Canon executive talks a bit about the future

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
DPReview has published an interview with Go Tukura, the Chief Executive of Image Communication Business Operations. Mr Tokura touches on a few things relevant to the EOS R, EOS M and other bits of information.
Highlights from the interview

Canon’s new BSI sensors will improve video quality, high ISO shooting and faster continuous shooting.
Canon still considers the EOS-1D X Mark III as their flagship camera body, even if the EOS R3 does best it in some specifications. Canon is actively working on an EOS R1.
The original development of the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM III and EF 600mm f/4L IS USM III didn’t consider the RF mount. The RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and...

Continue reading...

Sep 20, 2020
Absolutely for me too! However, there will need to be new EF-M lenses to take advantage of the 32MP sensor, assuming it would at least match the M6 Mark II.
If you mean to get the most out of it then yes that is true.
If you mean for it to sell then as long as it is priced right it will sell.
Serious photographers can adapt EF lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

reisi007

CR Pro
Aug 5, 2020
The R5 is a superb FF ML
Yes it is. But including lenses not really. Love my M50 with the Sigma 105 Macro to hunt for insects. Flight distance and lens weight is important for me as well.

E.g. R5/6 and 85mm f2 vs M50/etc and Sigma 56 f1.4 gets me similar pictures in case of portraits. One is cheap and small with silent focus, the other is bulky with slowish AF.... I do not understand why I should get into RF at this point in time.... Unless my proposed M5 Mark2 has an RF mount....

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
Happy to read this:
For the time being, we want to concentrate on expanding the system’s product lineup. Especially for lenses, in which we’ve assembled a lineup of high-end models, we want to gradually provide models at more affordable price points. We’re also working to design completely new and exciting models like the RF 600mm F11 IS STM and RF 800mm F11 IS STM.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes it is. But including lenses not really. Love my M50 with the Sigma 105 Macro to hunt for insects. Flight distance and lens weight is important for me as well.

E.g. R5/6 and 85mm f2 vs M50/etc and Sigma 56 f1.4 gets me similar pictures in case of portraits. One is cheap and small with silent focus, the other is bulky with slowish AF.... I do not understand why I should get into RF at this point in time.... Unless my proposed M5 Mark2 has an RF mount....
Can you catch a dragonfly in flight with your M50?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
He said: "Compared to CMOS sensors of previous generations, stacked CMOS sensors feature separate layers on the substrate: a pixel layer that enables higher image quality and a circuitry layer that provides increased performance. This construction makes possible higher-quality video capture, high-sensitivity still image and video capture and enables faster readout for higher-speed continuous shooting that will give very low rolling shutter distortion.". In that case why has Canon left it so long to use stacked sensors?

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
He said: "Compared to CMOS sensors of previous generations, stacked CMOS sensors feature separate layers on the substrate: a pixel layer that enables higher image quality and a circuitry layer that provides increased performance. This construction makes possible higher-quality video capture, high-sensitivity still image and video capture and enables faster readout for higher-speed continuous shooting that will give very low rolling shutter distortion.". In that case why has Canon left it so long to use stacked sensors?
The readouts for the R5 and 1DX Mark III are pretty quick.
My guess is the 20 FPS was the limit even though both of those cameras do shoot 30 FPS RAW video.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Can anyone make out what the his answer is when asked if the 1Dx3 is the professional flagship camera?

After re-reading it a few times, the answer seems to be yes and no! He would make any politician proud with that response.
I am paraphrasing but his answer was: Yes, but not in everything.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0