Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

Personally I am glad it won't push it to crazy and 99% of time useless extra MP which limits your lens of choice (especially most vintage lens won't resolve anywhere near that density) and eats up your storage + takes forever to process. 30-45MP is a sweet spot for anyone not printing huge billboard printouts.

What I will prefer are:
1) AF capability at R6 II level
2) no overheating
3) minimal rolling shutter
4) great ISO (or global shutter)
5) if some of the above don't come true, sell it CHEAPER.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Rumors of Fuji revving the GFX100s to a Mk2 version might start to look tempting to me though, if Canon's not moving past 45mpix.
I’m curious, why does it have to be a GFX100s mk2 to get your interest ? The GFX series has gone through quite a few iterations now and is pretty accomplished.

Upvote 0
I’m curious, why does it have to be a GFX100s mk2 to get your interest ? The GFX series has gone through quite a few iterations now and is pretty accomplished.
Honestly, I looked at the GFX series as well, but my biggest gripe is limited wide/fast lens options, limited long(ish) lens options, and price. I don't see any of those getting fixed by a GFX 100s mk2, except maybe price. I've seen some worrisome anecdotal comments on the weather sealing for the GFX 100s though which would still give me some pause. But if that lens catalogue extended a bit and the price came down a bit in the new body, I'd probably take another look there too.

Upvote 0
The GFX100ii is too expensive... the s looks great, but the rumors are that it'll be upgraded in the next 3 or 4 months, so why not wait?

Fuji shaved a lot of weight and cost off in the GFX100 i to ii transition too, so that may also happen to the s.

Way back in film days I used to shoot Hasselblad, and also the fixed lens Fuji GSW670iii 'Texas Leica' - so I'm happy enough with just a couple of primes and a very high resolution body. Cropping can replace the flexibility of zooms to some extent.

I'd probably start off with the GF 30 and 55, and go from there.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
I would hate >45MP. I never need it and I take lots of pictures so please, no. Besides, 45MP is best for video as it translates to 8K without resampling.

To me it doesn't matter what Canon does. My old R5 bodies are getting 4 years old so I need replacements sooner or later. That will automatically be R5 whatever the specs. Just add in some ai functionality like following a subject or ai-depth recognition where the camera decides the minimum aperture to keep multiple people in focus. Personally I would overhaul the UI after so many years with some fresh idea's... take fi the C1, C2, C3 memory settings. There is no easy way to find out what they do, so make it possible to add labels in the English language or something. And please, do something about the little things. Like when I forget to re-insert the CFX card the camera shoots jpg only... a disaster!

But yeah. Will buy anyway. Even with a subscription plan for ProRes Clog-2. Who wants to pay 100,- extra for ProRes, RAW video, Clog-2? Not many people. So I'm fine with a 9,99 monthly subscription for these film features.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
I suspect it would be something along the lines of a built-in SIM with a subscription cellular plan providing connectivity and cloud upload, not some photographic feature it needs to check for a license before use.
That's not happening. Register the camera's serial number to the website, connect the camera to the computer and download your paid software upgrade.
My take on this is going forward the free upgrades will only include bug fixes. If you want all new FEATURES you'll have to pay for them.

Upvote 0
So why built a good quality lenses but stick with low resolution ? I think it's 2024 and we should move to 60 MP.
Most lenses cant resolve 60mp, unless you only care for the center or stop down. We can see it on the sony side. Recently the 300gm came out and lots of people owning 400 f2.8 and 600 f4 lenses said the 300mm f2.8 is noticably sharper -> those 13k lenses didnt take full advantage of the 50/60mp sensors.

Unless there are technological advantsments in lens production, better (sharper) lenses will be more expensive to produce. Thats why camera manufacturers have to see what the needs of their broadest target audience are.

It seems most people are fine with 45 mp. Going for 60 mp would mean that they have to produce the lenses to a higher standard, meaning they would be more expensive. If most people dont need 60 mp photos, then the price increase seems unattractive for them. Why increase the price for the entire lens lineup, if only very few people actually need the sharper lenses?

Its a balancing act.

That said, its just a CR2 Rumor, so nothing is set into stone. Could still be 60mp.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
That's not happening. Register the camera's serial number to the website, connect the camera to the computer and download your paid software upgrade.
My take on this is going forward the free upgrades will only include bug fixes. If you want all new FEATURES you'll have to pay for them.
That's distinct from a subscription.

Upvote 0
If it’s a BSI stacked 45MP sensor and we see like 60fps burst shooting with it I’d probably take this over the R1 (assuming it comes in at 30MP). With the Z8 I feel like Canon has to make this a stacked sensor? Who knows though it is Canon we’re talking about and they’ve made plenty of strange choices in the past…

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Most lenses cant resolve 60mp, unless you only care for the center or stop down. […]
We already know how all lenses perform with 82MP FF equivalent in the center APS-C area, thanks to the M6II and R7.

And sharpness will never get worse with increasing resolution, colour definition also gets a boost. That is with looking at the complete image, not zoomed to 1:1 on your monitor.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Ok I hear everyone about the subscription thing. The way it’s been done, I don’t think it could be worth it. But what if you could buy the R5 mark II for like $1500 as long as you subscribe for two years at $100 a month? And then with that you get meaningful updates and a direct community connection with canon to workshop new features? Mix that in with significant discounts on products and upgrades and that’s the only way I’d be interested in a subscription.

• Wow
Upvote 0
We already know how all lenses perform with 82MP FF equivalent in the center APS-C area, thanks to the M6II and R7.

And sharpness will never get worse with increasing resolution, colour definition also gets a boost. That is with looking at the complete image, not zoomed to 1:1 on your monitor.
Thats true. I agree with you.

Im the first person in favor for high mp and i personally do hope for canon to go 60mp. Just naming reasons they might not go for that.

It seems us high mp lovers are the minority and most people would be more happy with faster readout, better video specs (no crop etc.) and more fps.
All that gets harder with 60 mp.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0