Canon g7x and iPad Air

I have always shot RAW whenever I use a camera that allows it. When on trips I copy the files to my iPad air (ios 8) both for viewing and as a backup. I have done it with a 5DMkiii and an S95 without problem. However, I recently purchased a G7X and tried shooting RAW and importing to iPad. Strange things have happened. If I shoot both raw and jpg the iPad goes through the motions of importing the files (but quicker than would be expected) and no files are viewable in camera roll. If I shoot just raw it really gets weird. There are variations on this but generally if I shoot with a freshly formatted card and import it will go quickly through the first pic on the card and more slowing thru the rest. When I check camera roll the first pic is not there but the others usually are. If I should more pics and leave the old pics on the card sometimes it will successfully import all of the new batch of pics and sometimes it will still skip the first one of the new batch. It is not consistent. The raw pics that are successfully imported can be viewed on the iPad so viewing capability of a new raw format is not the issue. The issue seems to be the inability for it to consistently import all raw photos from the G7X. Anyone have any experience with this or thoughts on how to fix it? I would love to keep shooting just raw and importing them into the iPad.

According to most of the Apple fans I hear from, Apple products just work. They never have problems like this. And if a problem does happen to occur, Apple will support them.

When I owned a Mac and an iPhone and needed support, Apple routinely didn't think there was a problem. If I asked around, the response was usually, "Why would you want to do that?" I had to hunt and hunt and hopefully get lucky and find the answer myself in various forums on the net. Because the problem doesn't exist until Apple finally decides it does.

Have you tried calling the Apple store and talking to a "genius"?

My guess is that you are running into the same problem we all run into (regardless of maker)... support for the RAW file type you are trying to work with will require an update before it works as it should. Good luck! ;)

Upvote 0
I realize there can be issues when a new camera with RAW comes out until the software companies get caught up with the camera manufacturers. However, in this situation the RAW files can be viewed on the iPad once they are imported. The problem is that the iPad does not successfully import the first photo of the series being imported. I can see the photos on the card on the iPad before I import them. When I hit import, the iPad looks like it is importing the first photo but goes through the process more quickly than is normal. It then imports the other photos at a normal speed. When I look in Camera Roll on the iPad I can see the photos that appeared to import at normal speed, but not the first photo of the series that appeared to import quickly. It is as if the iPad rushes past the first photo without importing it. I am using iOS 8.1.1 which may or may not be the problem. It seems that if I can view them I should be able to import all of them.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I'm not an iPad owner so I can't actively diagnose the problem. However, if it was me, I would try doing the same thing on another iPad to at least determine if the problem is just that iPad. Depending on how the second iPad is set up, you could determine if it was the iOS version or something else. Good luck! Let us know what you discover or if you fix it.

Upvote 0