Canon EOS R6 Mark II already in prototype testing [CR1]

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
Improvements needed nonetheless. Record limit removed or increased to 1hr at least, as a compromise. No wobble. No overheating. MP increase.

Canon should be looking at what were the main complaints about the R6 that people had and FIX them for the R6ii. Wouldn't it be great if Canon did this and reviewers struggled to find any problems. But Canon as we know, will predictably hijack their own products with their imfamous cripple hammer.
I've put the R6 through it's paces and have ZERO complaints or shortcomings. What are the so called issues you believe people have had? Not a few from DPR I mean, it's as unreliable as PetaPixel.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Improvements needed nonetheless. Record limit removed or increased to 1hr at least, as a compromise. No wobble. No overheating. MP increase.

Canon should be looking at what were the main complaints about the R6 that people had and FIX them for the R6ii. Wouldn't it be great if Canon did this and reviewers struggled to find any problems. But Canon as we know, will predictably hijack their own products with their imfamous cripple hammer.
I would expect that all, or most of the desires you've listed would be incorporated in a "R6 Mkii", although the existing camera is a superb product as it stands.

Most of us would probably like higher specs and more bang per buck, but I'm afraid we have to accept that the so-called "cripple hammer" is one of the main reasons for Canon's huge success. They are the trade's leading experts on market segmentation. Although it can sometimes be very frustrating for buyers, Canon's policy always has been, and always will be, that if you want more, you have to pay more to get it. They're not going to cannibalise sales of a high end model if they can possibly avoid it.

IF there is going to be a "R replacement" *and* a "R6Mkii", it will be very interesting to see how they are priced relative to each other, and how they are differentiated in specification...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
It would seem strange to me if they updated the R6 whilst still using the Digic X processor. If they have its successor lined up, it would seems strange to me that it wouldn't go to a flagship model first.
With the exception of Digic X which was introduced in the 1DX iii, all previous Digic processors were first used in consumer oriented cameras ala 8 on m50, 7 on G7x ii, etc. I would not be surprised if R ii or R6 ii gets the next gen processor first as a test bed before they stick it into their flagship.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
Me: Actually R6 is a dream camera that came true. It has things to improve, of course, but we have a BEAST in our hands. Its a camera that can be in our bags until it dies.

Also me: will be great to see spec. leaks at the end of 2023 :)
We have at least two or three years to take profit of this camera until the new one gets out. Enjoy it meanwhile <3

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
A bit hard to believe, especially given the "source." If Canon were to follow its usual schedule, this is about two years too early for a replacement to the R6.

Still fun to speculate. If true, my thought would be that Canon wants to realign its R lineup. They could discontinue the R and then release a new body that is essentially the R6 without IBIS and without a second card slot and sell it for under $2,000 and then release a 24 mp R6II for around $2,800.

On the other hand they could just release an R6II for $2,800 and use rebates to cut the price of the R6 to around $2,000, leaving both in the lineup.

Upvote 0
If they're making an R6II, they ought to put in some form of raw video/raw output, like the R5. Or at the very least allow access to All-I recording internally. I'm considering purchasing a Lumix S5 because I can record Blackmagic Raw externally from it and then just using my R6 for all my photo/quick turn around video needs and stuff where I need autofocus. Canon needs to step up their video game. We have C-LOG3, which is good, but IPB encoding needs to go.
They have stepped up. R5C for hybrid users, and a whole Cinema line. Video shooters just need to step up.

Upvote 0
They have stepped up. R5C for hybrid users, and a whole Cinema line. Video shooters just need to step up.
Yeah no thank you. 8K is rediculous, don't need that. When you step up the resolution you need to also step up your computer specs, storage, etc. I do not want to shoot anything higher than 6K if I don't have to. I can't stand the digital look, I love emulating film, but want the flexibility of raw. Don't need no 8K. The 1DXIII has the same sensor and processor as the R6 and it can do 5.5K 12 bit raw video... Doesn't seem so hard to put it in the R6 for the people that don't want 8K raw. Resolution isn't everything, but Canon doesn't seem to get that.

Upvote 0
More like CR0?

I'd be shocked to see a release of a refreshed R6 this fast. Same for the R5. Even Sony seems to have slowed down their release schedule, so seeing Canon accelerate here seems out of place.

I wonder if they're looking at doing a mid-cycle update to get the new hot-shoe on it if they've got a bunch of new products coming which can use the feature. Or maybe some minor component changes due to shortages etc?

Upvote 0
Considering the source this feels like what we call a „summer hole“ rumor in Germany. But yet, I’d like to join in and give my five cents about it.

In an earlier thread I commented that a R6mkii is needed and will be released in 2023 in order to differentiate from the R successor/ R8. Most people didn’t agree with me because the R6 sales are doing quite well.

I now guess, one - and especially Canon execs - has to factor in the R sales when talking about the R6. The R sales probably have gone downhill considering the R7 & R10 have a much more sophisticated AF system. So, canon needs to either drop the R or bring an successor. And that’s the tricky part. How do upgrade the R, make it a better camera AND do not cut into the R6 sales? Imho, there are two possibilities:

1. give the R8 a great autofocus system, but leave out IBIS and maybe even cut some MP. Some would call it a cripple hammer…

2. seriously upgrade the R and upgrade the R6 to differentiate from a well specd R8 (not going to list possible improvements, that was an entirely different thread)

I’ve read a stacked sensor, a new hotshot and improved video specs could contribute to an R6mk II. Sounds great, only the stacked sensor would probably push the R6 to at least 2.800 €. This would leave room for 2.000-2.200 € R8.

