Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
It needs to be in the 3500 mark Canadian. Camera sales are crashing for Nikon and Sony. An expensive camera at this time, when few can get jobs, and it will be another nail in the coffin of all three companies.
Relax Dave. Canon isn't going anywhere near a grave. The others? Time will tell.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's what 180° shutter angle means.

Yes! From a Cinema point of view I do know what Shutter angle is === I HAVE SHOT Arriflex 435 and Arriflex 765 ___ FILM ____ cameras !!!

But most people have NO IDEA what a rotating shutter blade looks like. The ONLY reason I do because I've shot lots of film myself on 8 mm, 16 mm, 35 mm and 65/70 mm stock -- The parent company STILL has a few 8 mm, 16 mm and 35 mm Arriflex 435 ES cameras we've kept from the old days (they are in PRISTINE ready-to-use configuration!) I'm still waiting to buy a Arriflex 765 65/70mm film camera once one becomes available!

With digital cameras, it's all about ISO sensor sensitivity and Shutter SPEED! Actual Shutter Angle in Degrees Open does NOT come into play here!

---

HOWEVER .... On a purely mechanical, somebody COULD CNC or 3D-print an actual rotating shutter blade with the requisite shutter angles setup for typical Hollywood use on ANY DSLR, Mirrorless and/or Digital Cinema Camera! It CAN be done!

It would be an interesting project to do for a Hollywood cinema enthusiast!

A rotating shutter blade system for an 8k R5 Mirrorless camera? --- A Cool Idea In My Book !!!!

V

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
Not angry at all. Just pointing out that you are in an ever increasing minority if you're still not having to pay sales tax for online purchases. Most of us in the U.S. now are being charged sales tax at places such as amazon, B&H, and Adorama.
I’m tempted to get a mailbox in Oregon. Costs to ship it forward but a big white lens with a $1000 sales tax bill can justify it.
I’m happy to have found Fred Miranda and the agreeable buyers and sellers there. Got my RF50f1.2 and RF24-70f2.8 that way for ~2/3 of retail. R5 will be BH Payboo.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
By emphasizing “In my experience...” did I not implicitly say that I recognize that everyone has their own needs, YMMV, one size does not fit all?

Yet you were replying to a comment that started with, "If you're also considering adding other bodies that use the more ubiquitous LP-E6/LP-E6N/LP-E6x..." so I'm not seeing how what you said was relevant to that context, unless it was to "defend" the choice you made about the camera you chose for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The Appalachians run from Nova Scotia to Alabama. There are rocks in both Scotland and the Lesser Atlas Mountains of Morocco that formed in the same time and place as certain rocks in the Appalachians.

Yes, there are. And the mountains that are now in Morocco broke off from what now ends at Nova Scotia, and the mountains now in Scotland were past the ones now in Morocco. That's almost the opposite end of a 1,400 miles/2,250 km long chain as it now exists in North America from what is now part of North Carolina. There's also a short section that was between what is now in Nova Scotia and what is now in Morocco that is under the Atlantic Ocean somewhere.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There are a lot of beautiful waterfalls in the area along US 64 especially.

I was at Looking Glass Falls just out of Brevard for about an hour this past summer. I chose to take the scenic route from South Carolina to Tennessee. I came out of Greenville, SC on U.S. 276 and took it all the way to Waynesville before cutting across some local roads to connect with I-40 east of the Pigeon River Gorge. I would have also stopped just up the road at Sliding Rock, which I last visited in 1986, if the parking lot had not already been full and closed before noon.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I'm in N. Ga and can be in NC in less than 5 minutes from where I live now. I've been in Western NC and N GA for 32 years now and this area is truly a nature photographers paradise (and then some!). One doesn't have to go far to capture a majestic landscape image (right out my back door).
I work a lot in the Highlands/Cashiers area but live about 70 miles west from there. Beautiful country!

While working out of western NC in the 1990s I made the trip Down U.S. 23 out of NC into GA several times on my way down to Athens, GA. I've always wanted to go back to the area around Tallulah Falls with time to stop and spend a day or two there.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I’m tempted to get a mailbox in Oregon. Costs to ship it forward but a big white lens with a $1000 sales tax bill can justify it.
I’m happy to have found Fred Miranda and the agreeable buyers and sellers there. Got my RF50f1.2 and RF24-70f2.8 that way for ~2/3 of retail. R5 will be BH Payboo.

Yeah. I've got a college friend who now lives in Delaware. But he's a photography enthusiast who also shoots Canon and if I had anything shipped to his house to forward to me he'd just keep it! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :cry:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Relax Dave. Canon isn't going anywhere near a grave. The others? Time will tell.

For them to survive they're going to have to be willing to downsize their manufacturing workforce in Japan significantly. That's something not easy to do for Japanese companies, who typically keep employees for life. In the long term it will also mean there will be a danger that their most knowledgeable workers will be aging and approaching retirement at the same time with no younger apprentices coming in to whom they can pass down their wisdom.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
The RP with fast primes outside is really not that great even if it does not go over the 1/4000 limit.
The EFCS makes the rendering harsher at high shutter speeds with uneven illumination, using HSS will cause banding and there is no way to turn it off.
How long have you owned your RP and which “fast primes” have you used on it? Could you post a photo that you made that illustrates the “not that great” issue that you raised? Many thanks!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
How long have you owned your RP and which “fast primes” have you used on it? Could you post a photo that you made that illustrates the “not that great” issue that you raised? Many thanks!
I have owned it for about three months alongside the EOS R, which was the one I've kept and it behaves exactly the same way, except you can turn EFCS off (or use electronic shutter, which is also next to useless on the RP) and avoid the issues altogether (and ND filter also works, but it is an even bigger hassle). I have more than 10 fast primes, mainly vintage ones, but I saw it with the RF 28-70/2 as well.

