Canon EOS R5 v1.7.0

Aug 9, 2016
Apart from the freezing, for which fortunately I was in the group that didn't have this problem, Canon came out with R5 firmware that was adequte but lacked some niggling features like not being able to change fps for ES shutter and further refinements as found in the R3 and R7. Nikon, on the other hand with the Z9, came out with rather underdeveloped firmware which wasn't up to it and with the promise that they would develop it, which they have done.
So you would prefer canon come out with a underdeveloped crappy firmware first like Nikon so that it would look like more was done to develop the camera? Rather then release a proper working camera out of the box and not have to develop it any further? Got it.

It’s also ironic the entitlement people feel that a camera someone purchased all of a sudden should continue to be developed with features it didn’t have when they purchased it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
So you would prefer canon come out with a underdeveloped crappy firmware first like Nikon so that it would look like more was done to develop the camera? Rather then release a proper working camera out of the box and not have to develop it any further? Got it.

It’s also ironic the entitlement people feel that a camera someone purchased all of a sudden should continue to be developed with features it didn’t have when they purchased it.
If camera's hardware supports them why not? They could even ask for money for some updates like they did with 5D4. But this would make their cameras more competitive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
If camera's hardware supports them why not? They could even ask for money for some updates like they did with 5D4. But this would make their camera's more competitive.
Which updates do you mean?
I don't remember having ever been asked to pay for a 5 D IV update, even though I downloaded every single update.:confused:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

How on earth could you get completely the wrong end of the stick? It should be absolutely clear to anyone who was reading it at face value that I was praising Canon for getting it nearly right before releasing the R5 in contrast to Nikon who put out a camera they knew whose software wasn’t ready.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
How on earth could you get completely the wrong end of the stick? It should be absolutely clear to anyone who was reading it at face value that I was praising Canon for getting it nearly right before releasing the R5 in contrast to Nikon who put out a camera they knew whose software wasn’t ready.
I read it the way you wrote it and I got the praise. Do some people just have bad days and to make themselves feel better they have unnecessary rants on forums. Personally I think its reasonable if Canon can with the same hardware can adjust the firmware to improve autofocus the yshould give it out. If the differences between cameras starts to become only the firmware customers would get annoyed. It helps extend the sales life of the existing camera while they are developing a new one.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I just did a quick test shot at dusk with 1.70. Don't take the quality of this seriously as it was at iso 10k and 1/100s at 500mm and a distance of 14m, conditions where it won't be sharp. But, you can see the AF set to eyeAF and full screen tracking just locked on to a tiny bird, mainly horizontal and not much contrast with the background. I don't seem to have AF problems that others report. Here is the full frame, reduced to fit, and a 100% crop around the Longtailed Tit.View attachment 206661View attachment 206662
Beautiful Long Tailed Tit, tiny of course and almost always keep moving in little packs. I love seeing them

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I read it the way you wrote it and I got the praise. Do some people just have bad days and to make themselves feel better they have unnecessary rants on forums. Personally I think its reasonable if Canon can with the same hardware can adjust the firmware to improve autofocus the yshould give it out. If the differences between cameras starts to become only the firmware customers would get annoyed. It helps extend the sales life of the existing camera while they are developing a new one.
I've written post after post praising the R5 and how for me as a stills rather than a video shooter all I really want more is to be able to have more control over the fps and have a pre-burst mode. Canon really got it right with the R5, which I think is a significant landmark in the development of mirrorless with its awesome AF.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Beautiful Long Tailed Tit, tiny of course and almost always keep moving in little packs. I love seeing them
Longtailed Tits - I love them. At the beginning of Covid in March, April and May 2019, I watched and recorded a pair making a nest in my garden, then flying in with beaks full of insects, completely oblivious to me and my 500mm. They kept me sane during that lockdown time.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Longtailed Tits - I love them. At the beginning of Covid in March, April and May 2019, I watched and recorded a pair making a nest in my garden, then flying in with beaks full of insects, completely oblivious to me and my 500mm. They kept me sane during that lockdown time.
2019? Did I miss an entire year of covid?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I see, Tron meant video upgrades, and not the usual updates. Since I don't do any video, I may have overlooked them.
Thanks!
There was/(is?) another choice to add instead of the video feature: Small verbal comments for each photo (It is either of the two features, not both)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
There was/(is?) another choice to add instead of the video feature: Small verbal comments for each photo (I think it is either of the two features, not both)

I missed that one too.:rolleyes:
I'll check if it's still available, since it could be really useful. Thanks!

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Only a couple of comments so far from people who have installed v1.7.0

I'm still running v1.6 and wondering whether to bother/risk moving to v1.7

Has anyone encountered any bugs/issues with v1.7.0 ?

What improvements (if any) have people noted?
No problems encountered and my R5 is behaving beautifully.

Upvote 0