Canon EOS R5 Firmware v2.0.0 Released

I don\'t know why somebody should be dissatified with the AF of the R5. It\'s just marvellous. If I compare my R5 with my R6 Mark II in terms of AF, the differences in terms of speed and accuracy are not so different. Everybody should keep in mind that the R5 showed up mid 2020, means on technology of 2019 and before. You can\'t seriously expect that Canon can keep up to date the R5 for an eternity, regarding the fact that the new AI technologies are evolving every felt second. My guess is that the hardware can simply not support the features of newer cameras. (Machine learning etc.)
I agree that we need to wait and see what the tech. specs. of the R5 Mark II are to decide if it worth an upgrade.

Upvote 0
I don\'t know why somebody should be dissatified with the AF of the R5. It\'s just marvellous. If I compare my R5 with my R6 Mark II in terms of AF, the differences in terms of speed and accuracy are not so different. Everybody should keep in mind that the R5 showed up mid 2020, means on technology of 2019 and before. You can\'t seriously expect that Canon can keep up to date the R5 for an eternity, regarding the fact that the new AI technologies are evolving every felt second. My guess is that the hardware can simply not support the features of newer cameras. (Machine learning etc.)
I agree that we need to wait and see what the tech. specs. of the R5 Mark II are to decide if it worth an upgrade.

I'm under the impression that a significant number of EOS-1 users have not made the migration to the mirrorless R system. They will not accept the EVF, is a common complaint. If this is so, I don't think "machine learning" will do the trick to sway them into the fold. Perhaps a more amazing EVF would entice?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm under the impression that a significant number of EOS-1 users have not made the migration to the mirrorless R system. They will not accept the EVF, is a common complaint. If this is so, I don't think "machine learning" will do the trick to sway them into the fold. Perhaps a more amazing EVF would entice?
I'm not sure the EVF is the actual reason. If you're a 1-series user, what mirrorless 1-series body would you buy? The R3 is an excellent camera, but Canon explicitly said it's not 1-series, and that bears out in my experience with it. Several of the customizations I used on my 1D X are not available on the R3 (e.g., I can't pick specific frame rates). Sometimes it just cannot focus on subjects, and I have to help it out by turning the manual focus ring to get the camera in the ballpark, or select a different feature to achieve focus. The R3 also came out just one year after the 1D X III.

As far as the EVF goes, the R3's is already very good, and includes an OVF-simulation mode. It's never going to be an OVF, but I suspect many people complaining about EVFs are basing their comparison on older or lower-end EVFs, e.g. they may have tried an EOS R.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Snapster

EOS R5
Nov 28, 2022
My guess is that they are not implementing improvements in eyeAF for the simple reason that they don't want to - it will be an added feature to make the R5ii seem more of an upgrade. I find the AF fine anyway, but I don't photo dogs.
That would be my guess as well.

The R5 very likely has a more powerful version of the DigicX processor than say R8 which already has the improved AF. I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to but then people wouldn't upgrade to R5ii.

Upvote 0

The R5 very likely has a more powerful version of the DigicX processor than say R8 which already has the improved AF. I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to but then people wouldn't upgrade to R5ii.
As we all know, Nikon is much better (than Canon) about improving their existing camera features through firmware updates. There was a rumor on here a while back about a future Canon camera paid subscription service. I wonder if Canon might be thinking about adding feature-improving firmware updates through a paid subscription? I might be interested in that, though it would annoy me a little if Canon charged for something Nikon includes.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
It has overheated before to where I have to turn it off. Now I have to shoot with live view always off, which is a bummer.
Sorry, I should have clarified...do you have to shut it down while taking photos? There was no cure for overheating while shooting video, just extended recording times.
The camera will still pop up a heat warning when taking photos to let you know that you might be in trouble if you shoot video.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I should have clarified...do you have to shut it down while taking photos? There was no cure for overheating while shooting video, just extended recording times.
The camera will still pop up a heat warning when taking photos to let you know that you might be in trouble if you shoot video.
Yes it has overheated to where I have to shut it down while taking photos.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

It’s the other way around: the R6II and R8 have a newer, more power efficient version of the digic X, which is why they can do higher resolution downsampling for video, for a much longer time on the same battery.
I suspect the ‘auto’ subject detect takes advantage of that as well.

Upvote 0
I don't think updating the animal eye AF algorithms was such a big ask. Considering how random it still is and how poorly it tracks a moving dog even when the eyes and face are easy to detect. I wish they would have improved it just for the sake of completion with what is probably the last firmware update for the R5.
Have you tried experimenting with different “case scenarios” in the settings and servo mode? Dogs move around erratically. Unless your having issues with a still dog then I don’t know.

Upvote 0
Canon should really try to put a bit more effort in Firmware updates.
Things I would've liked to see improved:
- 1/16000 electronic shutter.
- Autofocus tracking algorithm improvements (update to R7 / R6II algorithms)
- Highres mode with RAW output.
- System optimizations for less power drain (Nokia could do it 20 years ago, so can you Canon)

Upvote 0
Did they test the camera by themselves? Are you sure it's not defective?
No they didn't. Honestly I have learned to deal with it (although annoying) by changing my shooting style. I will say mine is a very low serial number camera as I ordered as soon as it was available, so the chances of it being defective seem high.

Upvote 0