Canon EOS RP body price confirmed at $1299 USD, and we’re very happy about it

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Did anyone notice that the 4K was only rated for 25 FPS and ~24FPS? What happened to 4K IBP 30FPS that we had in the EOS R? Exact same digic 8 processor but we lose 5 FPS on 4K? What gives....
I did notice! Less money, fewer fps:)
They could've left it be at 30fps...

Upvote 0
I did notice! Less money, fewer fps:)
They could've left it be at 30fps...

I wondered about this too. Perhaps the sensor readout circuitry didn't allow it, or they had problems with heat dissipation in the smaller body? Not trying to make excuses for Canon, but in all honesty, I'm surprised that it has 4K at all, LOL!

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Canon has just killed it. This pricing is insanely good. Will buy it with 24-105mm f4 L IS.

I was really hoping the 24-70mm 2.8 would be out (or at least announced) by the time I bought an RF body... Hopefully it does get announced this week so I can decide whether I want to get the 24-105 in the meantime...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I was really hoping the 24-70mm 2.8 would be out (or at least announced) by the time I bought an RF body... Hopefully it does get announced this week so I can decide whether I want to get the 24-105 in the meantime...

I was under the impression the new lenses were launching tonight along with the RP body. Is that still the assumption?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Well damn. Well. Damn. I had no intention of even contemplating this but now......... maybe put my 700d and kit lenses up for sale and start trying to get funds for this to pair with the 7d2. 1299USD should be a bit under 2k in Aus. That is tempting. Very tempting.

Upvote 0
this was also UK specs, it could be that USA RP's has 30fps.
Actually, I don't think so.

The explanation for the M50's capabilities.
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...e-Canon-EOS-M50/4K-Video-on-the-Canon-EOS-M50

As mentioned above, EOS M50 can record 4K video at either 24 fps (actual 23.98 fps, when camera is set to NTSC-type video recording), or 25.00 fps for PAL-compatible regions. Faster frames per second recording speeds will require switching to Full HD or HD recording.

Upvote 0
As a fence sitter on the R series, I like the pricing at intro. My grandson may be inheriting an M6 sooner than I would have anticipated. The M6 served me well as a "toe in the water" for mirrorless. Unfortunately, Canon did not factor in the size of my hands, and my need to wear transition lenses into the M6 specs, eh?

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
At this price point I'm tempted. I would like to add a 2nd FF camera to my 5Ds (right now my 2nd body is a crop body), and I would like 4k. I rejected the R out of hand for cropped 4k at its price point. I would prefer FF 4k...but at $1299? At $1299 I think I can live with cropped 4k.

I'm guessing they're including the cheapest EF adapter and I know I would want the one with the ring. Still....

I'm in no hurry, so I'm going to wait and see what the initial reviews are like for video quality. But this could end up being my FF backup. The other advantage to waiting is to see what happens on the gray market and what happens with people breaking up kits. If I can snag body only at $1k and add the adapter I want....

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Upvote 0
I didn't read the whole thread, please someone give me a quick yes/no update: is Canon doomed this time? Thanks.

Hahaha...I love it. Nope -- definitely not doomed. :)

Canon's competitors, on the other hand, might be starting to squirm a little. With the EOS RP features, price point, EF and EF-S compatibility via included adapter and the RF lens roadmap, others are gonna have to really dig deep to keep up in the market* (which is good for everyone).

* And I don't mean specs-wise. I mean all the factors that drive market movement, which Canon seems to navigate deftly.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I would just remind you that the 6D Mk II price at launch should have surprised no one because it was in alignment with the introductory pricing of the original 6D and in particular the pricing/value relationship between the 5D Mk III and the 6D vs the 5D Mk IV and the 6D Mk II.

I think the greater issue for many (at least those that were anticipating the 6D Mk II performance/spec-wise, was that in certain tests the 6D's sensor performance bested the 5D Mk III (as the 6D came out after the 5D Mk III) and I think that fact loomed large in a lot of the anticipatory thinking concerning the 6D Mk II's sensor vs. the 5D Mk IV. Canon was not going to make that "happy accident" a second time. The other significant issue for Canon's latest DSLR offerings (in the past 3 years), at least according to various photo sites and forums, has been there seeming unwillingness to really embrace/adopt non-bastardized 4K in these models.

Sorry my post has gone a little rogue here (off-topic). One final statement. What is the number 1 cause of friction in any relationship? Whether inter-personal, or say between a customer and a business (of any kind)?
Answer:
Our expectations - of the other party/person, product, service, etc.

Example: Canon's 6D Mk II.
Does the 6d Mk II take great images? Does it work properly? ...? ...? etc.? By all accounts, from those that purchased it, YES.

Does it have short-comings? Yes

Has every camera model introduced over the last 80 years had short-comings (for the time it was introduced)? realistically. YES.

But some, even many, models have at least met, if not exceeded, EXPECTATIONS. Example: 5D, 5D Mk III, in some ways the 5D Mk II (think video), 1DX, F1, AE-1, T-90, EOS 620, (and these are just a few of Canon's models).
I bought a 6D2 on launch day, and I remained thrilled with it. The camera met all of my expectations (I did not expect a cheap 5D4), and I didn't and don't regret paying the launch price one bit, even despite the sales that hit not long thereafter.

That said, , I think 6D2 would have sold a lot more units if it had been more aggressively priced from day one, and that would have subdued a lot of the criticisms that the sensor wasn't as good (or better) than 5D4.

I think that RP nails it on the pricing to try to upsell people looking at premium APSC cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
GfHxg96.jpg

Upvote 0