Canon exec confirms that the EOS-1D X Mark III is Canon’s last DSLR

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
You can bet your life that there'll be at least one more budget APS-C Rebel model, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was also an upgrade to the very popular 90D.

But don't expect a DSLR replacement for the 5DMkiv, or the 5DSR.
Canon can't make a 90D successor. The 100D is already the SL1. =P We ran out of numbers! No more DSLRs!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

kirbic

CR Pro
Jun 20, 2016
I would not dismiss this as "clickbait." Frankly, if Canon will not develop any further flagship DSLRs, I find it very unlikely that they would further develop lower-cost DLSRs, which are more cost sensitive. Not saying it is impossible, just unlikely.
They have had smashing success with the RF mount, and with R&D resources needing careful allocation, why would they devote those precious resources to DSLR tech?

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I had to jump in. The article is misleading. The original newspaper article clearly states that Canon will continue to DEVELOP and PRODUCE beginner and intermediate DSLR's .. that really the 1DX Mark III just the last DSLR flagship.
Thanks for the clarification. Of course, people will continue to mis-read or mis-represent was is said in the article, including (alas) Canon Rumors Guy.

The quoted article is completely clear - it refers to the flagship model.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification. Of course, people will continue to mis-read or mis-represent was is said in the article, including (alas) Canon Rumors Guy.

The quoted article is completely clear - it refers to the flagship model.
To be fair Craig is on a beach somewhere in Costa Rica, I think he just took what photorumors stated as correct and went from there. I mean who would spend a lot of time researching the backstory when you're surrounded by Costa Rician chicas on a beach right?

;)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

With the R3, R5, and R6 I can't see DLSR versions in those lines anytime soon. I expect the R1 will match or best the Z9 which fixes all the issues I had with EVF shooting. So really DSLR's fit in the low end but those customers also want compact mirrorless bodies with eye AF so where can a DSLR really fit in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Canon can't make a 90D successor. The 100D is already the SL1. =P We ran out of numbers! No more DSLRs!

7D, 6D, 5D and 1D have all had "Mkii" versions, so nothing to stop Canon calling it "90D Mkii"...

Come to that, they could even go for "99D" if they wanted to.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

I'm not sure what features they'd add, or what improvements they'd make to the 90D, but I'm sure they could spice it up at minimal cost to ensure its continued popularity. I don't think they'd change the sensor, but maybe a higher magnification viewfinder, more AF points, or just a "limited edition" with different cosmetics.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
With the R3, R3, and R6 I can't see DLSR versions in those lines anytime soon. I expect the R1 will match or best the Z9 which fixes all the issues I had with EVF shooting. So really DSLR's fit in the low end but those customers also want compact mirrorless bodies with eye AF so where can a DSLR really fit in?
Yep, a camera with the best features of the Z9, R1 and a1 would fix most of the complaints about EVFs, but these high specification EVFs and associated electronics and viewfinder optics add a lot to the cost of a camera, and are only likely to appear on the most expensive models.

So there's plenty of room at the budget end of the market for new (or more likely, upgraded) APS-C DSLRs. Currently they're a lot cheaper to make than MILCs, partly because all the development, engineering and tooling costs are already covered.

I'm sure there will be cheap MILCs below the RP, but these will be poorly specified (probably e.g. only a low-res rear screen, no EVF).

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
7D, 6D, 5D and 1D have all had "Mkii" versions, so nothing to stop Canon calling it "90D Mkii"...

Come to that, they could even go for "99D" if they wanted to.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

I'm not sure what features they'd add, or what improvements they'd make to the 90D, but I'm sure they could spice it up at minimal cost to ensure its continued popularity. I don't think they'd change the sensor, but maybe a higher magnification viewfinder, more AF points, or just a "limited edition" with different cosmetics.
Yeah, they could. The 77D does exist, so it's not like it hasn't been done before.

However, with next year being the Year of the Camera Body, and the RP and R getting spiritual replacements for cheaper end full frame bodies and at least one APS-C RF body, my bet would be on more of a "R90" rather than a 99D as the replacement.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This is good closure for the DSLR users expecting a 5DV or 6D3. It’s not surprising either, the focus has been Mirrorless for a while now and if they aren’t going to be making EF lenses either there’s no need for new bodies too.
my 5d4 replaced my 5d3 and cost $3500. pretty obvious that the 5dr is is 5d5

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
... I'm sure they could spice it up at minimal cost to ensure its continued popularity. I don't think they'd change the sensor, but maybe a higher magnification viewfinder, more AF points, or just a "limited edition" with different cosmetics.
Absolutely right.

