Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Talk [CR1]

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I recommend that you switch to sonyalpharumors.com, although you could also switch to nikonrumors.com. It’s great to be a rumor consumer these days, there are so many websites from which to choose.
You could also try 43rumors.com, but it isn’t as big as canonrumors, only a quarter the size and in a different format :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
A classic rangefinder digitally reloaded would surprise me, because that involves a lot of fine mechanics. Today, the production of such cameras would be quite costly. Leica's rangefinders are expensive, and Nikons remake of the S3 in the 2000s was also. Nikon had a lot of technical trouble with reviving this camera btw, if I remember correctly. Maybe today a part of the assembly of the mechanics could be automized with robots, in the days back it were done by low-paid women with petite fingers.

I am pretty sure that Canon will come up with a modern EVF ML body instead of plunging in such an economical adventure - much easier to assemble. If they stick with in-lens IS the body can be kept as mechanically simple as the first Sony A7 series. With the advancement of electronic shutters such a camera would be even more simple in the future.

You are perhaps being a bit too literal.

If I was developing a modern ML camera that in the end would look like a classic rangefinder updated with modern industrial design, I might very well nickname it the Rangefinder in homage to my company roots.

I saw a camera in the wild that was unlike anything Canon admits to. I am merely trying to describe it, and perhaps make some sense of the rumor we've been presented.

I am NOT describing or suggesting a classic split image rangefinder. It's not a Leica...

Repeat, NOT a rangefinder in the classic sense.

Just the shape is clearly reminiscent of those marvelous cameras of old...but just reminiscent, not a copy.

Although, when one considers how DPAF works, it is the electronic equivalent of the opto-mechnical split image rangefinder.

And that split image is a very effective tool for presenting in and out of focus. It wouldn't be a bad paradigm for presentation in the EVF.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
R stands for re-used. They will reuse one of their old sensor (such as the 5DM4 or 5DS). Could be an interesting introduction or just a reworked old camera - lipstick on a pig. We will know more next month.

Wonder how Canon is feeling now that Nikon introduced the Z6 and Z7? It would be nice to be able to sit in (with a translator) on the exec meetings.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I don't think laughter needs a translator.
Those two cameras are pre production models..... I would expect a lot of those flaws to be gone before the official release...... that said, Canon would never have passed out such buggy betas for evaluation.....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
You are perhaps being a bit too literal.

I am NOT describing or suggesting a classic split image rangefinder. It's not a Leica...

Repeat, NOT a rangefinder in the classic sense.

Just the shape is clearly reminiscent of those marvelous cameras of old...but just reminiscent, not a copy.

Although, when one considers how DPAF works, it is the electronic equivalent of the opto-mechnical split image rangefinder.

And that split image is a very effective tool for presenting in and out of focus. It wouldn't be a bad paradigm for presentation in the EVF.

Well, I think this is a discussion about nothing. DPAF is - like any version of phase detection AF - of course based on the rangefinder principle (trigonometry). So you could call all (D)SLRs and Canon's new DPAF sensor systems "rangefinder", but in fact, it doesn't tell anything. You also could call any camera a pinhole camera or camera obscura, because all modern cameras are descendants of this basic principle. But "pinhole" doesn't sound fancy, "rangefinder" does (again).

Upvote 0