Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

Feb 28, 2013
If the R5 has 45MP why would it be a replacement for 5DS? A 5DS successor should have far higher MP (the rumored 75MP or 83MP).
Its not as simple as increasing MP. Lenses have to keep pace to realise the potential of high MP cameras as it was Canon listed ideal lenses for the 5DS / 5DSr as not all canon optics had the ability to provide the right resolving power. As EF development has been suspended that task falls to the RF mount but not all high end photographers want mirrorless cameras so the sensor development needs to be transferable between both DSLRs & Mirrorless.
Having used the 5DS since it launched for my type of photography (which is not birding) 50MP is more than enough and in portraits I find if I remain at 50MP I use low contrast filters to blow highlights to break the harshness of such clinically sharp shots. 45MP is to me a "sweet spot" providing details most lenses can deal with whilst not producing file sizes that after post-processing quickly eat-up storage space.

Upvote 0
CR: "The EOS R6 is real and has glorious IBIS, that’s really all we needed to know!"

Something new about this body? I am pretty sure the coming R5 will break my wallets capabilities. And I doen´t want and need 4K, 8K or more than 20MP. I wish myself just wish usable ISO 25K and the old ergonomics back anhanced by the AF touch solution. And a battery grip with functions of course.

Ralph

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Maybe not given their announcement about the 1DX3. I'm one of the vocal minority who still wants AA filters, just very weak ones. Ideally, with IBIS and sensor dust cleaning (i.e. moving sensor), we would have the choice of AA via vibration being on or off. But I don't know if someone else (Pentax?) has a patent on that.
Sony uses vibration for variable ND. Not sure if its the sensor or a layer in front of it. Brilliant idea.

Upvote 0
CR: "The EOS R6 is real and has glorious IBIS, that’s really all we needed to know!"

Something new about this body? I am pretty sure the coming R5 will break my wallets capabilities. And I doen´t want and need 4K, 8K or more than 20MP. I wish myself just wish usable ISO 25K and the old ergonomics back anhanced by the AF touch solution. And a battery grip with functions of course.

Ralph
In my case, I would like the R5s version, not the R6. ISO 6400 as good as 1DXII is already more than enough for me. Just looking for extreme resolution at low ISO, clean file and over 14 stops DR, also, no AA filter.

Upvote 0

researcher

Shooting With Trailing-Edge Gear Now & Then...
May 30, 2015
Point taken. I thought the R-series was fundamentally different from the M-series, and there might be a market for an APSC-version for those dedicated crop-format shooters with a EF-S lens collection looking to upgrade to a newer and feature-rich mirrorless system. The M-series strikes me more as a lateral product line rather than upgrade path. Regardless, we'll see what Canon comes up with.

It's called the "M" series, which is the best selling mirrorless camera system on the planet.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Point taken. I thought the R-series was fundamentally different from the M-series, and there might be a market for an APSC-version for those dedicated crop-format shooters with a EF-S lens collection looking to upgrade to a newer and feature-rich mirrorless system. The M-series strikes me more as a lateral product line rather than upgrade path. Regardless, we'll see what Canon comes up with.

I think Canon sees the R-series as more fundamentally different from the M-series than most folks here on CR do. I think Canon sees them as two totally separate markets with very little overlap or desire for APS-C M-series owners to migrate upwards to the FF RF system.

Keep in mind that the M-series in North America has not made much headway replacing Rebels. In Asia, it's the opposite. The entry level DSLRs have pretty much been replaced with APS-C MILCs by most "one camera" consumers. So while in North America most M-series buyers also have larger DSLRs or MILCs and use their M as a "travel" or "pocket" camera, in Asia almost all M-series buyers only have one camera body and one or two lenses with few aspirations to spend a lot more on multiple cameras and lenses. That's pretty close to most Rebel buyers in North America (just not the former Rebel owners here at CR). Most Rebel buyers never go beyond the Rebels. Europe seems to be somewhere in between, with M-series buyers in both categories.

