Canon EOS R5 Mark II to arrive before EOS R1? [CR2]

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
All of the f/2.8 lenses he's listed are zooms. Only the 85mm f/1.2 is a prime.

The difference is that to get the range of 24-105mm in a single zoom he has to settle for f/4 and lower image quality than what the 24-70/2.8 + the 70-200/2.8 can do.
Thanks for your comments. When I travel for example to exotic destination including tourist excursion in a local market, or to attend a local ceremony, or just to take photos of the amazing landscape in front of me, ...... I have 2 gear options:

- Option 1: To keep my current gear items (1 Canon EOS R5 body and various RF lenses) and to buy a second EOS R5 body, so I can use for example on 1 EOS R5 the RF 15-35 f2,8 and on the second EOS R5 camera body to use the RF 24-70mm f2,8.

- Option 2: To buy a multi-purpose 24-105mm f/4 Canon lens and to use it with my current and only one R5 Camera body. The advantage for this is maybe to save a bit of money (compared to buy a second R5 body), and travel a more lightweight. The BIG disadvantage for me, considering what I have already invested on various RF wide open (f/2,8) lenses, is to keep most of my high quality lenses at home, "suffer" a bit about lower images quality and because it is a F4 vs F2.8 lens, not as bright....

In conclusion, which option do you think is better for me?

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
All of the f/2.8 lenses he's listed are zooms. Only the 85mm f/1.2 is a prime.

The difference is that to get the range of 24-105mm in a single zoom he has to settle for f/4 and lower image quality than what the 24-70/2.8 + the 70-200/2.8 can do.
Yes I mistook his definition of "primes" without actually looking at the lenses mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Thanks for your comments. When I travel for example to exotic destination including tourist excursion in a local market, or to attend a local ceremony, or just to take photos of the amazing landscape in front of me, ...... I have 2 gear options:

- Option 1: To keep my current gear items (1 Canon EOS R5 body and various RF lenses) and to buy a second EOS R5 body, so I can use for example on 1 EOS R5 the RF 15-35 f2,8 and on the second EOS R5 camera body to use the RF 24-70mm f2,8.

- Option 2: To buy a multi-purpose 24-105mm f/4 Canon lens and to use it with my current and only one R5 Camera body. The advantage for this is maybe to save a bit of money (compared to buy a second R5 body), and travel a more lightweight. The BIG disadvantage for me, considering what I have already invested on various RF wide open (f/2,8) lenses, is to keep most of my high quality lenses at home, "suffer" a bit about lower images quality and because it is a F4 vs F2.8 lens, not as bright....

Only you can answer how much the better image quality obtained by using two bodies with higher quality lenses is worth to you compared to the convenience and lower expense of using a single, less capable lens with one body.

But by the time you buy an RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, you're already two-thirds of the way to the cost of an R6 as a second body at current prices. [At least at current U.S. prices.]

And while the R6 is no R5 - or even no R6 Mark II which still costs less than twice what an RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS does but also has some AF capabilities that even the R5 does not - I've often found that with wider angle lenses the difference between my 30 MP 5D Mark IV (also with better low light performance than the 5D Mark III) and my older 22MP 5D Mark III isn't nearly as noticeable as it is with longer focal length lenses. For my eye the better lens performance of even the original EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L compared to the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS is a greater difference than that of one generation of 5-series cameras.

Based on what I've seen of the RF 24-70/2.8 vs. the RF 24-105/4 I'd say the difference between those two lenses is at least about the same. Unless you're enlarging pretty big or cropping significantly, the image quality of the R6 is pretty close to the R5. It doesn't sound like you're shooting much fast action or active wildlife where the faster handling speed of the R5 compared to the R6 begins to really set it apart. It also goes without saying that if you decide on a 24-105/4 as a single lens solution you're totally giving up 15-24mm angles of view.

More often than not I choose to use two bodies (5D4 + 7D2 or 5D3 - depending on how much light) with two higher quality zooms (EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L + EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II) or even two primes (e.g. EF 35mm f/2 IS + EF 135mm f/2 L) than a single body with a lower quality zoom (EF 24-105mm f/4 IS). The only time I use the 24-105/4 any more is if I'm shooting from an unstable platform, such as a temporary outdoor stage vibrating with music, where the IS that the EF 24-70/4 does not have comes in handy. And even then it's usually as part of a two body setup. [And the RF 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS has IS plus both the R5 and R6 have IBIS, so the RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS has no advantage at all there.]

But that's what I would do in the situations I shoot.

It may or may not be the best choice for you. Only you can decide that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As @Michael Clark says, only you can decide what’s better for you. There’s very little to distinguish among L-series lenses and even many non-L lenses in terms of image quality at typical outputs today. If you share digital images or print smaller than A2 (~16x24”) then the lens-based IQ is likely irrelevant. For example, at 24mm, you’d be hard-pressed to see a difference between the RF 24-70/2.8L, RF 24-105/4L and RF 24/1.8 STM.

Given that, I’d suggest that you base decisions on lens parameters other than IQ, which mainly leaves zoom range and max aperture. There are certainly times when one stop matters, such as indoor events. That’s why I just bought a 100-300/2.8. But personally, I don’t typically run into that while traveling.

For example, on my upcoming summer family trip, my walkaround kit will be the R8, RF 14-35/4L, RF 24-105/4L, and RF 24/1.8 (the fast prime for inside museums, because whereas 1 stop doesn’t really matter, 3 stops does). I’ll also bring the TS-E 17/4 and probably the RF 100-400 non-L along with a tripod, for going out solo at golden/blue hour.

Upvote 0