So, basically, what I’m saying: the R6 doesn’t need an upgrade because it is a bad camera. It needs to be upgrade in order to have a proper, well differentiated camera line up and make room for a capable R8.

The R8 could be the little sibling of the R5, the R6 would do the same for the R3.

Typed on my phone (which I hate) so apologize for spelling/ grammar mistakes…

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...So, basically, what I’m saying: the R6 doesn’t need an upgrade because it is a bad camera. It needs to be upgrade in order to have a proper, well differentiated camera line up and make room for a capable R8.…
Aside from the word "capable," I agree with this sentence. I would call it "more modest" while others would whine that it is "crippled." (A phrase that I hate.) The only reason I can see to change the R6 is to make room in a lineup for a cheaper R replacement (R8 or whatever they choose to call it). Why would they need to give an R8 better specs than the existing R6? My guess is they would upgrade the R6 very modestly – change the sensor resolution to either 24 or 30 mp and add a few tweaks. Then subtract a few things from the R6 for the new R8 (dual card slot and IBIS come to mind), in order to hit a $2,000 price point.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Considering the source this feels like what we call a „summer hole“ rumor in Germany. But yet, I’d like to join in and give my five cents about it.

In an earlier thread I commented that a R6mkii is needed and will be released in 2023 in order to differentiate from the R successor/ R8. Most people didn’t agree with me because the R6 sales are doing quite well.

I now guess, one - and especially Canon execs - has to factor in the R sales when talking about the R6. The R sales probably have gone downhill considering the R7 & R10 have a much more sophisticated AF system. So, canon needs to either drop the R or bring an successor. And that’s the tricky part. How do upgrade the R, make it a better camera AND do not cut into the R6 sales? Imho, there are two possibilities:

1. give the R8 a great autofocus system, but leave out IBIS and maybe even cut some MP. Some would call it a cripple hammer…

2. seriously upgrade the R and upgrade the R6 to differentiate from a well specd R8 (not going to list possible improvements, that was an entirely different thread)

I’ve read a stacked sensor, a new hotshot and improved video specs could contribute to an R6mk II. Sounds great, only the stacked sensor would probably push the R6 to at least 2.800 €. This would leave room for 2.000-2.200 € R8.

So, basically, what I’m saying: the R6 doesn’t need an upgrade because it is a bad camera. It needs to be upgrade in order to have a proper, well differentiated camera line up and make room for a capable R8.

The R8 could be the little sibling of the R5, the R6 would do the same for the R3.

Typed on my phone (which I hate) so apologize for spelling/ grammar mistakes…
I agree that Canon has to rationalise its line-up and its naming conventions. The R has become something of an oddity - I can't see much likelihood of there ever being a R ii. I'm not sure if there is any need for Canon to launch a full-frame R8 or R9 model, which name-wise would mean having an APS-C camera (the R7) stuck in the middle of the FF series. I have doubts too about whether we'll see a "R5S" hi-res model. Perhaps they might upgrade the cameras something like this:

R5 ii - 60MP, possible new processor, upgraded EVF (2024 release)
R6 ii - 28MP, upgraded EVF (2024 release)
RX - replacing RP, upgraded AF, single slot, no IBIS (2023 release)

Above these would obviously be the R3 and R1.
All models below the "RX" and R7 would be APS-C

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I don't understand the point of this. Of course every current camera that Canon has released has some next-gen version on the drawing board, or maybe even designed/built and being tested. It means that even in a pandemic with supply-chain challenges, it's great that Canon is continuing on with evolution.
The point of this is simple:

1) Clickbait for this website and it's advertisers.

2) A bit of fun for Canon users who like to speculate about future models.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I really don’t think there will be an “Rii” that’s what the R5 already is.

I do however think a more pro grade aps-c model will be made. I’m loving my R7, the speed, AF, image quality is all brilliant but… THERE WAS A REASON CANON MADE THE R7 WITHOUT BATTERY GRIB COMPATIBILITY!! I mean, why on earth would Canon really not make a little grip for their most advanced crop sensor camera..? Because that’s not the one they want the more serious photographers buying.

Upvote 0
The R6 is $2.5K, and sells very well. You’re looking for a cheaper camera, like the R.
A Z 6II is a better buy for some people if your not using it for birding and starting out new. The R6 is excellent in all categories, but in my opinion, overpriced. For about the same price you can get a Sony A7 IV. A Z7 II offers a 45 mp sensor for just a few hundred dollars more. Not putting down the R6, just putting it in proper perspective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I mean, why on earth would Canon really not make a little grip for their most advanced crop sensor camera..? Because that’s not the one they want the more serious photographers buying.
If they thought a grip for the R7 would be profitable, most likely they’d have made one. Possibly the grips for the 7DII and 90D didn’t sell enough units to be profitable. That rationale is far more sensible saving the grip for some future model.

I suspect the only ‘more advanced’ R7 will be the R7II in several years. Canon wants more serious photographers to buy FF cameras and the lenses for them.

Upvote 0
R6 is relatively new.
I don't think it'll be R6 II rather another line with a higher price if it has the same sensor as R3.
this would impact R3 sell. R3 has the first stacked sensor from Canon and the R&D cost would be pretty high.
They would limit some features due to the form factor and heat management.
But there is competition from crop sensor cameras with lower price point. There are many whom think stack sensor in crop format can compete with FF IQ... which is silly. Stacked sensor only gives you speed advantage which reduces AF tracking and jelo effect problems.
This could be a ticking box exercise i.e. stacked sensor with 'limitation'.

Upvote 0