Canon EOS R5 launch price will be below $4000 USD [CR3]

Transit time for Tokyo or Yokohama to Long Beach was typically 11 days before the Covid shutdown. Allow a bit less than a week on each end for getting them processed in/out of the port facility and on/off the ship. Then it's all up to how long it takes to clear customs.
Freight leadtimes are all over the place at the moment with Covid-19. Customs are separate of course.

Upvote 0
The EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II was $2,499 USD at launch in March of 2010 but dropped to $2,299 by late summer. It went back up to $2,499 for most of 2011 and again from mid-2013 to mid-2014. It didn't drop to $2,099 (without a temporary promotional incentive) until about five years after introduction in mid-2015.

If you got your prices from the Wikipedia article, the prices of the discontinued lenses all appear to be their official MSRP (before promotional discounts) when they were replaced, not when they were introduced. The prices for the lenses still in the catalog also appear to be their current MSRP (before promotional "instant rebates") and not their introductory prices.
I used the Wikipedia for most part and I did not really verify the launch price separately, hence I said a 'quick chart'. Then I assume the 2020 inflation adjusted price should be much higher. But now I'm too lazy to go back and fix it. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
The [Appalachian] chain actually runs up through present day Scotland and into Norway. The Atlantic Rift sliced right through the range.
There are relatively small areas of Appalachian rocks in Scotland, but the chain does not “run through” Scotland. “In the nineteen-forties, a professor at Delft had written a book called The Pulse of the Earth...
‘The whole ocean is virtually swept clean (replaced by new mantle material) every three hundred to four hundred million years,‘ he wrote, not then suspecting that ocean crust is actually consumed in half that time.” —Annals of the Former World, Book 1, by John McPhee. In fact, the Appalachians formed about 480 million years ago, while the oldest oceanic crust is about 200 million y.o., so that the Atlantic floor has been swept clean at least twice in the age of the Appalachians. Furthermore, the spreading Atlantic crust created (is still creating) new rock from the mantle, pushing apart land masses on either side of the mid-ocean ridge. The new crust did/does not leave in place or cover existing geological features. As for Norway, could you refer me to a source on the claim that Appalachian rocks exist there? I was unaware of that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
The α9 also tops out at 10 fps when using a mechanical shutter. 20 FPS is only available with electronic shutter (and the rolling shutter effect) with a fairly short list of Sony lenses. A few other Sony lenses reduce the max frame rate to around 15 fps with electronic shutter. The rest limit the camera to around 10 fps, even when using electronic shutter or when using adapted non-Sony lenses.
I'm not sure how your comment responded to my comment. Nonetheless, the limits of the A9 series that you mention along with the relatively low maximum resolution is the reason that I'm considering the R5. Frankly, 10fps mechanical is sufficient for my purposes. I love the blackout-free continuous shooting (not sure if the R5 is going to get this feature). However, I want a camera that can shoot at 10fps or faster mechanical and has at least 36MP of resolution. The A7r cameras come close to this mechanical rate but do not provide the higher electronic continuous rate.

So, waiting to see what the R5 has to offer. If it's significantly better than the A7Riii, I'll consider adding it to my kit. If not, then sticking with Sony is not a bad option.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
There are relatively small areas of Appalachian rocks in Scotland, but the chain does not “run through” Scotland. “In the nineteen-forties, a professor at Delft had written a book called The Pulse of the Earth...
‘The whole ocean is virtually swept clean (replaced by new mantle material) every three hundred to four hundred million years,‘ he wrote, not then suspecting that ocean crust is actually consumed in half that time.” —Annals of the Former World, Book 1, by John McPhee. In fact, the Appalachians formed about 480 million years ago, while the oldest oceanic crust is about 200 million y.o., so that the Atlantic floor has been swept clean at least twice in the age of the Appalachians. Furthermore, the spreading Atlantic crust created (is still creating) new rock from the mantle, pushing apart land masses on either side of the mid-ocean ridge. The new crust did/does not leave in place or cover existing geological features. As for Norway, could you refer me to a source on the claim that Appalachian rocks exist there? I was unaware of that.

I suppose I should have said "ran through." The same uplift that caused the Appalachians brought on the Scottish Highlands and the Atlas Mountains (I appear to have been wrong about Norway; if so, then so was the professor who made the assertion in a lecture I watched). The ranges were at one time connected.

Clearly they aren't connected now, and if that's how you read my statement "runs through" then my apologies. It can't be so, of course because as I did say, the mid Atlantic rift sliced the sucker in two. The floor of the ocean, as you correctly note, was created later as the rift spread (it's mostly if not entirely closer in time to us than it is to the original uplift of the Appalachians) and thus couldn't possibly have those mountains on it at all. I knew this; I just conveyed my meaning very poorly.

