Canon EOS R6 Mark II $1999 (Reg $2499)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon USA has launched a $500 instant rebate on the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, which brings the price to the lowest that we have seen it for a non-refurbished body. You can also save $500 on both the RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM and RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM kit options. Canon EOS R6

See full article...

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Pleasantly but very surprised to see such aggressive pricing on a body that's barely one year old. Unlike Canon, even though we're in Holiday mode, especially given the rave reviews of the R6ll body on many of the social media sites would normally preclude such a promo. If I didn't know better, would otherwise wonder if a gen lll version is on the horizon, already. Go ahead, Canon, do something we would never expect!!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Pleasantly but very surprised to see such aggressive pricing on a body that's barely one year old. Unlike Canon, even though we're in Holiday mode, especially given the rave reviews of the R6ll body on many of the social media sites would normally preclude such a promo. If I didn't know better, would otherwise wonder if a gen lll version is on the horizon, already. Go ahead, Canon, do something we would never expect!!
My guess is that Canon wants to offload as many R6IIs as they can before announcing the rumoured R5II.
Maybe they will announce the R5II and R7II together:)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
2024 looks to be an exciting year for new gear. Bring it on.
This year was no slouch. Personally, I picked up a new body (R8) and soon three new lenses (100-300/2.8, 28/2.8 and the to-be-delivered 24-105/2.8), along with three lenses released in prior years (24/1.8, 100-400, 100/2.8 macro).

For 2024, I’m looking forward to the R1, perhaps a TS-R 14, and some nice surprises.

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
I think the simple explanation is that Canon miscalculated how many R6 II were going to sell over the holidays and seriously undershot their own predictions, now they are left with a few thousand units collecting dust on the shelf.

I don't think there's an R6 mark III in the works, at least not for 2024 and frankly the R6 II still holds its own very well against the competition, that is until Sony releases the A7 V or Nikon the Z6 III, even then, most of the improvements will come to the video features which most still-photographers don't care much for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
The R6II launched 13 months ago. It replaced the R6 after 28 months, which was already a very (very!!) fast cycle.
Yea, but you also need to recognize that the pace of R&D is really picking up speed. Stacked sensors used to be something of an exotic item and for many years only the A9 had such sensor. Now stacked sensors are marching everywhere from high-end cell phones to M43, APS-C and full frames. Prices are coming down fast too. The R5 II is predicted to have stacked sensor and I wouldn't be surprised if an R6 III will have one too by mid 2025. I still don't think this is linked to the $500 price drop.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yea, but you also need to recognize that the pace of R&D is really picking up speed.
Canon is typically in no big rush to implement the latest technology, at least as far as sensors are concerned. That's been true for a very long time, yet they continue to dominate the market. I suppose they've learned something from that.

Upvote 0
Yea, but you also need to recognize that the pace of R&D is really picking up speed. Stacked sensors used to be something of an exotic item and for many years only the A9 had such sensor. Now stacked sensors are marching everywhere from high-end cell phones to M43, APS-C and full frames. Prices are coming down fast too. The R5 II is predicted to have stacked sensor and I wouldn't be surprised if an R6 III will have one too by mid 2025. I still don't think this is linked to the $500 price drop.
R&D is not speeding up at all. The same number of lenses are still being developed at the same pace it has been for years.
Canon are not putting a stacked sensor in any of their cameras any time soon. The R1 and R5ii will have a slightly faster read out than the current cameras but with quad pixel AF.
So I don’t know what news feed you’ve been reading to convince of these weird convictions but it’s not based on any truth.
Sony has one camera with a stacked sensor which also has really poor DR and really poor iso noise. If you want a camera with a stacked sensor so desperately…then go and buy that Sony. Canon won’t be making anything like it for some time…if ever

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
This year was no slouch. Personally, I picked up a new body (R8) and soon three new lenses (100-300/2.8, 28/2.8 and the to-be-delivered 24-105/2.8), along with three lenses released in prior years (24/1.8, 100-400, 100/2.8 macro).

For 2024, I’m looking forward to the R1, perhaps a TS-R 14, and some nice surprises.
Yes, we're all holding our collective breaths, as we await the anticipated R5ll and R1 body announcements.

Upvote 0
Canon are not putting a stacked sensor in any of their cameras any time soon. The R1 and R5ii will have a slightly faster read out than the current cameras but with quad pixel AF.
So I don’t know what news feed you’ve been reading to convince of these weird convictions but it’s not based on any truth.
Sony has one camera with a stacked sensor which also has really poor DR and really poor iso noise. If you want a camera with a stacked sensor so desperately…then go and buy that Sony. Canon won’t be making anything like it for some time…if ever
I think you mean global shutter sensor? The R3 has a stacked sensor and the R1 certainly will too.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
R&D is not speeding up at all. The same number of lenses are still being developed at the same pace it has been for years.
Just to clarify, when you state 'stacked sensor' above you really mean global shutter. Sony has several cameras with stacked sensors, and there's one in my R3 as well.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2020
It could be that they saw an unexpected amount of R6II sales during the Black Friday savings which made them want to bring these users for which the camera was just a tad too expensive into the system than losing them to Nikony or else.

I'm not saying Canon isn't aware of how the market works but somehow misjudged the bump in sales that a reduction of a couple of 100 brought.

Also while I find the R6II much more appealing than the A7IV and it's also newer than three Sony, the latter can be found regularly with big savings, too, and sometimes it's just about capturing users then raw income with a body.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
It could be that they saw an unexpected amount of R6II sales during the Black Friday savings which made them want to bring these users for which the camera was just a tad too expensive into the system than losing them to Nikony or else.

I'm not saying Canon isn't aware of how the market works but somehow misjudged the bump in sales that a reduction of a couple of 100 brought.

Also while I find the R6II much more appealing than the A7IV and it's also newer than three Sony, the latter can be found regularly with big savings, too, and sometimes it's just about capturing users then raw income with a body.
Everything goes on sale at the end of the year.
It does mean that they have excess inventory though.
CIPA data shows that camera sales in North America have plummeted.
These sales might bring things back to normal but, of course, Canon would like to have sold more at the launch price.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
Well, merry xmas to me! I've been hoping for a discount so I can upgrade from my R, and I took advantage of this and picked one up from Glazer's.

This camera will be going with me to the Galapagos in 12-months, and I can't wait! My R will now be my dedicated landscape camera as I love that sensor.

Upvote 0