Canon exec confirms that the EOS-1D X Mark III is Canon’s last DSLR

Yes the article said that will continue developing entry and midrange DSLR but how long you haven’t been seeing new DSLR on the shelves?
There's something called a pandemic and extreme supply shortages happening right now. I hope you don't use that as any kind of proof. but the last DSLR was 2019 I think.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
His use of the word "flagship" allows me to still hold out hope for a 5DV.
I admire your optimism. Seriously though, I think there is a slim chance that Canon may consolidate all its full frame DSLRs into a single body, May not be a 5D, but might be similar.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hmmm... OK he probably deserved it. But could we stop lowering the tone by insulting other posters? Let's keep this a nice place to visit.
I will continue to respond to ridiculous assertions with the ridicule they deserve. I will point out that such ridicule is typically directed at repeat idiocy. For example, @ashmadux is one of those for whom an f/5.6 lens is ok but an f/7.1 is trash and a joke. Canon was a dinosaur years ago, according to @ashmadux but apparently he’s still riding that dinosaur…and still bemoaning it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I admire your optimism. Seriously though, I think there is a slim chance that Canon may consolidate all its full frame DSLRs into a single body, May not be a 5D, but might be similar.
I think very slim. There now officially won't be another 1D series, so unless Canon are getting significant -ve feedback on the R5, it's hard to see why they would go ahead with a 5DV. The (rumoured) high MP R5 would belatedly take over from the high MP 5Ds, and the 6D2 is likely to be superseded in the new year with the low $ R series bodies. The future of the APSC DSLRs is, in some ways, more interesting - especially if an R7 does appear in 2022.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Perhaps Canon will release a 7D Mark III DSLR after all ;) What kind of upgrades could they do to the 90D? I can only think of USB-C, a bigger viewfinder, the 7D II focus system (Probably unrealistic for the market) and the eye sensor that turns the LCD off that was in the lower model 700D, the 90D feels like going backwards without that eye sensor. Can anyone else think of other 90D upgrades?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Perhaps Canon will release a 7D Mark III DSLR after all ;) What kind of upgrades could they do to the 90D? I can only think of USB-C, a bigger viewfinder, the 7D II focus system (Probably unrealistic for the market) and the eye sensor that turns the LCD off that was in the lower model 700D, the 90D feels like going backwards without that eye sensor. Can anyone else think of other 90D upgrades?
Any 90D upgrade with a mirror will be going backwards for me. The Nikon D500 was what the 7DIII could have been, with superb AF and sensor, but I sold mine after getting the R5. I had a great time with it and would still be perfectly happy using it and the superb 500mm PF if I didn't have an R5. The R5 and R6 were a watershed with Canon where mirrorless pulled ahead and will continue to draw further ahead. The more focus points you have, the better the AF and subject recognition. Canon with some 5000 points already from its DPAF system is going to be increasing hard to beat for mirrorless.

Upvote 0
I have just woken up and read all this news and thread. I have two conclusions.

One is that the next Canon professional camera, to replace the 1DX3, will be the R1 or somesuch, and there will be no more professional DSLRs. But there may well be be more lower-level DSLRs. (No big surprise there.)

The other is that Canon Rumors has become lazy and did not go back to the original source article.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I have just woken up and read all this news and thread. I have two conclusions.

One is that the next Canon professional camera, to replace the 1DX3, will be the R1 or somesuch, and there will be no more professional DSLRs. But there may well be be more lower-level DSLRs. (No big surprise there.)

The other is that Canon Rumors has become lazy and did not go back to the original source article.
To be fair, the original article was in Japanese. It's easy for these kind of things to get lost in translation.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Some of us who do not live in denial could see this YEARS ago.
Like the guy in 2013 who predicted the death of the DSLR in 5 years? Or those more recently on here who stated Canon has stopped developing DSLRs?

The ones in denial are those suggesting Canon would do something other than continuing to make cameras that people want to buy. Not surprisingly, given that >40% of ILCs made this year are DSLRs, Canon’s CEO confirmed they are continuing to develop DSLR lines because demand remains strong.

Upvote 0