Of course RP owners will say it is not a big deal, so it is personal paste (but I don't see a point in spending a lot on a fast RF lens to compromise its rendering on the RP) examples are out there, it depends on many factors but in actual use there will be a situation where it will be distracting.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Mirrorless cameras such as the EOS R, RP, and R5 still have mechanical shutters.

The shutter curtain transit times for FF cameras in the top classes are around 2.5 milliseconds. It's the difference between the first curtain starting to open and the second curtain starting to close that are only 1/8000 second or 0.125 milliseconds apart. But the distance between the first and second curtain is only a narrow slit about 1.2mm wide as they both transit the sensor.

(The video below is of an APS-C 7D, so the sensor height is only 14.9mm, which makes the slit for 1/8000 with a 2.5ms transit time calculate out to 0.75mm, but the way the two shutter curtains chase each other across the frame at exposure times shorter than X-sync is the same.)

Thank you very much for posting that. Much clearer now.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I was at Looking Glass Falls just out of Brevard for about an hour this past summer. I chose to take the scenic route from South Carolina to Tennessee. I came out of Greenville, SC on U.S. 276 and took it all the way to Waynesville before cutting across some local roads to connect with I-40 east of the Pigeon River Gorge. I would have also stopped just up the road at Sliding Rock, which I last visited in 1986, if the parking lot had not already been full and closed before noon.

The Cradle of Forestry in America is on 276 between Brevard and Waynesville. I haven't been there in 25 years, but I recall that it was really interesting. If you ever get back that way, I suggest you check it out.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes, I was born and grew up in Shelby. My father worked in a textile mill. A great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was a colonel at the battle of Kings Mountain. My Lee ancestor fought at Cowpens and Guilford Courthouse. I lived in Kings Mountain 30 years ago. Before I retired, I lived in Cramerton, just east of Gastonia. Except for grad school in Texas, I’ve always lived in Piedmont NC. I now live in Davidson, a small college town just north of Charlotte.

The same ancestors (a father and son, I'm not certain off the top of my head how many "greats" there are between they and I) that fought at King's Mountain also were at Cowpens. Not sure about Guilford Courthouse. Several of the younger one had sons and grandsons, one of whom is my direct ancestor, that were living in what is now Sevier County Tennessee and served under John Cocke and then Andy Jackson in the Creek War and the War of 1812 (which, ironically, didn't really get going that far south as direct conflict between Americans and British until after the Creek War ended in mid-1814).

My childhood friend pastors a church on Redbud Drive on the east side of Gastonia that's not too far from Cramerton. He was also a staff chaplain at CaroMont Regional in Gastonia for a number of years. His wife's parents live in Belmont, or at least they still did back in the 1990s. Her father was one of the air traffic controllers that got fired for going on strike back in the 1980s. He was working the tower at Charlotte-Douglas at the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I have several old friends who live in Gastonia. When I go see any of them, I take Redbud Drive to go to their homes. The road changes names three times before I get there.

I realize that all this must be fascinating to people who come to the thread to find out how much they are likely to pay for a new camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
I have owned it for about three months alongside the EOS R, which was the one I've kept and it behaves exactly the same way, except you can turn EFCS off (or use electronic shutter, which is also next to useless on the RP) and avoid the issues altogether (and ND filter also works, but it is an even bigger hassle). I have more than 10 fast primes, mainly vintage ones, but I saw it with the RF 28-70/2 as well.

Of course RP owners will say it is not a big deal, so it is personal paste
[:)] (but I don't see a point in spending a lot on a fast RF lens to compromise its rendering on the RP) examples are out there, it depends on many factors but in actual use there will be a situation where it will be distracting.
I am in no way dissing the problem that you describe as not a big deal, but you can understand why someone like me who has never seen it and who had never heard of it, would be unlikely to give it much thought. My only primes are my macro lenses and I shoot stopped down. My macros can’t use filters, as they have Ring Lite mounting flanges attached to the filter threads. Agree that NDs are a pain in the neck. I own a couple, have not used an ND since maybe the early 1970’s. As for primes vs. zooms, I dropped out of that discussion in 1980. No one ever looked at one of my photos and said “you should have used a prime.”

Upvote 0
This camera seems like it is never coming and why are they so secretive? You want to sell it or not? Is it finished or not?

I'm not sure how many people are in the market for a camera right now. Perhaps waiting or pushing things back might be better to hopefully see how things go. A lot of working pros have nothing to shoot right now, nobody is travelling and a global supply chain in semiconductors and tech are at risk from two world leaders throwing sand at each other in the children's sandbox.

Better times ahead hopefully.. I'm waiting for the R5 and Sony's response to it so the bitter rivalry can start back up soon.. :p

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I'm not sure how many people are in the market for a camera right now. Perhaps waiting or pushing things back might be better to hopefully see how things go. A lot of working pros have nothing to shoot right now, nobody is travelling and a global supply chain in semiconductors and tech are at risk from two world leaders throwing sand at each other in the children's sandbox.

Better times ahead hopefully.. I'm waiting for the R5 and Sony's response to it so the bitter rivalry can start back up soon.. :p
Promote now so when people get the money and business back rolling, they know what they want.

Upvote 0