I think a lot will depend on what happens with the (rumoured) two low price R series bodies coming Real Soon Now (along with the rumoured APSC R body). Those will give us some deeper hints about what the future of Canon lower-$ ILCs looks like. But, the short term future is very likely to include minimally updated Rebels and M-series bodies (and lenses) - because they continue to sell like hotcakes.

Upvote 0

MythPlayer

EOS R6 Mark Ⅱ
Sep 7, 2021
This is the quote :
“Canon’s SLR flagship model is known as the “EOS-1” series, the first of which appeared in 1989. The latest model EOS-1D X Mark III released in 2020 will be the last model in fact”.
what about EOS 850D (Rebel T8i)? It's following 1Dx3 release after months

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Aside from rebel cameras, which Canon should have killed off already and replaced it with the m line, there is no reason to bring out another dslr. For who? The market has shrunk, semi-professional bodies cost thousands of dollars, there is nowhere for a DSLR to fit for the most part. Also the 90d is still on the market and is basically the equivalent of a 70D anyway.

So what DSLR could possibly be introduced and why?

The dream of selling customers a rebel and hoping that they upgrade to the RF mount and buy sweet $2,000 lenses is some kind of wacko fantasy at this point.

The M line has been mirrorless for many years now, they have plenty of better tech to be introduced into it to create a bottom level that can flourish- while all of the pros get charged massive prices for their red rings.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I've got an R5 and a 5DMkiv - I actually used my 5DMkiv today, and really enjoyed the experience.

DSLRs are a bit heavy, a bit noisy, the sensors are outdated, they don't have IBIS, and they can't track subjects very well, but the AF on the 5DMkiv is lightning fast, and the optical viewfinder is a joy to use - instantly available and with zero lag. If my R5 suddenly disappeared, I'd be just as happy with the DSLR. It's also more than capable of handling "difficult" subjects like BIF, macro etc. I find it rather sad that MILCs have all but ousted DSLRs from the marketplace.
Primarily due to video being much superior on MILCs. We live in a YouTube world and cameras must have competitve video specs, which DSLRs don't have. The last hold out for mirror slappers might be Pentax.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The market has shrunk, semi-professional bodies cost thousands of dollars, there is nowhere for a DSLR to fit for the most part.
Sure. After all, >40% of the ILCs produced this year were DSLRs, so it really does sound like there’s nowhere for them to fit.

Got any other asinine pronouncements to make, or would you rather quit before you embarrass yourself further?

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I had to jump in. The article is misleading. The original newspaper article clearly states that Canon will continue to DEVELOP and PRODUCE beginner and intermediate DSLR's .. that really the 1DX Mark III just the last DSLR flagship.
I can confirm this. The very last line of the original article clearly stated that demand for entry-level and mid-level models is stable in foreign markets, and that their development and production will continue for the time being.

"入門機や中級機の一眼レフカメラは、海外で需要が底堅いことから、当面は開発や生産を継続する方針だ。"

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Thanks. I think this quote from your story sums it up. This is exactly what many of us on this forum have been saying for quite some time.
If anything this article reaffirms that Canon's business model is basically if people are buying it, they will continue to make it. Whether that be the Rebel EF-S lineup, or the EOS-M lineup.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Yeah, they could. The 77D does exist, so it's not like it hasn't been done before.

However, with next year being the Year of the Camera Body, and the RP and R getting spiritual replacements for cheaper end full frame bodies and at least one APS-C RF body, my bet would be on more of a "R90" rather than a 99D as the replacement.
I think both are equally likely to happen.

Canon undoubtedly have an APS-C camera in RF mount at some stage of development, and are just analysing demand before deciding whether to put it in production. I'd expect it to have a new sensor, maybe about 28-30MP, and to be styled very much like the R6. It would be the spiritual successor to the 7DMkii, but would have vastly superior AF, probably 30fps, and would be aimed at the birding and sports/action market. At least, that's what I think, and hope. The problems are that tooling up for production would be expensive, the sensor would probably not be used in other models, and if Canon's gamble didn't pay off, they'd lose money on it.

A "90D Mkii" or whatever it's called, is another matter. It would cost next to nothing to put it in production because almost all the development, tooling etc would be carried over from the 70D, 80D and 90D. Already paid for. A few minor changes, to spice it up just enough to ensure that it continued to sell. Instant profit with virtually no initial outlay.

Is there more demand for a "R7" or a "90D Mkii" ? I don't know. Is there in fact sufficient demand for either of them, let alone both? Again I don't know. Neither do Canon, it's a gamble. But Canon are Number One, so they can afford to take gambles. If Canon produced an "R7" and a "90D Mkii", my choice would be the R7, but a 90D Mkii would be much cheaper to produce and would probably help them to sell all the EF glass that they have stockpiled.

Upvote 0