Canon EOS R7 specifications [CR3]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Thanks, that gave me almost as much of a laugh as your refusal to accept (or inability to grasp) the concept of equivalence.

The R7 looks like a great camera, and I’m pleased for those excited about it. Lower build quality, fewer control options, no grip, that’s not a true successor to the 7DII. It’s like saying the 2022 Corolla is the successor to the 2014 Corolla.

People will tell themselves it is, just like people told themselves the 7-series were baby 1-series bodies. Possibly because of their fragile egos. :ROFLMAO:
Nice try but I’m not going to take the equivalence red herring bait. Bottom line, you were adamant that Canon would not make an APS-C R body and definitely wouldn’t make a 7 series body. This is a forum where people express their opinions and often make predictions. Adults on the forum admit when they guess wrong. Then there are those who can’t admit they got it wrong and just double down and move the goalposts.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Fast UHS-II cards are good enough to run every shooting mode on the R5 just as well as the CFExpress slot except for the three most demanding video modes. Otherwise there is no advantage to using the CFExpress vs. the UHS-II slot in the R5.
There is a clear advantage of CFe Type B over UHS-ii when it comes to clearing the buffer.
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=34990
Of course, if you are dual recording to both cards then the slowest card will be the limiting factor

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Nice try but I’m not going to take the equivalence red herring bait. Bottom line, you were adamant that Canon would not make an APS-C R body and definitely wouldn’t make a 7 series body. This is a forum where people express their opinions and often make predictions. Adults on the forum admit when they guess wrong. Then there are those who can’t admit they got it wrong and just double down and move the goalposts.
I already admitted I was wrong, as I’ve done regarding other matters. But, since you seem to need it personally, I’ll reiterate: I predicted there would be no APS-C EOS R body, and I was wrong.

I maintain the R7 is not a true successor to the 7DII. The analogy of the 1D X holds – 1Ds, 11 MP; 1DsII, 16 MP, 1DsIII, 21 MP...see the pattern? 1D X, 18 MP. Not a true successor to the 1DsIII. Canon says it is, because they wanted 1DsIII owners to buy the 1D X. There wasn't a 1DsIV. There are plenty of people on this forum predicting that the R1 will be the spiritual successor – a high MP 1-series body. I doubt it, but time will tell. Similar with the R7. I doubt there will be an APS-C EOS R line sitting 'above' the R7.

As I've said many (many!) times, Canon knows the market better than anyone on this forum. That definitely includes me. I'm truly surprised there apparently is no vertical grip for the R7. But Canon knows how many grips they sold for the 90D and 7DII, and they apparently chose not to develop a grip.

Upvote 0
Good. While we're on the topic of UHS-II, based on the video specs of the R7, will a V60 card be good enough for all photo and video modes? Those V90 card prices are still shockingly high out here.
I agree. For the R5, the CFe cards were about the same cost as the UHS-ii cards so it was uncertain why the decision to have mixed cards if just looking at cost/performance issue vs backwards compatibility support

The R7 advanced user guide hasn't been released yet. I believe that the R10 version has been released. Once the R7 guide is released, then it will specify which cards are needed for the video modes.
Copied from the R5 manual, you can see the modes that a V60 card can support assuming the same codecs. I'm not sure whether the 4k60 on R7 is 8 or 10bit
1653957276239.png

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I already admitted I was wrong…
I missed that. Good for you.
I maintain the R7 is not a true successor to the 7DII.
Expressed as an opinion is certainly fair.
Similar with the R7. I doubt there will be an APS-C EOS R line sitting 'above' the R7.
I do too.
I'm truly surprised there apparently is no vertical grip for the R7. But Canon knows how many grips they sold for the 90D and 7DII, and they apparently chose not to develop a grip.
I’m surprised as well. Mostly because I believe it is a high margin accessory. On the other hand I wonder how many genuine Canon grips sold vs third party knockoffs.