The Scandinavian range in Norway appears to be of much later origin, so I stand corrected insofar as that goes.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I suppose I should have said "ran through." The same uplift that caused the Appalachians brought on the Scottish Highlands and the Atlas Mountains (I appear to have been wrong about Norway; if so, then so was the professor who made the assertion in a lecture I watched). The ranges were at one time connected.
A college classmate of mine did a series of programs over the years for the UNC public TV stations called "Exploring North Carolina." Their various channels will rerun the programs, and last night one showed his program on clay. The state is covered in clay formed by the eroding mountains. Much of the Piedmont is covered in red mud. Bricks and pottery have been resultant products. Seagrove near the center of the state is widely known for its potters, and the episode began with showing photos of one of the second or third generation of the pioneering families. His grandson was interviewed on the show. He still is an active potter. When I lived in that area, I got to know some of the families. The Uwharrie mountains there were a coastal range that towered to 20,000 feet. Of course they have weathered down to 1100 feet or less and are nowhere near the coast because of the coastal plain from the erosions and isostasy. According to Wikipedia, they were formed "approximately 500 million years ago by accretion along the Gondwanan tectonic plate." So they are older than the Appalachians, and of course much, much older than the Rockies. The NC gold rush started in that area.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Gold in North Carolina:

Here is a half eagle ($5; originally an "eagle" was defined to be ten dollars, one hundred dimes, a thousand cents, ten thousand mills) minted in Charlotte; note the "C" above the date.

http://images.davidlawrence.com/productimagesCDN/430xxx/430154_o.jpg

There was a similar mint in Dahlonega, Georgia. Both shut down at the beginning of the Civil War.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Gold in North Carolina:

Here is a half eagle ($5; originally an "eagle" was defined to be ten dollars, one hundred dimes, a thousand cents, ten thousand mills) minted in Charlotte; note the "C" above the date.

http://images.davidlawrence.com/productimagesCDN/430xxx/430154_o.jpg

There was a similar mint in Dahlonega, Georgia. Both shut down at the beginning of the Civil War.
The Charlotte mint was moved out into a residential area and turned into a museum. It is still part of a larger complex, and now there is another branch downtown. The federal courthouse sits on the old mint site.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I'm not sure how your comment responded to my comment. Nonetheless, the limits of the A9 series that you mention along with the relatively low maximum resolution is the reason that I'm considering the R5. Frankly, 10fps mechanical is sufficient for my purposes. I love the blackout-free continuous shooting (not sure if the R5 is going to get this feature). However, I want a camera that can shoot at 10fps or faster mechanical and has at least 36MP of resolution. The A7r cameras come close to this mechanical rate but do not provide the higher electronic continuous rate.

So, waiting to see what the R5 has to offer. If it's significantly better than the A7Riii, I'll consider adding it to my kit. If not, then sticking with Sony is not a bad option.

My main purpose was to observe that with many E-mount and all adapted lenses the α9 is no faster than the fastest of the α7 series. It's only really fast with electronic shutter and a handful of the most expensive E-mount lenses.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Freight leadtimes are all over the place at the moment with Covid-19. Customs are separate of course.

With the coronavirus they're not even sailing on a seven or eight day interval any more. So port arrival to departure can take longer as well. But the actual "sea voyage" is still about 11 days once the ship sails.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
One will have to shoot the video with the intention of only using it for frame grabs if they wish to use a "sports rated" exposure time. At 1/1000 second video will look very choppy. If they use "video rated" exposure times/180° shutter angle, then frame grabs will suffer immensely from subject motion blur.
Just a brief visit here, no time: that's exactly what I meant. I'd shoot short video sequences with 1/1000 s or so for frame grabbing, not for use as a video.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
I love the blackout-free continuous shooting (not sure if the R5 is going to get this feature).

The R already has this feature, but it only works with the RF lenses with the High speed display enabled or when using electronic mode. I suspect this will be the same with the R5 unfortunately.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
“Missing” must be judged relative to one’s needs. For my purposes, the only thing missing from the Eos RP is GPS, and that’s easily enough fixed in the Lightroom Maps module. For me, the RP is a superb camera to take into the field and make research-grade macrophotos.
Your comment reminds me with a reality check that one's gear perspective may be different from the next, based on your particular needs. That's why it is so nice to have choices. In the end, if a model works for you, that's what you go with and if it's priced low as well, it'll put a smile on your face too. Speaking from experience, I know that, at one time or another, I have bought the latest and greatest, darned be the price, only to find out later that I didn't use half of the features found, then discovering that I a lower priced model would have worked for me. Thanks for that reminder.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
There are a lot of beautiful waterfalls in the area along US 64 especially.
Completely concur. Prior to my moving to S.C., I lived in the Blue Ridge, Ga. area of the N. Ga. Mtns, for about 5 yrs. While there, I was one of the Benton MacKaye Trail maintainers. The Olympic whitewater area on Hwy 64, located about 5 mi west of Ducktown, Tn, is a photographer's dream paradise and some of my trail maintenance trips took us through the gorge located there. Absolutely breathtaking area of E. Tn and I so miss being able to hike and photograph there. During the summer months, there is an explosion of activity, as you will have to share the area with rafters and kayakers coming from all over to experience this paradise found on the Ocoee River. In the winter months, you will frequently find yourself the only one there, as you embrace the solitude. For those of you who have visited or the fortunate ones still living there, no further explanation is necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

May 22, 2016
My main purpose was to observe that with many E-mount and all adapted lenses the α9 is no faster than the fastest of the α7 series. It's only really fast with electronic shutter and a handful of the most expensive E-mount lenses.

