Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

yes. Basically an RP with IBIS and 6 less megapixels that’s probably going to cost about $1500 more than the RP. Great market strategy. Only way this thing sells is if it’s priced around $1k, which it won’t be.
I'm going to disagree with that one. If the earlier specs are correct, i.e. 20fps electronic shutter, 12fps mechanical, 4k60, IBIS, this thing will likely sell just fine. That's a far cry from an RP with 6 fewer mp and IBIS.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I hope they're as good as the Leica EVF's
So magnesium body on the r5 but not the R6. I would then assume only one card slot on the R6 and that it will indeed fill the 6d niche. RP(and decendants) may well remain as a gateway drug to FF as the r6 is actually impressively specced it seems and will not be a super cheap body.
How can one tell from a video if a camera body is magnesium or something else? There must have been some audio giving some specs, so is Craig holding back additional information?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I am really not sure, what is coming with R6. Name suggests continuation of 6D line. But really? Going down from 26 to 20 mpx? Who would want that? Plastic body? No nice top OLED LCD? Does not seem to be a video centric monster (A7S competition) either?

OK, just for an amusement, I will continue with my typical Canon rant - Canon is yet again going to release a camera, noone has asked for :)
I do not see the R6 line as being some sort of continuation of the 6D line. Rather the naming scheme parallels the D lines in tiers, not function.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon's new aggressive strategy has people twisting their underwear into wads. This is getting really funny to read. Reading things like "6D replacement" or "6D equivalent" is getting comical. Guys, this is a whole new product line that doesn't and will not follow the old "rules". Treat it like that. These cameras don't have to replace a got dang thing. Get off trying to squeeze these machines into a position they aren't necessarily supposed to fit into.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon's new aggressive strategy has people twisting their underwear into wads. This is getting really funny to read. Reading things like "6D replacement" or "6D equivalent" is getting comical. Guys, this is a whole new product line that doesn't and will not follow the old "rules". Treat it like that. These cameras don't have to replace a got dang thing. Get off trying to squeeze these machines into a position they aren't necessarily supposed to fit into.
You took my above post and added some flair.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
So just based on the body type variance alone, magnesium alloy vs not. RP Grip (smaller frame) then perhaps we are looking at a $1500-$1800 camera, and the magnesium R5 in the $3500-3800 range... Your opinions folks?

yes.
But: why does this camera only have 20MP? Because of light capabilities? Then it has the sensor of the
Campag since 1987 baby. I'm just happy to see you're the 2nd fellow roadie here on CR!

Here is the 3rd: Campagnolo for 20+ years ...

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
yes.
But: why does this camera only have 20MP? Because of light capabilities? Then it has the sensor of the

Here is the 3rd: Campagnolo for 20+ years ...
It is tough to see where this body falls. On one hand it's an R5 little sibling on the other it's a Sony A7s killer with a 1DXiii sensor (possibly) So is it a video heavy hybrid or a less featured R5....or both?
Whichever, it will have it's own domain and nothing to do with the 6D lineup.

Upvote 0
So just based on the body type variance alone, magnesium alloy vs not. RP Grip (smaller frame) then perhaps we are looking at a $1500-$1800 camera, and the magnesium R5 in the $3500-3800 range... Your opinions folks?

You actually think Canon is going to pack all that into the R6 and sell it only a few hundred more than the RP? Lol. R6 is going to be close to $3k and the R5 close to $5k. This is Canon we are talking about here...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
You actually think Canon is going to pack all that into the R6 and sell it only a few hundred more than the RP? Lol. R6 is going to be close to $3k and the R5 close to $5k. This is Canon we are talking about here...
No matter where they position it, considering the Nikon Z6 just got an upgrade to shoot ProRes RAW making it one of the best mirrorless cameras for video, the R6 better be good.

Upvote 0