I think Canon has also always seen the Rebel/xx0D/xx00D series as fundamentally different from the 1/5/6/7 series. The big question is where does the x0D series fit in that divide? Based on the simultaneous release of the 90D and M6 Mark II with much of the same hardware and specs/features, I think Canon has placed the x0D series in the M-series mirrorless camp. Where is the R-series camera with that same 32MP APS-C sensor that is Canon's best APS-C sensor to date?

Compare the list of EF-S lenses to EF-M lenses. They're very similar. The higher end EF-S lenses that have no EF-M counterpart have been around for more than a few years. Your EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS has been around since 2006 with no update in sight. The EF-S 60mm macro is a 2005 model. The EF-S 18-200 is from 2008. The 17-85 and 15-85 were rolled out in 2004 and 2009 respectively. When you consolidate the updates within the EF-S list, they're aren't many more EF-S lenses than EF-M lenses. EF-M has an 18-55mm kit lens. EF-S has had 9 different 18-55mm versions. That's nearly half of the 24 total EF-S lenses that have ever been sold! There are also three 18-135 and three 55-250 lenses. EF-M has an 18-150 and a 55-200 as their counterparts. So fifteen of the 24 different EF-S lenses are covered with three EF-M lenses. Of the remaining 9 the EF-S 10-22 and EF-S 10-18 are mirrored by the EF-M 11-22, the EF-M 15-45mm is kind of a compact 18-55mm, the EF-M 22mm and EF-M 35mm are answers to the EF-S 24mm and EF-S 35mm. The EF-M 28mm Macro is the most unique EF-M lens compared to the EF-S lineup, but it resembles the RF 35mm Macro.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
While IBIS seems like a nice feature, when I look at the majority of my photos, subject movement is involved, and its fast movement, so it would be of little practical use, since I'd still need to use fast shutter speeds in relatively low light, and thats always a challenge for me. The improvements in low light autofocus do help me out.

So, IBIS may help some, but not all by any means. I'd pick a camera that has it over one that doesn't because it increases my resale value three years down the road when I upgrade again. The same for 4K or 8K video, it sells cameras, useful or not!

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
How did you stack them?
Hi Alan. I'm a bit late but better than never! It took me forever to find the "good" tutorial again. You need PiPP and Registax, both free Astro type stuff. You can get PiPP here - https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/downloads . You can get Registax here - http://astrophotography-telescope.c...-free-stacking-software-and-image-processing/ . You have to download and install Registax 6.1 and then download and install the 6.1.0.8 update over it. And finally, the tutorial -
. There are a lot of tutorials out there, I found this one the best. BTW, his method for bringing out the colours of the moon work best on a full moon photo, not so much on a half or quarter. You can get a good result with 20-50 photos of the moon but the more, the better. You also get the best results from using a tripod but it can work handheld if careful.

Upvote 0
I want to know how many focus points the R6 will have (although it will be replacing my 6D, so anything above 11 will be a bonus.... ) and how fast/accurate the AF will be I hope it will be better than the 80/90D bicycle tests done by DPReview. ( https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-review/6). Also interested in the resolution and frame rate of the viewfinder

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I want to know how many focus points the R6 will have (although it will be replacing my 6D, so anything above 11 will be a bonus.... ) and how fast/accurate the AF will be I hope it will be better than the 80/90D bicycle tests done by DPReview. ( https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-90d-review/6). Also interested in the resolution and frame rate of the viewfinder

The 90D bicycle test was set up to fail in the light in that location when they did the test. There's no contrast anywhere on the cyclist's face. DPR's bicycle test scene is subject to wide variations in natural lighting and different hair color/helmet colors-contrast/skin tones of different riders. It is inherently flawed. The *same* camera tested with the different conditions and test subjects would likely show as much difference as two different models tested under different conditions do. If their 90D test had a rider with the same black cap and the bright white "H" in the middle of it providing high contrast (the one the rider was wearing in the α7rIII test) and the AF point had actually been centered on the head of the rider, I'm fairly confident their 90D results would have been much different than they were. In the 90D LV test the face was getting more light and was brighter and had more contrast. Of course it did better! If the OVF test had been shot under the same condition, it would have done more than "slightly" better.

Upvote 0