As an old film camera shooter I never got used to the vertical controls and just find it easier and more natural to use the top controls in the vertical position even on 1 series cameras.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I agree. For the R5, the CFe cards were about the same cost as the UHS-ii cards so it was uncertain why the decision to have mixed cards if just looking at cost/performance issue vs backwards compatibility support

The R7 advanced user guide hasn't been released yet. I believe that the R10 version has been released. Once the R7 guide is released, then it will specify which cards are needed for the video modes.
Copied from the R5 manual, you can see the modes that a V60 card can support assuming the same codecs. I'm not sure whether the 4k60 on R7 is 8 or 10bit
View attachment 204006
Yeah, for the prices that UHS-II go for, I would much rather just buy more CFe cards. Thanks for digging out the R5 manual page. I'm not really a video shooter, so don't actually plan to use the camera for that purpose too much, but would prefer not to limit my options if I don't have to. Is it known whether the R7 can do 4K RAW? I'm guessing 'no' since RAW would actually be 7K? Other than that, based on the R5, it seems like V60 might be able handle all modes the R7 offers. Knowing me, I'll probably still go V90 though... :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Another prediction I made is that the M line is not ‘dead’. Here’s what Canon said in a recent interview:
  • The EOS M Series accounts for about 30% of Canon’s total camera sales. By the way, EOS R is about 20% and digital SLR is about 40%.The ratio of the M series to our camera sales is extremely high at 30% or more, and it is unlikely that the M series will not be upgraded in the future. We would like to listen to the requests of our customers and provide the M series as long as there is demand.
I wonder how those who have predicted the demise of the M line feel about that?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Another prediction I made is that the M line is not ‘dead’. Here’s what Canon said in a recent interview:
  • The EOS M Series accounts for about 30% of Canon’s total camera sales. By the way, EOS R is about 20% and digital SLR is about 40%.The ratio of the M series to our camera sales is extremely high at 30% or more, and it is unlikely that the M series will not be upgraded in the future. We would like to listen to the requests of our customers and provide the M series as long as there is demand.
I wonder how those who have predicted the demise of the M line feel about that?
This raises a question about the future of DSLRs. If the M series will be updated at 30% of sales, will DSLRs at 40% not be updated as well?

My prediction has been that Canon will wait until mirrorless sales have stabilized and then determine the fate of DSLRs.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I already admitted I was wrong, as I’ve done regarding other matters. But, since you seem to need it personally, I’ll reiterate: I predicted there would be no APS-C EOS R body, and I was wrong.

I maintain the R7 is not a true successor to the 7DII. The analogy of the 1D X holds – 1Ds, 11 MP; 1DsII, 16 MP, 1DsIII, 21 MP...see the pattern? 1D X, 18 MP. Not a true successor to the 1DsIII. Canon says it is, because they wanted 1DsIII owners to buy the 1D X. There wasn't a 1DsIV. There are plenty of people on this forum predicting that the R1 will be the spiritual successor – a high MP 1-series body. I doubt it, but time will tell. Similar with the R7. I doubt there will be an APS-C EOS R line sitting 'above' the R7.

As I've said many (many!) times, Canon knows the market better than anyone on this forum. That definitely includes me. I'm truly surprised there apparently is no vertical grip for the R7. But Canon knows how many grips they sold for the 90D and 7DII, and they apparently chose not to develop a grip.
I believe the R7 is the successor to the 7D due to the naming convention, just as the R5 is the succssor to the 5D series. If Canon felt that there was room for a higher level crop camera than this, I bet they would have called this one the R70 instead, whilst waiting for a future more "pro-grade" R7.

Instead we have the aps-c line comprising of a semi pro/enthusiast R7, and consumer R10 line-up. I doubt there is room for another camera in this line since Canon focuses on full frame, unlike Fuji.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I believe the R7 is the successor to the 7D due to the naming convention, just as the R5 is the succssor to the 5D series. If Canon felt that there was room for a higher level crop camera than this, I bet they would have called this one the R70 instead, whilst waiting for a future more "pro-grade" R7.

