Canon has pulled firmware v1.2.0 for the Canon EOS R3 due to a bug

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has removed the firmware v1.2.0 download for the Canon EOS R3 due to a bug in the software.
The bug is described on the DPReview Forum
The issue is that if you have v1.2 on your camera and then perform a reset the mode dial does not work correctly and you cannot change between Tv Av etc
If you have updated to firmware v1.2.0 for the Canon EOS R3, do not do any resets until v1.2.1 is released.
Canon has always fixed these sorts of firmware bugs pretty quickly, so I would expect an update very soon.

Continue reading...

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
Another example of why I wait a few weeks to install new computer OS updates and camera firmware updates.
A sensible approach, although some bugs slip through testing and are only found post-deployment as a result of end users doing their thing - but it's always better that someone else finds it before you!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
And this folks is what happens when cameras become heavily dependent on computing, the increase in functionality comes at the cost of an increase in complexity. Along with this comes an increasing number of variables that are difficult to account for whenever changes and updates are made. Without a proper testing environment and time to carry out exhaustive tests, the consumers/end-users become the beta testers.

Now just like your personal computer, cameras can have software (firmware) bugs, and they also freeze up and require power disconnection (battery removal) to get them running again. As more computing functionality gets added, expect much more of this. Anyone who has ever worked in the IT industry will tell you this is a immutable aspect of computing technology.

As I always keep reminding people, there is always a cost for everything. The personal choice is if you're happy with the tradeoffs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
And this folks is what happens when cameras become heavily dependent on computing, the increase in functionality comes at the cost of an increase in complexity. Along with this comes an increasing number of variables that are difficult to account for whenever changes and updates are made. Without a proper testing environment and time to carry out exhaustive tests, the consumers/end-users become the beta testers.

Now just like your personal computer, cameras can have software (firmware) bugs, and they also freeze up and require power disconnection (battery removal) to get them running again. As more computing functionality gets added, expect much more of this. Anyone who has ever worked in the IT industry will tell you this is a immutable aspect of computing technology.

As I always keep reminding people, there is always a cost for everything. The personal choice is if you're happy with the tradeoffs.
they probably just need better programmers. Canon is a camera company i cant see the software being that complicated compared to cellphone tech. the issue seems like a simple fix.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0