Canon Germany CashBack - November 1st 2014 to Januar 31st 2015

Nov 4, 2011
UPDATE: just called Canon Germany Support and reported the problem. The rep could "reproduce the problem on their website with GERMANY hardcoded for country of residence", does not understand "why" and promised to escalate the issue for internal clarification. They will get get back to me asap. I'll keep you posted. :)

btw. support number provided is the general Canon Germany Hotline +49 69 / 29 99 36 80 and not some external PR/Marketing agency.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
AvTvM said:
UPDATE: just called Canon Germany Support and reported the problem. The rep could "reproduce the problem on their website with GERMANY hardcoded for country of residence", does not understand "why" and promised to escalate the issue for internal clarification. They will get get back to me asap. I'll keep you posted. :)

btw. support number provided is the general Canon Germany Hotline +49 69 / 29 99 36 80 and not some external PR/Marketing agency.
Interesting issue.
AvTvM, thanks for doing this and keeping us informed.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
AvTvM said:
I have not checked for other EU countries, but since this "feature" is present in 3 countries' registration websites it does not appear to be an "oversight" in one country or by one of Canon's lawyers there. :)

Good catch, thanks! So they really try it, with the safeguard to excuse it as as a minor web coding mistake. Now some might say that's conspiracy theory, but alas, we're on Canon *rumors* here :->

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
LDS said:
Don't complain too much... the Italian one (http://www.canon.it/winter-cashback) offers no cameras, - only some lenses and flashes.

interesting, Thanks! Lenses and speedlites seem to be sthe same across all EU countries. Cashback amounts do vary in some instances. There are also additional features, that have been set on a national basis - e.g. in Germany you an extra € 50 "bonus" if you purchase 2 (or more) of the participating products.

Therefore it is even more important that EU consumers can freely choose within the entire EU were they purchase products online and get the the same price and conditions as any resident of that respective EU country will. :)

On the Italian form "ITALY" is also locked for country, although the form setup is slightly different:
https://canon-winter-2014-it.sales-promotions.com/?country_promotion=16&lng=it

and "UK" on the UK form
https://canon-winter-2014-uk.sales-promotions.com/?country_promotion=2&lng=en

so it is definitely not a "bug" or an "oversight" ... but a Canon "decision".

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
Grummbeerbauer said:
For me, it is actually good that the 70-200 2.8 IS II is not on the list ...
Be careful not to get too close to any of them. They are really sticky ;)
But as you already have the F4 you are very well equiped.
Seems I am not off the hook yet... I just noticed that there is a 300€ cashback if you get a 70-200 2.8 IS II together with the 7D Mk.II... while the verdict on that camera isn't really out for me (waiting for reviews of some more renowned sources), that might make a tempting combination. But even with cashback, that combo ends up well north of 3000€. :-\
Another option would be to get the 15-85 alongside the 7DII - on my last vacation where I had mainly been using the 17-55 2.8 in best lighting (Mediterranean summer sun) were the f2.8 wasn't needed, I always thought that something that goes a little wider and offers a tad more reach might suit that use case much better.
But since only a long tele zoom would be a really an extension of my photographic possibilites, I might be able to keep my GAS in check. ;)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Canon has just informed me they "unlocked" the country field on the German registration form:
https://canon-winter-2014-germany.sales-promotions.com/?country_promotion=4&lng=de

UK and other EU country registration forms for Winter/Christmas Cashback 2014 are still locked to the repective country however. https://canon-winter-2014-uk.sales-promotions.com/?country_promotion=2&lng=en

I'll get back to them and suggest, they unlock ALL of their EU country registration forms. So we get what is our right as consumers: non discriminatory access to goods and prices across the entire common market = in all EU countries. As resident in any Eu country you may then purchase items wherever you get the best price for them - after cash-back is applied. Obviously you'll have to look at the whole picture: price in (online) shop, cash-back conditions for the repsective country and product, shipping cost, taxation differences [VAT].

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Maximilian said:
AvTvM, thanks again for the update and also for your effords.

you're welcome. To me, it is a matter of principle. Don't want to get too political ... but don't see why multinational corporations should reap all benefits of globalization for themselves while denying them to their paying customers. :)

If I hear more from Canon on this subject, I'll post it.

Upvote 0