Canon EOS R8 specifications

photophil

In therapy for GAS
Jun 17, 2022
HD
Overall interesting specs, although no-IBIS will turn off many here.
Bus as some said, some sound too good to be true.

Thanks for that comparison.
This makes me hope for a really small travel body.
In that case I'd swallow the no-IBIS, what could have been expected.
I can take 1 and even 2 second exposures with R6 + RF35, but is that significantly better than the 1/2 second exposures with RP + RF35?
Not really. Do I miss the form factor and weight of the RP? You bet!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
So it's basically a smaller R6 mkii without ibis?
Maybe a single card slot because it got hit with the canon cripple hammer?
If the price is right, might not be a bad idea for an affordable backup body to keep around.
Sony A7C which is compact version of A7 doesnt have dual card slots either and given small size expected of R8 it certainly isnt unexpected. Looking at full specs listed on Digicame video specs are impressive.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It might be updated vari angle screen and machine translation making mistakes while translating from Japanese.
The screen is listed below that, so it could be something like false colour or zebra for video.
But your idea of translation errors makes a lot of sense, digikame said they read the info on an Italian website. So there’s an extra level of translation!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
So it's basically a smaller R6 mkii without ibis?
Maybe a single card slot because it got hit with the canon cripple hammer?
If the price is right, might not be a bad idea for an affordable backup body to keep around.
As an R6 owner, the R6mk2 is tempting but not worth the cost of upgrading. Having the option of an R6mk2 w/o IBIS at a lower price is a good thought, but with no built in viewfinder and a different battery type I think that ruins it for me. Then again, I have holes in my RF lens lineup that need shoring up anyway so I'm not even in the market for a camera.

With the recent developments I've been thinking about a sort of dual mandate for cameras within the ecosystem. They should provide a logical entry point for lower spend customers and a viable second body application for higher spend customers. I feel like the different battery type is a big downside for the second body option.

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's hilarious to sell a kit for a camera that shoots FF 40 fps, but your max reach is 50 mm?

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The problem is, that if Canon designed an RP successor, it would be very difficult to keep such a form factor with an LP-E6(NH) shaped battery.
French proverb: on ne peut avoir le beurre et l'argent du beurre.
(You can't have the butter and the money for the butter).
A compact shape could (will?) lead to a compact battery.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
an LP E17 battery will be a no no. It meant Canon learned nothing.
You can't put a large battery into a small camera. The fact that you don't understand this means that you have learned nothing. The fact that over the years you continue to criticize the battery means that you have absolutely no idea what is important in a camera. Everybody else seems to undersrtand that the battery is of almost no consequence because you can carry extras if you are planning on a long day of shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
Also A7C has a CIPA rating of 740 (LCD) / 680 (viewfinder) vs 250 / 210 of the RP.

I did an event recently with my R6 (LP-E6NH) where I shot just over 7,000 frames in about 6 hours and had 50% of my battery left. I'm not sure CIPA is relevant to anything. Perhaps it's proportionally correct, but it's so far off from reality even that seems unlikely.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

photophil

In therapy for GAS
Jun 17, 2022
HD
I did an event recently with my R6 (LP-E6NH) where I shot just over 7,000 frames in about 6 hours and had 50% of my battery left. I'm not sure CIPA is relevant to anything. Perhaps it's proportionally correct, but it's so far off from reality even that seems unlikely.
Agreed, CIPA rating does not at all reflect how most people actually use their cameras and how the battery drains over real-world use.

For what it's worth, putting a 1000 mAh battery (LP E17) in a camera vs a 2000 mAh battery (LP-E6 or Sony's NP-FZ100) does make a difference though.
While I do not know whether any design constaints result from that, the A7C shows that it is at least possible to put a 2000 mAh battery in a camera of similar size as the RP.

Upvote 0
Asobinet has posted specifications for the upcoming Canon EOS R8. We think we’re going to see a few surprises in this camera body when it is announced alongside the Canon EOS R50 this month. Canon EOS R8 Specifications (Rumored)

See full article...
What does "In-body image stabilization is not installed" mean?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
2280 mAh battery in the A7C, 1040 mAh battery in the RP. Size comparison.
You can't put a large battery into a small camera. The fact that you don't understand this means that you have learned nothing. The fact that over the years you continue to criticize the battery means that you have absolutely no idea what is important in a camera. Everybody else seems to undersrtand that the battery is of almost no consequence because you can carry extras if you are planning on a long day of shooting.
I agree that the RP benefits from the smaller battery; allows for a very comfortable hand grip IMO, especially with the grip extension. As you say, you have to budget for spare batteries. This is especially the case with the G1Xiii, a tiny camera that genuinely fits into a smallish coat pocket, the original G1X wouldn't. The mark 3 is criticised for the small battery, but you just have to carry a spare or two. If I'm travelling light I'd much rather the camera is kept small and light plus carrying a spare battery rather than having to carry a larger, bulkier camera.

I don't know how or why Sony can use a 2280 mAh battery in the same physical size as the RP's.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Smaller than the RP, but with a full frame sensor and at $1,500 - sounds like it would be a really good target for a weight conscious backup body, if it used LPE6. Doesn't seem likely at that weight, but I can wish!
At that weight, it does seem likely that it will use the LP-E17, not the LP-E6

I was hoping the R8 would be as originally rumored, an APS-C camera between the R10 and R7, and that it would have an M6II-like form factor. Had that been the case, it would have replaced the M6II my walkaround/backup camera for travel (on family trips, I typically carry an M with a few lenses during the day with family, then go out solo in the early morning/late evening with a FF camera).

The current R8 specs have me considering the R8 as the 'main' camera. My travel shooting with FF is typically on a tripod, so I don't need the speed of the R3. For me, if the R8 uses the LP-E17 that would be an advantage for travel because it would share batteries with the M6II.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0