Canon exec confirms that the EOS-1D X Mark III is Canon’s last DSLR

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Some of us who do not live in denial could see this YEARS ago.
People have been predicting the demise of flappy mirrors for a decade. I don't think anyone claimed it would never happen, but plenty of people pointed out that it would take much longer than predicted. Saying "DSLRs are dead!" over and over again until the decline finally starts years later does not make one a prophet.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Quote from dpreview:

"As for smaller DSLR cameras, Mitarai doesn't specifically mention whether or not we can expect *new* DSLRs, but does say 'Demand for beginner and intermediate SLR cameras is strong overseas, so we plan to continue development and production for the time being.' "
Do DSLRs currently in production require development? I suppose it could mean firmware updates, but those are rare for xxxD models. I think the implication is there will be new entry-level DSLRs. This just seems like DPR ‘spin’.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Do DSLRs currently in production require development? I suppose it could mean firmware updates, but those are rare for xxxD models. I think the implication is there will be new entry-level DSLRs. This just seems like DPR ‘spin’.
It's apparently a direct quote from Mitarai, who is often ambiguous, but in this case seems to be stating quite firmly that "development and production" of beginner (Rebel) and intermediate (xxD) DSLRs will continue while demand still exists.

I agree that the implication is that new APS-C models (minor hardware upgrades) will appear, but I'm confident that we can wave goodbye to any ideas that there might be a successor to the 6DMkii.

Canon would I'm sure *prefer* that everyone dumped their DSLRs and that all new buyers went for RF mount models, but equally they'd be foolish to shut down lines that are still very profitable.

Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Indeed. I think Canon will continue to push entry-level DSLR's until they have a robust RF lineup of affordable lenses that would pair with the market and price-point of a xxxD-equivalent mirrorless, or until they gain a willingness from the market to pay more (which isn't outside the realm of possibilities).

Upvote 0
They could just put a new designed-for-mirrorless sensor into a DSLR, and a new DIGIC. That's what they did with the 90D.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah, it's over guys. I can see them making the 90D/850D/4000D as long as they keep selling, but there will be no new cameras or lenses. Maybe a firmware update to fix some bugs but that's it.
It’s wonderful that we have forum members who are so knowledgeable about Canon’s plans that they know Canon’s CEO is lying.

Although to be fair, it could be that some people don’t know what the word ‘development’ means in the context of product lines.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It's apparently a direct quote from Mitarai...
It is a "direct quote" that has been translated from the original language, which means it's really not "direct." Not being critical, just saying that it is best to exercise some caution when trying to parse statements that have been translated.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
One problem I see is that the feeder for EF lens development is full frame bodies. If we are at the end of the line for full frame DSLRs then we will inevitably be at the end of the line for EF lens development. A self-fulfilling spiral of death.

Sure, Canon could continue to develop EF-S lenses, but they showed little interest in EF-S lenses even during the height of the DSLR era. As long as Rebels are selling well, they might make some changes to EF-S lenses to reduce production costs and incorporate other efficiencies, but I don't see them developing new EF-S or EF lenses.

In my opinion the current level of sales for low-end DSLRs is not particularly illuminating and constantly falling back on those sales figures doesn't really prove anything. They are a snapshot in time, but can't predict the future.

Cell phone cameras will keep getting better and keep cutting into the Rebel market. The market will keep aging out and new young buyers won't be sufficient to replace the older ones. The younger buyers will focus on documenting their experiences through videos, selfies and food photos (all better suited to cell phones), rather than collecting a catalogue of the things and people that were more suitable for traditional cameras.

