Canon EOS R5 Mark II will ship in June or July

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
To be fair, Canon has had problems keeping up with demand. They released 4 desirable FF lenses in 2023: 100-300/2.8, 24-105/2.8 Z, 200-800, and 10-20/4. I just checked and as of right now, none of them are in stock at any of Canon USA Online Store, B&H, or Adorama.
Frustrating here in the USA, but checking Canon Australia, looks like these lenses are available. Maybe it's USA stores and consumers having the problem? Between infrastructure and economic woes, maybe our market is just not a priority now? Also, our European friends frequently point out that lenses seem to be priced lower in the USA...

Another Japanese company, Honda, still sells lawnmowers in most countries, but have discontinued shipping new ones to the USA, citing regulatory headaches. (California was a big market for them, but gas mowers are now banned there...)

I'm simply suggesting that Canon might be putting out enough lenses, though not a surplus, and the USA is not a top priority at this time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Frustrating here in the USA, but checking Canon Australia, looks like these lenses are available. Maybe it's USA stores and consumers having the problem? Between infrastructure and economic woes, maybe our market is just not a priority now? Also, our European friends frequently point out that lenses seem to be priced lower in the USA...

Another Japanese company, Honda, still sells lawnmowers in most countries, but have discontinued shipping new ones to the USA, citing regulatory headaches. (California was a big market for them, but gas mowers are now banned there...)

I'm simply suggesting that Canon might be putting out enough lenses, though not a surplus, and the USA is not a top priority at this time.
Maybe Australia got a larger initial allocation that they couldn't sell through -- because it seems to me to be quite inefficient to have lenses sitting on shelves in Australia while people are on waiting lists in the USA. Also, when I checked MapCamera Japan (one of the largest camera retailers there), those 4 lenses are also backordered. Is Canon's home market also not a priority?

It also seems to be a uniquely Canon (or at least Canon USA) problem. I checked other manufacturer's lenses released in 2023 -- the Nikon 135/1.8 Plena, the Sony 300/2.8 GM and 16-35 GM II, and the Sigma 14/1.4 and 70-200/2.8 DG DN -- and they are all in stock at B&H. The only other one not in stock is the Nikon 180-600.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Maybe Australia got a larger initial allocation that they couldn't sell through -- because it seems to me to be quite inefficient to have lenses sitting on shelves in Australia while people are on waiting lists in the USA. Also, when I checked MapCamera Japan (one of the largest camera retailers there), those 4 lenses are also backordered. Is Canon's home market also not a priority?

It also seems to be a uniquely Canon (or at least Canon USA) problem. I checked other manufacturer's lenses released in 2023 -- the Nikon 135/1.8 Plena, the Sony 300/2.8 GM and 16-35 GM II, and the Sigma 14/1.4 and 70-200/2.8 DG DN -- and they are all in stock at B&H. The only other one not in stock is the Nikon 180-600.
1) Checked your mapcamera, and that agrees with you. However, I searched for Japan's largest photo shops, used Google Translate, and found both the 10-20mm and the 100-300mm in stock, with the latter being "one per customer" on several sites.

e.g.: https://www.fujiya-camera.co.jp/shop/g/gC4549292220582/

2) I'm not surprised that Nikon and Sony are in stock, as I've suspected demand for them isn't as great as youtube influencers would have us believe.

3) The two points above are not scientific, nor are they proof of anything other than different Googling and perspectives produce different results.

I'm sad to even suspect that US customers are at the back of the line, but I do believe profit margins are slimmer here than elsewhere.

I'm offering a different perspective from one that states Canon is uniquely deficient in keeping up with demand.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
1) Checked your mapcamera, and that agrees with you. However, I searched for Japan's largest photo shops, used Google Translate, and found both the 10-20mm and the 100-300mm in stock, with the latter being "one per customer" on several sites.

e.g.: https://www.fujiya-camera.co.jp/shop/g/gC4549292220582/
Actually the 100-300mm and 10-20mm is backordered on that site too, it is just that because the backorder notification
Back order
is presented as an image, so Google Translate failed to translate it :p

I'm sad to even suspect that US customers are at the back of the line, but I do believe profit margins are slimmer here than elsewhere.
I think the margins are slimmer in Japan. The pre-tax MSRP of the 24-105Z is 405,000 JPY (2,470 USD) compared to 2,999 USD in the USA. The same lens in Europe has a pre-tax MSRP of ~3024 EUR, or 3284 USD, but this is partly offset by the 2 year warranty in Europe vs 1 year in USA, so I don't think the margins are substantially higher in Europe.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Actually the 100-300mm and 10-20mm is backordered on that site too, it is just that because the backorder notification
Back order
is presented as an image, so Google Translate failed to translate it :p

I think the margins are slimmer in Japan. The pre-tax MSRP of the 24-105Z is 405,000 JPY (2,470 USD) compared to 2,999 USD in the USA. The same lens in Europe has a pre-tax MSRP of ~3024 EUR, or 3284 USD, but this is partly offset by the 2 year warranty in Europe vs 1 year in USA, so I don't think the margins are substantially higher in Europe.
I tip my yardwork hat to your diligence! Thanks for digging deeper.