Instead we have the aps-c line comprising of a semi pro/enthusiast R7, and consumer R10 line-up. I doubt there is room for another camera in this line since Canon focuses on full frame, unlike Fuji.
Rudy Winston from Canon USA gets into this a bit in the Adorama live stream. He said, and I'm paraphrasing a bit: The R7 is not the successor of the 7D and 7D2, it sits in between the 90D and 7D2.

I interpret that as the R7 is built like a 90D, not like a 7D2, but the fps, AF and dual slots make it 'better' than a 90D. And reading between the lines, I suspect Rudy isn't happy with it being 'R7' instead of 'R70', since my first thought was "mirrorless 7D!!!!", when it's more of a mirrorless 90D.

I'll keep my expectations low till I get my preorder delivered.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Rudy Winston from Canon USA gets into this a bit in the Adorama live stream. He said, and I'm paraphrasing a bit: The R7 is not the successor of the 7D and 7D2, it sits in between the 90D and 7D2.

I interpret that as the R7 is built like a 90D, not like a 7D2, but the fps, AF and dual slots make it 'better' than a 90D. And reading between the lines, I suspect Rudy isn't happy with it being 'R7' instead of 'R70', since my first thought was "mirrorless 7D!!!!", when it's more of a mirrorless 90D.

If the R7 has AF that is as good as the R5 or R6 and the resolution at high isos no worse than the R5, I shall be happy. The other factors are minor to me, apart from the fortunate presence of dual card slots and the welcome ability to change fps in ES mode.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If the R7 has AF that is as good as the R5 or R6 and the resolution at high isos no worse than the R5, I shall be happy. The other factors are minor to me, apart from the fortunate presence of dual card slots and the welcome ability to change fps in ES mode.
My low expectations are for the build quality, I'm already happy with the IQ on my M6II and I think the R7 can only improve on that. The autolevelling feature alone would make things better for me, I tend to be about 1 degree off when there's a horizon in frame :)

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020

It's interesting how Canon PR operates. I distinctly recall that when the R5 came out, Canon specifically stated that the R5 is not a 5D4 replacement. And when the R3 came out, that the 1Dx3 was still the flagship. Does anyone believe these statements?

What the naming convention tells me is that there won't be a more expensive aps-c Canon (e.g. Fuji X-HS2) coming out.

It appears to me that Canon will keep the crop R line limited in scope as they expect more serious photographers to go to full frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So if R7 is considered 'hobbyist' camera, does that mean there is a pro version yet to come (perhaps a R9)? Would be nice to have the CF Express card with 1700 Mb/s vs SD card with 300 Mb/s so I won't be buffering with wildlife pix.
Already here. R5 or R3 (possibly an R1 in the future). @neuroanatomist is correct. The R7 is as good as it gets for Canon APS-C. C-Raw can resolve your buffer concerns with no discernible loss of quality.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I love my R5. Would be nice to have a pro level APS C mirrorless for wildlife to replace the pro level EF 7DII. Just seems to me Canon's repeated mention of the R7 as a hobbyist camera is a signal that a pro level is in the works. Just my guess. Time will tell.
Difficult to tell if Canon is going to come out with a pro-grade APS-C camera. Personally, I would have anticipated that as the R7, but only Canon knows.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I’m surprised as well. Mostly because I believe it is a high margin accessory. On the other hand I wonder how many genuine Canon grips sold vs third party knockoffs.

As an old film camera shooter I never got used to the vertical controls and just find it easier and more natural to use the top controls in the vertical position even on 1 series cameras.

When a 20% discount means you only have to pay $256 for a grip to fit your $1,500 camera, is it any wonder the third parties selling them for $49-$89 beat their socks off in sales?

20220529ss2-jpg.203989

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
When a 20% discount means you only have to pay $256 for a grip to fit your $1,500 camera, is it any wonder the third parties selling them for $49-$89 beat their socks off in sales?

20220529ss2-jpg.203989
No surprise. On the other hand I got a Canon grip for the original R free with the 24-105 f4. Thanks for reminding me that in in the pre-pandemic days Canon used to give them away with bundle deals. Also not very profitable though.

Upvote 0