I don't envy any camera company, trying to stay in business by selling increasingly expensive products to a shrinking and aging market, with no good prospects to replace lost revenue by attracting new customers.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
Every time you say this you look even more foolish. However, I’d be delusional to think that even being contradicted by Canon’s CEO will stop you from further idiotic posts.
There hasn’t been an EF lens released in three years and you’re convinced more DSLR’s are coming? LMAO

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
There hasn’t been an EF lens released in three years and you’re convinced more DSLR’s are coming? LMAO
Given the market sector for the xxD/xxxD lines (or Rebels in America-speak) which is going to give more bang-for-the-buck - a new whizz-bang lens that improves on already exceptional quality or a camera that has gives one or more of the following: higher MP, higher DR, better AF or better general functionality? My guess is that it will not be the new lens.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Given the market sector for the xxD/xxxD lines (or Rebels in America-speak) which is going to give more bang-for-the-buck - a new whizz-bang lens that improves on already exceptional quality or a camera that has gives one or more of the following: higher MP, higher DR, better AF or better general functionality? My guess is that it will not be the new lens.
I'm not sure that the main market for "the xxD/xxxD lines" even thinks about higher MP, higher DR, better AF or better general functionality.

Now, if the Rebel could connect to popular social media sites for immediate uploading and sharing of photos with the same ease as smart phones, that might be a selling point.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What part of, “Demand for beginner and intermediate SLR cameras is strong overseas, so we plan to continue development and production for the time being,” don’t you understand?

Given the CEO’s statement, I’m certain we’ll see a new DSLR or two next year. There are plenty of consumer and higher EF lenses in production, and a need for Canon to fill out the RF line, so it’s no surprise that we haven’t seen any new EF lenses, and we probably won’t see more. I expect an EF-M lens or two, if only an updated kit lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
It's quite possible there could be updated Rebels or 90Ds in the next year, even if there is only a minimal improvement, if only so Canon can be seen to be releasing 'new' models. There is obviously still a market, which could well be only for the initial kit lenses that come with the body - but that market won't keep buying years-old models forever. unfocused's suggestion of better connectivity (a la smartphones) for entry level DSLRs is an interesting one, that could presumably be introduced at minimal cost or development.

I still think the future (>2 years) of lower $ ILC bodies is going to depend a lot on what happens with the lower cost R series bodies which are rumoured to appear in 2022 ...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Canon would I'm sure *prefer* that everyone dumped their DSLRs and that all new buyers went for RF mount models,
I wonder about this, though it's a commonly stated opinion. They want to sell their products, and at this point maybe there's more profit in selling DSLRs because there's less recent development costs to recoup. Perhaps selling an RF body would lock a customer into the system longer though. I don't think it's cut and dried either way.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I wonder about this, though it's a commonly stated opinion. They want to sell their products, and at this point maybe there's more profit in selling DSLRs because there's less recent development costs to recoup. Perhaps selling an RF body would lock a customer into the system longer though. I don't think it's cut and dried either way.
Yes, in the short term they would definitely like to continue selling large quantities of DSLR. But in the longer term they faced 2 issues:

Firstly, DSLRs have been developed about as far as they can go, so in order to produce more technologically "exciting" and feature-laden bodies, they had to go the mirrorless route. Secondly, they want people who already own Canon gear, to buy new lenses, rather than keep their old EF glass, so that required a new mount, and a new series of lenses that were clearly better in terms of image quality and specification than the EF lenses they replace.

I think the most admirable aspect of this transition, is that Canon ensured that their EF lenses were 100% compatible with the new camera bodies, allowing people to stagger the transition. To me this compatibility was vital, as it takes time to develop new lenses, and meanwhile I can continue using my favourite EF glass without compromise.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
What part of, “Demand for beginner and intermediate SLR cameras is strong overseas, so we plan to continue development and production for the time being,” don’t you understand?

Given the CEO’s statement, I’m certain we’ll see a new DSLR or two next year. There are plenty of consumer and higher EF lenses in production, and a need for Canon to fill out the RF line, so it’s no surprise that we haven’t seen any new EF lenses, and we probably won’t see more. I expect an EF-M lens or two, if only an updated kit lens.
I don't doubt production will continue for a while but "development" could mean a range of things and if there are any new DSLR's they won't be released in the USA.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Like the guy in 2013 who predicted the death of the DSLR in 5 years? Or those more recently on here who stated Canon has stopped developing DSLRs?

The ones in denial are those suggesting Canon would do something other than continuing to make cameras that people want to buy. Not surprisingly, given that >40% of ILCs made this year are DSLRs, Canon’s CEO confirmed they are continuing to develop DSLR lines because demand remains strong.
Hahahaha.

Upvote 0