Edit: One reason I'm willing to give all manufacturers a pass is because so many products, especially in construction and landscaping, are backordered beyond anything I've experienced prior to 2021. New windows, new garage door hardware, irrigation pumps, many appliances... Mentioning Honda again, we've had a recall on fuel-pumps, and our dealer can't get more than two per month, when he has a list of over 100 customers waiting.

Maybe such issues are global or worse in some areas, but long delays have become just another part of life for consumers, though some of us remember easier times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Possibly. The same was true for the RF 135/1.8 – out of stock at all major US stores, but readily available in Japan and Europe. It seems to be high-end lenses, at least the 28/2.8 was readily available (despite initially being put on the delay list).

Forewarned is forearmed, this has been the case for several years now. As I’ve said before:
  • If you know you want a new item, order it immediately after the announcement – as soon as preorders go live.
  • If you think you might want it, preorder it just in case, and you have several weeks to change your mind and cancel the order.
  • If you decide to buy the later but lens when it’s still ‘out of stock’, set a CPW alert and also check small stores for stock (online then call).
For the above-listed lenses, I knew I wanted two of them (100-300/2.8, 24-105/2.8) when the announcement was imminent, i.e., had leaked on Nokishita. I placed a preorder within the first hour after they opened, and I got both lenses from the first allotment to B&H.

I wasn't interested in the 10-20/4 initially because I had the EF 11-24/4 so I didn't preorder. In January, I changed my mind (when packing the 11-24/4 for a trip and mentally comparing it to the much smaller/lighter 10-20/4), so after my trip I started checking smaller stores online then calling those listing it as in stock. I found one available in mid-February, though major stores still don't have it and Adorama is saying June. Someone on another thread found one a few days ago, and separately Procam had one in stock (was listed on CPW, gone in about an hour).

The point is, if you want a new L-series lens, you need to be proactive to get it early.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Possibly. The same was true for the RF 135/1.8 – out of stock at all major IS stores, but readily available in Japan and Europe. It seems to be high-end lenses, at least the 28/2.8 was readily available (despite initially being put on the delay list).

Forewarned is forearmed, this has been the case for several years now. As I’ve said before:
  • If you know you want a new item, order it immediately after the announcement – as soon as preorders go live.
  • If you think you might want it, free order it just in case, and you have several weeks to change your mind and cancel the order.
  • If you decide to buy the later but lens when it’s still ‘out of stock’, set a CPW alert and also check small stores for stock (online then call).
For the above-listed lenses, I knew I wanted two of them (100-300/2.8, 24-105/2.8) when the announcement was imminent, i.e., had leaked on Nokishita. I placed a preorder within the first hour after they opened, and I got both lenses from the first allotment to B&H.

I wasn't interested in the 10-20/4 initially because I had the EF 11-24/4 so I didn't preorder. In January, I changed my mind (when packing the 11-24/4 for a trip and mentally comparing it to the much smaller/lighter 10-20/4), so after my trip I started checking smaller stores online then calling those listing it as in stock. I found one available in mid-February, though major stores still don't have it and Adorama is saying June. Someone on another thread found one a few days ago, and separately Procam had one in stock (was listed on CPW, gone in about an hour).

The point is, if you want a new L-series lens, you need to be proactive to get it early.
The rf 10-20mm f/4 was the first I've ever preordered. Very glad I did.

I did wonder why we weren't seeing in depth, full reviews from the usual suspects for these lenses. Still recycled "first looks," mostly. Here's a brisk, newer one, not bad, but the reviewer says he got it from B&H lens rentals.

Upvote 0
but this is partly offset by the 2 year warranty in Europe vs 1 year in USA, so I don't think the margins are substantially higher in Europe.
Lens/body pricing in Australia tends to follow the US and has been cheaper (ex-GST) than the pricing in the US during various local specials.... and we have a 5 year warranty.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Lens/body pricing in Australia tends to follow the US and has been cheaper (ex-GST) than the pricing in the US during various local specials.... and we have a 5 year warranty.
I haven't often seen our Aussie pricing of Canon gear matching US pricing (taking tax and currency rates into account). Some years ago it was notably more expensive in Aus, but still I thought (from some recent research) - that US prices still were cheaper.. But you are encouraging me to look deeper now, David! :) Cheers.

Upvote 0
Possibly. The same was true for the RF 135/1.8 – out of stock at all major US stores, but readily available in Japan and Europe. It seems to be high-end lenses, at least the 28/2.8 was readily available (despite initially being put on the delay list).

• If you think you might want it, preorder it just in case, and you have several weeks to change your mind and cancel the order.

