Canon EOS R8 will likely be available in late April

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
To bad the R8 has no true mechanical shutter.... currently I wouldn't buy a near to full-e-shutter camera! Because of BANDING and ROLLING SHUTTER.
It does have a mechanical shutter curtain, so you don’t have to fear rolling shutter.

It doesn’t have two curtains, only one, but the curtain it does have is most definitely mechanical. So you get EFCS and ES shutter modes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Feryl

EOS R8
Feb 3, 2023
I was worried about this too until I found out that the RP also doesn't have the "full" mechanical shutter and I never noticed any issues. At least the R8 can now do 6fps with continuous AF and for the few times I need more the ES is available in all modes (unlike the RPs ES). More than happy with that compromise.

Instead I would have preferred a sligthly bigger and updated body to accomodate a bigger battery. Feels kind of weird to spend all that money and get a camera that looks almost exactly like the old one (they didn't even bother to update the R8 plate to match the design of the other R cameras). But at least the battery has never been a big issue for my style of shooting so it should be fine on the R8 as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Feels kind of weird to spend all that money and get a camera that looks almost exactly like the old one (they didn't even bother to update the R8 plate to match the design of the other R cameras). But at least the battery has never been a big issue for my style of shooting so it should be fine on the R8 as well.
I suspect Canon is hoping RP users will update for the better AF and other features. For current RP users, the compatibility with their existing batteries and the grip extension is an advantage.

Upvote 0
Porsche produces only a few car models. In addition to the R8, Canon also produces the R5, R6, R6ll,R3, R7, R50, R10...... and several DSLR models are still in production. Let's not forget the huge range of lenses. It is a manufacture of very fine electronics and optics. It requires great precision and puts a different strain on production facilities.
Porsche "used to make only a few cars models". There are now twenty three variations of the iconic 911, then there are several variations each of the Macan, Cayenne, Panamera, Cayman, Boxster, and Taycan. Perhaps Audi owners should own Canon cameras. They make the R8, RS3, RS5, RS7 :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Porsche "used to make only a few cars models". There are now twenty three variations of the iconic 911, then there are several variations each of the Macan, Cayenne, Panamera, Cayman, Boxster, and Taycan. Perhaps Audi owners should own Canon cameras. They make the R8, RS3, RS5, RS7 :ROFLMAO:
That way they can use the same model camera when their car is in the shop.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0