up, I tried to upload some images I took today, my 1st attempt at using the R5 & high FPS on our trainee guide dog free running. Apparently the image is too large for the server, it's only about 21mb so not massive. I dont want to reduce the size as it defeats the object. Anyone know how to upload larger files?

Anywhooo, I was pleased with the results, at F2.8, 2000sec, ISO 200 , 70mm using the RF 70-200mm, the eyes were pin sharp and this is a black Labrador with very dark, almost black eyes. I tried this with the R and couldn't get any images in focus. Result!! :D

Im currently waiting for my RF 70-200 to turn up.
Its gonna be great going by what you and others have said! :D

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
They likely are based on SW, but I've not seen any statistical analysis on how much / well hardware implementations help...

Since the R5 supports h264 and h265, then it would be interesting to know why some modes are h264 which is cheaper in effort than h265 (and still supports 10bit and 4:2:2). h265 creates smaller files for the same quality, thus lower i/o and provide improved capacity, but I'd love to know if the higher i/o from h264 is offset by the lower encode effort / cost.

H265 was designed to achieve about half the data rate of H264 with similar apparent quality.

Real-time SW encoding of 8K30 or 4K120 is currently not feasible for anything but the most powerful CPUs (with 225W+ power envelope)
Hence, it is safe to assume that microprocessors such as DIGIC X (estimated 5-10W power envelope based on battery run-time) need and have HW encoding.

Upvote 0