Calling 22 lenses "only a handful" is--to put it mildly--disingenuous.

Regardless, so, you're saying that the A9 has limitations. Does that make it any less fast? Your comment is akin to criticizing a sports car that goes 0-60 in 3.5sec for knocks and pings and a rough ride when you don't put premium fuel in it, or more to the point, that a Nikon d500 only provides unlimited continuous shooting when you use an XQD card rather than a SD card.

Maximum performance often requires matching and appropriate inputs/accessories. Looking at the list of 20fps supported lens, I see every Sony lens I have or would want to use for sports/action photography listed including some that I wouldn't use like the 12-24 (why I'd want fast continuous for an ultrawide is beyond me, but it's on the list), and the cheap 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8. The only Sony I have that's not on the list is the 55mm 1.8, no big lost. It appears that only older " economy" lenses are missing like Sony's f/4 16-35 , 24-70, 70-200, and 70-300 lenses. For any photographer likely to want/need 20fps, there are 85, 100,135, 400, and 600 primes, and 16-35, 24-70, 24-105 (comparable in price to other 24-105), 100-400, and 200-600 zooms. You consider this selection problematic? Let me know what Canon offers in RF mount that matches this selection at the same or lower price levels. You can't.

Thus, yes, the A9 is a speed camera. It does have some limitations, but for most circumstances, it's about as fast as it gets. As I mentioned, the only reason I haven't purchased the A9 and am considering the R5 is that I want the resolution that the R5 offers as well as the performance. However, your post is helping to crystalize my thinking. It will be years and years before Canon offers the selection that Sony currently offers, and the prices of RF lenses are mind-boggling. The only "sports" lens I have in EF mount is the 100-400. For me, Canon will need to announce a compelling sports lens (like a 500 or 600mm DO) in RF for me to jump.

Upvote 0

Billybob

May 22, 2016
The R already has this feature, but it only works with the RF lenses with the High speed display enabled or when using electronic mode. I suspect this will be the same with the R5 unfortunately.
That's similar to Sony and to be expected. The difference is that Sony has almost 2-dozen lenses compatible with this feature, and Canon is playing catchup.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
That's similar to Sony and to be expected. The difference is that Sony has almost 2-dozen lenses compatible with this feature, and Canon is playing catchup.

I barely notice in practise to be honest, and love that I can use all my old lenses so easily, but Im sure it will be very important to some.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Canon Australia have this page up - Coming Soon

https://www.canon.com.au/cameras/eos-r5

Nothing there that wasn't already revealed in the two announcements made by Canon in January and March. I know not if that page has been up that long in Australia, but at least some of the other Canon regionals have had similar pages up since shortly after the March announcement that was originally scheduled for the NAB trade show.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Calling 22 lenses "only a handful" is--to put it mildly--disingenuous.

Regardless, so, you're saying that the A9 has limitations. Does that make it any less fast? Your comment is akin to criticizing a sports car that goes 0-60 in 3.5sec for knocks and pings and a rough ride when you don't put premium fuel in it, or more to the point, that a Nikon d500 only provides unlimited continuous shooting when you use an XQD card rather than a SD card.

Maximum performance often requires matching and appropriate inputs/accessories. Looking at the list of 20fps supported lens, I see every Sony lens I have or would want to use for sports/action photography listed including some that I wouldn't use like the 12-24 (why I'd want fast continuous for an ultrawide is beyond me, but it's on the list), and the cheap 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8. The only Sony I have that's not on the list is the 55mm 1.8, no big lost. It appears that only older " economy" lenses are missing like Sony's f/4 16-35 , 24-70, 70-200, and 70-300 lenses. For any photographer likely to want/need 20fps, there are 85, 100,135, 400, and 600 primes, and 16-35, 24-70, 24-105 (comparable in price to other 24-105), 100-400, and 200-600 zooms. You consider this selection problematic? Let me know what Canon offers in RF mount that matches this selection at the same or lower price levels. You can't.

Thus, yes, the A9 is a speed camera. It does have some limitations, but for most circumstances, it's about as fast as it gets. As I mentioned, the only reason I haven't purchased the A9 and am considering the R5 is that I want the resolution that the R5 offers as well as the performance. However, your post is helping to crystalize my thinking. It will be years and years before Canon offers the selection that Sony currently offers, and the prices of RF lenses are mind-boggling. The only "sports" lens I have in EF mount is the 100-400. For me, Canon will need to announce a compelling sports lens (like a 500 or 600mm DO) in RF for me to jump.

Nice to know they've expanded the list. The last time I looked there were only ten or twelve on it for shooting in AF-C mode. There are still an awful lot of asterisks peppered all over that page.

In the interest of fairness I should also correct an error I made in my previous comment. With mechanical shutter, the maximum frame rate of the α9 is 5 fps, not 10.

Last edited:
Upvote 0