Canon are being very tactical and smart with their RF lens production. Making just enough fo their new top end models to create an aura of rarity, but not enough to cause the street price to drop below RRP. Why make 10000 units and have to discount heavily to shift the glass when you can make 1000, carefully drop feed them to the market and sell for top dollar. It's eaxactly the same model that Rolex use with their watches.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2021
I’m a bit perplexed that we went from “all eyes on the R1” to the R5 Mark II taking center stage in rumors. I’m looking forward to the new R5, but I wonder if there was some unforeseen delay with the R1. I would imagine that it’s no longer possible to hit that Olympic Games target unless there is a very short announcement/launch window? I don’t believe very many photographers there will take an unproven camera to the Olympics without enough time in hand to familiarize themselves with how it works and set up/test network operations.
Most Pros shooting for agencies already locked in A9iii and Z9 for Olympics.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Not doomed but lack of great offerings compared to competitors. Kinda surprising.
Yeah. Love that Sony 100-300/2.8. And that Nikon 24-105/2.8. Also love those Sony and Nikon FF zooms starting at 10mm. Oh, and Sony was supposed to have announced an f/2 standard zoom…a month ago the rumor was ‘soon’, and Canon has only had one for 5+ years. Really surprising…nothing great from Canon, lots of great offerings from everyone else. Sure, sure. Troll on, dude.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AUGS

CR Pro
Feb 13, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Maybe Australia got a larger initial allocation that they couldn't sell through -- because it seems to me to be quite inefficient to have lenses sitting on shelves in Australia while people are on waiting lists in the USA.
I don't think a few cameras/lenses sitting on shelves in Australia should be called inefficient or will solve the USA (or anywhere else) waiting list problems.
Typically, we (Australia) are a smaller market, and get a small initial allocation. The fact that a few "may" be available doesn't mean quantity. I "may" get one of those lenses when the new R5m2 or R1 are available to pre-order.

So, as Neuro points out, if you really want (or need) a new camera or lens, be proactive and get in very early on the pre-order list - or be patient.

Upvote 0
I haven't often seen our Aussie pricing of Canon gear matching US pricing (taking tax and currency rates into account). Some years ago it was notably more expensive in Aus, but still I thought (from some recent research) - that US prices still were cheaper.. But you are encouraging me to look deeper now, David! :) Cheers.
Current R5 pricing is AUD4389 (including 10% GST and AUD200 cash redemption from Canon Australia).
https://www.camerapro.com.au/9584-canon-eos-r5-mirrorless-camera.html
Ex GST is AUD3990 => USD3000 (@AUD=0.65USD) which matches B&H's current price

A real bargain in both countries compared to my pre-order 4 years ago (AUD5800 ex-GST) :)

• Love
Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2021
Yeah. Love that Sony 100-300/2.8. And that Nikon 24-105/2.8. Also love those Sony and Nikon FF zooms starting at 10mm. Oh, and Sony was supposed to have announced an f/2 standard zoom…a month ago the rumor was ‘soon’, and Canon has only had one for 5+ years. Really surprising…nothing great from Canon, lots of great offerings from everyone else. Sure, sure. Troll on, dude.
You own all those?

RF 100-300 f2.8 $9,500
RF 24-105 f2.8 $3,000
RF 10-20 f4 $2300
RF 28-70 $3000

Congratulations you paid 100% markup all-in cost for a few mm on both ends.

Tons of other options from Sony and Nikon and 3rd parties for a fraction of the price. Because, you know, you have a choice. Some even, shockingly, better optically!

Where is Canons 600 f6.3 that isn’t $9K+? 800mm 6.3? 200-800 is great until you realize Canon gimped it with optical coatings for some strange reason. The zoom throw is 1000 miles long and stiff as hell. How did Sony make an internal 200-600 that performa so great and is affordable too? Nikon did the same 180-600 6.3. HOW?

And, yeah, those are some great focal lengths and apertures, for the price, from Canon…until they are not.

You seem quite upset with Sony even thinking of releasing a better F2 zoom than Canon. You need to step back from the brand brown nosing.

Canon needs to release better midrange glass that isn’t used car prices. Oh, and actually have them for sale to buy somewhere.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Is it the ergonomics? Weight, size, balance? Do you think the IQ is significantly lower than on Sony's prime?
Weight. I shoot 300mm f/2.8 handheld for hours. Also - like most people *) - I shoot telephoto-zooms mostly at the long end. Meanwhile the 70-200mm f/2.8 is equally good @100-200mm.

IQ wise my impression from the many reviews is that they are very equal. SONY may struggle when shooting against the sun (which bothers me) - but Canon's 300mm f/2.8 bokeh as has also suffered a little from becoming a zoom (which bothers me). There's no perfection in lens building!

System switch is a huge decision. So will wait for the R5II and SONY Aii to emerge (2025?) and do a side-by-side test before deciding. Reviews of the new A9ii (?) indicate SONY has gotten a lot right with their newest gen camera bodies - so its about which lens setup fits me the best.
___

*) It is a well know fact that most people shoot their long zoom lenses at or close to the the extreme end of the zoom range. Using flickr stats on pools of lenses such as the Sigma 150-500mm and the RF 100-500 it is very easy to see that over half of pictures with data are taken @500mm - and quite a few in addition at the further end of the zoom range.

Here a good discussion on how some photographers use their zooms (long and short) and why many often shoot at the extremes: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4667808

Last edited:
Upvote 0