Canon executive talks a bit about the future

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
If you mean to get the most out of it then yes that is true.
If you mean for it to sell then as long as it is priced right it will sell.
Serious photographers can adapt EF lenses.
I was thinking about the main attraction of the M system for me, which is the compact size/weight it offers, so that it can be used as a very light setup on its own and/or as a second body for the EF system to take on an adapted EF telephoto lens for wildlife; or simply as a backup camera/lens to an RF system. In these scenarios, the light weight & small size make carrying the M system around much more attractive. And with a 32MP M5 Mark II, the IQ would at least be very good if the M lenses can match up.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
For the users of big white lenses out there...

Where on the body would you add a control ring?
The control ring works well on smaller lens bodies where you can adjust it with one hand whilst still handholding at the same time. If the big white is on a tripod/monopod/gimbal then having it close to the camera body sounds reasonable but handholding the lens would place your hand much further along the lens body for balance

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020

The control ring works well on smaller lens bodies where you can adjust it with one hand whilst still handholding at the same time. If the big white is on a tripod/monopod/gimbal then having it close to the camera body sounds reasonable but handholding the lens would place your hand much further along the lens body for balance
I agree with what you bring up but it is not what he said in the interview.
The additional weight excuse was not very convincing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I thought the interview was quite interesting and provided a high level summary of where they are going. As expected the interview did not answer if the R3 can provide high res (e.g 8K) video.

Most interesting to me were the following points:
  • In order to have a camera called the R1, Canon is pushing the technology for an even greater level of performance.
  • For AF improvements they are focusing on three areas: AF sensitivity, ultra-high speed, and AI-powered tracking.
  • They are considering cross-type AF / quad-pixel.
  • In terms of still photography they are focusing on three areas: resolution, high sensitivity, and dynamic range.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Nothing new here, there is no 'one ring to rule them all' camera body from any Mfg. It's up to you to chose if they work for your needs.
I think the point is, nowadays where the 'sensor is the film' there can't possibly ever be one camera optimized for all users.

I was a little jealous of Nikon shooters and the D850 option, to me it gave high mp, high fps (at crazy additional costs) the best at the time AF etc etc, it seemed like everything for everyone. But I now realize I simply do not need or want that kind of mp for every shot, birders want high pixel density but on smaller sensors, sometimes we want something smaller and lighter, sometimes we want something heavier to better balance a big heavy lens. No one body can fulfill the priorities of all users if for no other reason than cost!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021

If you’re handholding you might not want the weight of the control ring anywhere. Which appears to be their design choice.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
If you’re handholding you might not want the weight of the control ring anywhere. Which appears to be their design choice.
When I read Canon's comment what I pick up is "we rushed these out to satisfy a few discerning users - but we will not repeat with future lenses and one day we will redo these two as well".

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Two points – just distal to the focus ring is the focus preset ring (also does power focus), and just distal to that is the rubber ring with the AF-stop buttons. So, there are plenty of controls out on that part of the lens already. Also, the manual focus ring can be set to function as a control ring.

I think Canon just rushed the EF versions into an RF mount.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
It is so hard to imagine the weight of the control ring being an issue in the context of the weight of these lenses. I think it's more realistic that they didn't want to go through the effort of putting it in, and used weight as an excuse.

Upvote 0
"Canon still sees a demand for Rebel series cameras."

Yes, yes! We still need cheap entry level cameras with cheap lenses but a bit better technology. A Rebel series camera with a dozen of all cross-type f/5.6 sensitive AF points (and the look of the 1200D) and an EF(-S) 300 mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro lens with at least 0.75 meters minimum focusing distance would be welcomed. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
I almost have to laugh at the comment that 'Canon will continue to “promote” the EOS M lineup.'

I held out for a long time hoping that Canon would turn the EOS M lineup into something useful, but eventually gave up and went for a Fuji X-S10 as a travel camera. The biggest shortcoming of the EOS M lineup is the lack of decent EF-M lenses - quite simply nowhere compared to what Fuji's X mount system has available. A good example is the Fuji 18-55mm f/2.8-f/4 "kit" lens - which is a great compromise for travel. Canon has nothing like it.
The EF-M lens lineup seems to be targeted more at lower-spec use cases, which is quite unfortunate. I decided I would just have to put up with Fuji's absolutely abysmal menu system...

Upvote 0